Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Elton John – Goodbye Yellow BrickRoad (Speakers Corner reissue)

This is another high-quality vinyl product from the German reissue label, but it's not without issue.

It's cutconsiderably louder than my original Canadian pressing, so forcomparison purposes I brought it down to where I thought it was equal. The LP is very quiet with no lead-in crackle, it's perfectly flat and there is no off-centre issue to report with my copy. Bass and low-level detail are much more pronounced and I thought it showed wonderful three-dimensionality. It did not however blow me out of the water as Supertramp-Crime of the Century did, but maybe that's because my original of this is better than COTC. I don't know the definitive answer to that.

The product let me down with its packaging. It's a bare bones product with no original gatefold cover, and the cardboard is rather thin and cheap. For the price that was a letdown. It could be argued that the money went into the mastering and manufacturing of the vinyl itself, and I'm ok with that since it is the obvious prime motivation for a purchase.

All in all my original copy fared very well against this reissue, especially considering how old it is and the number of times it has been played.The reissue is an improvement of some significance, but I wouldn't call it an absolutely must-have pressing.

Would I spend the $70 again if given the chance? NO, I would not. The difference in sound quality is not enough and the product packaging was treated as an afterthought, which is a real shame.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing