For The Love of Physics: this is how you get people interested in Physics

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is a video by Professor of Physics Emeritus, Walter Lewin of MIT. Please don't go to another thread :). It is a very nice and enjoyable 40 minute video on a few physics topics (such as why sky is blue). Importantly, it shows that there are teachers that can really engage and get one interested in the topic as Prof. Lewin does. If all physics classes were taught like this, we would not need exams because we are all so interested that we learn the topic as presented! Really fun video and I hope you take the time to watch it.

Here is the description that goes with the video which has some 600,000 views!

"Uploaded on Dec 5, 2011
On May 16, 2011, Professor of Physics Emeritus Walter Lewin returned to MIT lecture hall 26-100 for a physics talk and book signing, complete with some of his most famous physics demonstrations to celebrate the publication of his new book: For The Love Of Physics: From the End of the Rainbow to the Edge Of Time - A Journey Through the Wonders of Physics, written with Warren Goldstein."

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, you may want to click on the youtube icon and watch it on Youtube and then go full screen (my HTML5 player doesn't seem to have a full screen button???). There are equations and such that can't be read in the small screen. Also be sure to select HD quality once there.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I just finished watching the entire video; that was really great for a change, thanks to you Amir.

1. The pendulum: good start on hypnosis of the audience. ;)
2. The bob (mass), that's me! :b
3. Walter has a good sense of humor, and I like his shirt (colorful, like his humor). :cool:

* Art History is his Love, what he does for fun (just like I; all categories of ART). ...And Physics of course is his Life (Nature is my life).

I enjoyed very much watching this Amir; it was peaceful.

Physics are applicable to our Audio/Video (Music, Cinema) hobbies.
-> The friction between the needle and the album's grooves.
-> The laser beam reading the pits of a CD.
-> The light projected on our screen.
-> The motor's speed.
Etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:

chumlie

Jul 7, 2013
Glad to see I'm not the only physics junky around. I enjoy the Richard Feynman lectures. Also found Lawrence Krauss '' A Universe From Nothing '' was very interesting.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think that shirt defies the laws of physics.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you watched the video, you know that Prof. Lewin is famous for his ability to draw dotted lines on the blackboard. Someone who had nothing better to do put together a montage of him drawing such lines across all of his lectures. And 7 million people like me who had even less to do in life watched it. :D It is only 2 minutes:

[video=youtube;l789l6np-qA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l789l6np-qA[[/video]

And yeh, there are youtube videos on how you can do that!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If you watched the video, you know that Prof. Lewin is famous for his ability to draw dotted lines on the blackboard. Someone who had nothing better to do put together a montage of him drawing such lines across all of his lectures. And 7 million people like me who had even less to do in life watched it. :D It is only 2 minutes:

[video=youtube;l789l6np-qA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l789l6np-qA[[/video]

And yeh, there are youtube videos on how you can do that!

I watched that video in its entirety Amir, and I just couldn't figure out how ho does it.

* Does it mean that I too have nothing better to do with my time? :D

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Thanks Amir, I love science videos. I will watch it later.

I watched that video in its entirety Amir, and I just couldn't figure out how ho does it.

Bob, a math teacher in high school knew how to do that. You hold the chalk at a certain angle - slightly past the perpendicular of the surface in the opposite direction to the line you are drawing, then draw your line very quickly. The chalk with hop and skip over the board as it catches and releases. You also need to grip the chalk firmly but apply just the right amount of pressure.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As you all know, the subject of physics and anything having to do with mathematics escapes my understanding, but THIS I understood (please, no quiz). I really enjoyed it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yeah, I thought of something like that from the very first time I saw him do it on that first video from your first post.
...Didn't want to spend too much time on it though.

Yes, I am in good company; with the 7 million more people who saw it too? ...Or/and with the people here? ;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for posting the video, Amir - indeed fascinating, and what a great talent he is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing