Amina HD4 PreAmp Photos (Blessed to have a preamp I can afford)

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good Thursday Morning Forum Members,

I've got some photos of the Amina HD4 tape head preamp to post here. Again, I have had additional time listening to this fine tape head preamp and love the quality of sound. Now I want to start purchasing a few classical music tapes. My next purchase will be from Mr. Ed Pong. I understand that Mr. Tony Ma as done amazing things with the electronics they use to produce tapes. I also understand they use tape that record at a higher level than is ordinary and put a signal at the beginning of the tape so decks can be re-calibrated. I do hope Mr. Pong gets around to recording some choral music which I love just as much as I love jazz. The human voice is a fantastic instrument and I love, love, love the sound. Were it not for my first exposure to the Tape Project and then this fine forum I would not have gotten back into reel to reel tape. That's another reason I feel blessed. I am going to try and post these photos now. Well, I'm still having problems uploading photos. So, bear with me on this. I am not that computer literate but getting better. Thanks all.

jazzbo Bob

Last edited:

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
pict0026.jpg pict0023.jpg pict0029.jpg pict0030.jpg pict0032.jpg

The Amina HD4 tube tape head pre amp has, Left & Right Level Controls, On/Off Switch, NAB/IEC Switch and Trim Control. Regarding tubes it has: (1) EZ81, (2) 12AX7's, (1) 6SN7. That's all I know forum members. If anyone needs additional info, go to: www.aminaaudio.com
Mr. Benny Amina is one of the nicest persons I've met besides those here on this forum. Now, lets see if Mr. Steve Williams and my efforts get the photos uploaded. If successful, Steve gets all the credit. Thanks Steve.

jazzbo Bob

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congrats! Looks beautiful.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Jazdoc and NorthStar, you guys are too kind. Thank you so much for your kinds words. I was only able to get these photos up because of the instructions provided by Steve Williams. It's amazing that the instructions for posting photos provided by the forum website is so much more complicated. Again, everyone here has been so gracious and kind to me. Thanks guys.

jazzbo Bob

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Wow! Looks super Jazzbo and congrats on taking a great step forward.

Roger

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Wow! Looks super Jazzbo and congrats on taking a great step forward.

Roger

Thanks Roger and what were would I be if it were not for you and all the other heavyweights here. It's wonderful to now be able to hear some of what you guys talk about when you post. It's drooling time for me each time I read a post where you guys talk about various tape decks and tape head preamps. I am just thankful to have the knowledge base that's here and on the Tape Project's forum. I learn something very important from each of you and that's key to any forward movement I do.

jazzbo bob ;)

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Bob
Very nice in such price range ! one thing I have to mention that output is connect to you system will show nothing on the VU meter of the deck, in playing of our tape, you have to use level control to adjust the level down to 0db (not necessary in exactly 0 value) by our test tone, so you can add a VU meter (if you have one) to the output jack for adjust or modify the one of the deck for using, you can ask your tech about this and ask him if +4db input is too hot for the output stage ? or are there a pre set gain control in there ? but you can try to control by your ear first, set your system preamp volume control in normal position and control the HD4 volume control to the best sounding level will do
tonyma

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hi Bob
Very nice in such price range ! one thing I have to mention that output is connect to you system will show nothing on the VU meter of the deck, in playing of our tape, you have to use level control to adjust the level down to 0db (not necessary in exactly 0 value) by our test tone, so you can add a VU meter (if you have one) to the output jack for adjust or modify the one of the deck for using, you can ask your tech about this and ask him if +4db input is too hot for the output stage ? or are there a pre set gain control in there ? but you can try to control by your ear first, set your system preamp volume control in normal position and control the HD4 volume control to the best sounding level will do
tonyma

Hello Tony,

I appreciate this important information sir. I have a "repro" button on my tape deck that permits me to use the 2nd playback head to read the tape. My tech set the Tascam up that way. I was aware that I was going to order some of your tapes and would need to be able to use the VU meters. So, all is well with that. I am just waiting to put a few more dollars together and then I will order the Chaconne tape as my first one. I want to order the Grieg piano tape next. Thanks again sir for your past help.

jazzbo

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hello Tony,

I appreciate this important information sir. I have a "repro" button on my tape deck that permits me to use the 2nd playback head to read the tape. My tech set the Tascam up that way. I was aware that I was going to order some of your tapes and would need to be able to use the VU meters. So, all is well with that. I am just waiting to put a few more dollars together and then I will order the Chaconne tape as my first one. I want to order the Grieg piano tape next. Thanks again sir for your past help.

jazzbo
Bob
You are mix it up, the repro button in deck to read the tape is for the preamp of the Tascam not HD4, and your HD4 is direct from the head that you need adjust the HD4's output signal in 0db level to play our tape
tony ma

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Looks great!

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Bob
You are mix it up, the repro button in deck to read the tape is for the preamp of the Tascam not HD4, and your HD4 is direct from the head that you need adjust the HD4's output signal in 0db level to play our tape
tony ma

Dear Tony,
You are so right. I was wrong due to rushing trying to respond. However, I will have to listen to set the correct level. I will send you a PM when I purchase the Chaconne tape so that you can advise me what to listen for in order to set the tone level. Thanks sir.

Bob

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Bob, you must realize that you've helped bring another piece of hardware to our attention. This is very valuable to the "reel" cause! Thank you.

Bruce

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Dear Bruce, man, my primary reason for sharing here is because you guys have shared so very much with me and others. Just like you guys, I can't keep good news to myself. I've got to let as many as I can know the good news. There are still many folk who, like me, cannot afford the other great tape head preamps out there. The $1195.00 I paid is more than reasonable for the quality I'm getting. I can't wait to start doing some tube rolling and I will share that as well. I'm a snitch for this reel to reel thing we have (LOL). Thanks again Bruce. :D

Bob

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Shoot...you're ahead of me, Bob :D
I'm still usin' the stock Studer electronics ;)
Congrats :cool:

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Shoot...you're ahead of me, Bob :D
I'm still usin' the stock Studer electronics ;)
Congrats :cool:

Hey, Hey, Hey my friend, but, that's a Studer you're talking about. My mouth waters when I see that name. I really learn so much from those of you with the Studers, Ampex and other studio decks. They are truly awesome recording and playback machines. Don't knock yourself for just having the Studer electronics to listen to :)

bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing