Trinity DAC

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Here's a picture of the new transport.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks Wizard! You always have some insider info on every brands!

I personally don't like suck-in CD transport mechanisms. Disappointing. :(

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, those are cheap :)
They're excused if Trinity implemented something like the MSB transports, with asynchronous playback.

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes, those are cheap :)
They're excused if Trinity implemented something like the MSB transports, with asynchronous playback.

alexandre

The MSB player is a (probably) a memory player, but the communication protocol with the DAC is not asynchronous. The I2S pro interface is synchronous.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The MSB player is a (probably) a memory player, but the communication protocol with the DAC is not asynchronous. The I2S pro interface is synchronous.

Where did you get that info from ?

In the following video, Larry from MSB says the clock is sent from the DAC to the transport, which means it is asynchronous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZTQ5wp7i3w

The old MSB Network interface was synchronous. This is of the main differencies between the UMT and UMT Plus.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Can I ask what is the clock link feature?

The separate line that is used to send clock signal. It has been used on dCS components for the past 10+ years.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Trinity transport:

vmda.jpg

n7ox.jpg

From what I was told, it should be unveiled in HK in 2 weeks time.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Where did you get that info from ?

In the following video, Larry from MSB says the clock is sent from the DAC to the transport, which means it is asynchronous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZTQ5wp7i3w

The old MSB Network interface was synchronous. This is of the main differencies between the UMT and UMT Plus.

Yes, the transport is slaved to the DAC clock, but all this communication still happens in a continuous flow in real time, so this is a synchronous architecture.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Yes, the transport is slaved to the DAC clock, but all this communication still happens in a continuous flow in real time, so this is a synchronous architecture.

Indeed you are right. My understanding of the word asynchronous was wrong.

Which doesn't really change the fact, that the best interfaces for audio are those, whre clock is generated in the DAC and sent back to the transport.

Asynchronous USB is one of them. MSB's Pro I2S is another.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Which doesn't really change the fact, that the best interfaces for audio are those, whre clock is generated in the DAC and sent back to the transport.

Asynchronous USB is one of them. MSB's Pro I2S is another.

I don't think asynchronous USB sends a clock back to the transport.

If the trinity transport / dac combo does this (i.e. send clock to transport) using a USB connection, they would have to implement a proprietary protocol using the USB interface, much like PS Audio did with I2S over HDMI.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It is called asychronous because the dac's master clock isn't synchronized directly to any clocks within the computer. Instead, the dac is controlled by a fixed-frequency clock. This clock controls the datastream from the computer to a buffer near the DA converter.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
It is called asychronous because the dac's master clock isn't synchronized directly to any clocks within the computer. Instead, the dac is controlled by a fixed-frequency clock. This clock controls the datastream from the computer to a buffer near the DA converter.

Correct. Unlike I2S Pro, USB is truly asynchronous, and the DAC generates the clock, but this is not send back to the transport/computer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

(....) MSB's Pro I2S is another.

This system was used by several manufacturers such as Sony and Krell in their top transports and DACs in the late 80's - early 90's. However it was quickly abandoned.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
This system was used by several manufacturers such as Sony and Krell in their top transports and DACs in the late 80's - early 90's. However it was quickly abandoned.

Yes, it was abandoned by Krell and Sony, but only because they stopped making separates altogether !

Most manufacturers of top level digital front ends still use it - MSB, dCS, Esoteric, Stahl/Tec, CH Precision, Accuphase, Zanden - you name it. It is much better than than the ubiquitous SPDIF interface.

The only hi-end manufacturer that stopped using the clock link feature I can think of right now is EMM - and that is only because they developed thier proprietary technology (which I belive is RAM buffer based).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, it was abandoned by Krell and Sony, but only because they stopped making separates altogether !

Most manufacturers of top level digital front ends still use it - MSB, dCS, Esoteric, Stahl/Tec, CH Precision, Accuphase, Zanden - you name it. It is much better than than the ubiquitous SPDIF interface.

The only hi-end manufacturer that stopped using the clock link feature I can think of right now is EMM - and that is only because they developed thier proprietary technology (which I belive is RAM buffer based).

This is interesting...for some reason, I thought the Zanden clock was in the Transport. The articles/reviews I have read refer to their double-oven crystal oscillator as resident inside the Transport and that the clock information travels on a parallel track to the audio information via the i2s connection. I am no techie so I apologize if I have missed something self-evident to others.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
This is interesting...for some reason, I thought the Zanden clock was in the Transport. The articles/reviews I have read refer to their double-oven crystal oscillator as resident inside the Transport and that the clock information travels on a parallel track to the audio information via the i2s connection. I am no techie so I apologize if I have missed something self-evident to others.

Yes, because Zanden - for whatever reason, got it wrong. Instead of placing the clock where it can operate at its best (least amount of jitter) i.e. very close to the DAC chipset and send it back to the transport, they are sending it from the transport to the DAC. Since it is on a separate line, it is still better then the clock recovered from SPDIF signal, but nowhere near as clean as if thay placed it in the DAC as it has to go through PLL loop anyway.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, AFAIK the clock is in the transport and the I2C feeds it to the DAC - as I2S has separate lines for clock, word and data, it should be equivalent to having the clock in the DAC. However, IMHO, the implementation is much more important than the topology in digital audio. No one will be able to tell how a digital unit sounds just looking at topology or measurements, unless it is very strongly typed or colored.

BTW, I was told yesterday by a good friend that HifiNews reviewed the new Metronome very expensive top units - time to read how Poly(methyl methacrylate) affects digital! :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, because Zanden - for whatever reason, got it wrong. Instead of placing the clock where it can operate at its best (least amount of jitter) i.e. very close to the DAC chipset and send it back to the transport, they are sending it from the transport to the DAC. Since it is on a separate line, it is still better then the clock recovered from SPDIF signal, but nowhere near as clean as if thay placed it in the DAC as it has to go through PLL loop anyway.

Adam,

IMHO, this is not forcefully true - generating and sending high bandwidth signals needs special care and techniques to deal with delays, reflections and noise. Sometimes a finite length of cable is better than no cable. What are you calling "clean"?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Adam,

IMHO, this is not forcefully true - generating and sending high bandwidth signals needs special care and techniques to deal with delays, reflections and noise. Sometimes a finite length of cable is better than no cable. What are you calling "clean"?

When you place it in the DAC, you can use a free running clock (no PLL = jess jitter). The PLL goes to the transport (which has to synchronise its own clock with the clock signal incoming from the DAC).

Another advantage is that you can place the clock a few cm/mm from the DAC chipset itself, which also helps to minimise jitter.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
When you place it in the DAC, you can use a free running clock (no PLL = jess jitter). The PLL goes to the transport (which has to synchronise its own clock with the clock signal incoming from the DAC).

Another advantage is that you can place the clock a few cm/mm from the DAC chipset itself, which also helps to minimise jitter.

Perhaps I was not clear - the signal clock of the transport is sent trough a separate hardware line in I2C - there is no added jitter. Close proximity does not minimize jitter, although it can seem the logical way of doing it.

BTW, I read in the MSB site that they are DSD ready. What does it mean exactly? Why only ready, not full DSD?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing