Trinity DAC

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
DLNA is a subset of UPNP, with more restrictions, DRM, etc. In practice, it's the same thing.

That's not truly the case. UPNP is a specific to device - sharing over a network(s), DLNA is specific to sharing content (more device agnostic).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Does anyone have the Trinity PC & Drive owner's manual ?

I just have one home, but it came without the manual, and I have no idea how to make it work :/

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn

TRINITY

Sep 12, 2013
Germany
The Trinity server is a Windows 10 system with 10TB HDD and an additional SSD for the operation system and software.

Hy guys,
the problem with Linux based sources is on the Linux side and not on the TRINITY USB side. The TRINITY USB interface is conform with the USB standards.
That is the reason why it works without any problems with MAC OS and Windows, but Linux is a freeware.
The Linux runs in problems if a X-MOS chip set used for the USB Interface. So the problem can only be solved by the manufacturer of the source device, who has to program his Linux firmware correct.
We had the same problem with Aurender, which is also based on LINUX and the former German dealer worked together with Aurender to get an firmware update and they solved the problem after a long remote session.
A friend of mine who also build own mediaPCs with a LINUX OS is also using this interface and he told me that even a running Linux system can stop working after a LINUX update and than he has again to look for the root cause.
That is the reason why I prefer an open Windows system.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
OK, I have reached Dietmar for a support, who walked me through the setup.

As it turned out - it is a very straightforward process. It is even easier to setup than Aurender - no small feat. Once powered on, the PC&Drive creates its own WiFi network, so all you have to do is to download an app on an iPad, connect to that network and you are ready to go.

No local WiFi or wired Etherned connection are even necessery. The Trinity system is basicly self contained.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
OK, I have reached Dietmar for a support, who walked me through the setup.

As it turned out - it is a very straightforward process. It is even easier to setup than Aurender - no small feat. Once powered on, the PC&Drive creates its own WiFi network, so all you have to do is to download an app on an iPad, connect to that network and you are ready to go.

No local WiFi or wired Etherned connection are even necessery. The Trinity system is basicly self contained.

Can it incorporate HQ player .... How would you compare it to the W20 ?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You probably could from technical point of view - the current versions are NUC i5 based (among other improvements in PSU department), so are quite powerful in terms of computing power - many times faster than Aurenders. You could probably even install Roon + HQP on them, although in that case I think it would be best to install an SSD instead of the 6TB starage HDD (for faster Roon access speeds) and have your music on an external NAS drive.

The Windows system is 'locked' somehow, meaning that many things seem to be switched off and do not work as expected - it seems Dietmar wanted to limit the possibilities for the user to mess around (which is a wise strategy for a manufacturer). To use it with my lampi for comparative purposes I would need to install the Amanero driver - something I do not want risk doing.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You probably could from technical point of view - the current versions are NUC i5 based (among other improvements in PSU department), so are quite powerful in terms of computing power - many times faster than Aurenders. You could probably even install Roon + HQP on them, although in that case I think it would be best to install an SSD instead of the 6TB starage HDD (for faster Roon access speeds) and have your music on an external NAS drive.

The Windows system is 'locked' somehow, meaning that many things seem to be switched off and do not work as expected - it seems Dietmar wanted to limit the possibilities for the user to mess around (which is a wise strategy for a manufacturer). To use it with my lampi for comparative purposes I would need to install the Amanero driver - something I do not want risk doing.

sounds like the PC & Drive has things in common with the SGM using using a trimmed down Windows 10 with lots of latent parts locked down.

I've considered how the Trinity dac might sound with HQ Player + Roon through the SGM. it might be really fine.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Indeed. Many people went NOS DAC route not realising, it is the type of digital filter they dislike, not the very concept of digital filtering itself.

Great reports I keep hearing from people who tried the Aqua Formula DAC (which is also a NOS type DAC) with HQP upsampled signal suggest the Trinity DAC may also benefit from this kind of signal manipulation.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

i5 won't be snuff to do very high rate up sampling if both Roon and HQP are used.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
i5 won't be snuff to do very high rate up sampling if both Roon and HQP are used.

I can do DSD 256 upsampling on my i5 no problem, so DSD 512 upsampling with -2 filters should work too. All is very academic though, as I seriously doubt that someone will use the PC&Drive with a different DAC than the Trinity, which will only need PCM upsampling. For that, the i5 CPU is actually much more powerful than necessary.

TRINITY

Sep 12, 2013
Germany
I can do DSD 256 upsampling on my i5 no problem, so DSD 512 upsampling with -2 filters should work too. All is very academic though, as I seriously doubt that someone will use the PC&Drive with a different DAC than the Trinity, which will only need PCM upsampling. For that, the i5 CPU is actually much more powerful than necessary.

Hi Guys,
the newer mediaPCs are always based on the latest NUC generation. The one Elberoth is using was the first batch which was based on a slim mini-ITX board, since at that time the NUCs had no USB 3.0 interfaces.
That means the next batch will be based on a 7th generation i5 and if we would use an external power supply we could install 2 x 12TB HDDs. I think 24TB should be enough for the next years.
The installed windows OS is not limited ( at least not on the day of shipping), you have full access to the OS system. The OS and the additional software are stored on a dedicated SSD and the regular HDD is used only to store the music. That makes it easier for DIY freaks to change the OS, you just replace the SSD with an empty SSD and install what ever you want and if it does not run as expected, you can re-change the SSD (one screw) and you have back your running system. So we could test a Linux installation of my friend with the W10 installation on the same hardware.
The last batch was equipped with a Blu-ray drive and the memories and SSD were specified for high speed gaming and of course we can assemble the additional transmitter board for the optical USB 2.0 (480Mbs) interface, which connects the mediaPc with the DAC via a duplex single mode fiber cable. The USB receiver board has to be inside of the DAC since it needs the clean power supply of the DAC.
By the way you should not updated the wifi drivers, since only the one I have installed allow the creation of an own hot spot.
I used to use the HQ player as well, of course you can install this software on the mediaPC as well. About the processor power, playing a DSD file in Foobar cost not more than 10% processor power(together with all other running processes), so I am sure you can run additional DSP apps as well without any problems. You can see in the task manager the processor load depending on the running Programms.
As you know the TRINITY DAC can work alone with the LIANOTEC architecture without oversampling filters, if the sample rate is 176.4 or 192kHz. For lower sampling rates I prefer a digital up-sampling plus Lianotec.
Here an old paper I had written about NOS systems as we started with my old company GTE. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9u6uv8twgd91okx/AABH3hdd0hgsqwmKbkEdkIY1a?dl=0

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Please do. The W20 sounds much better. The old S10 isn't any better than a regular computer when using it via its USB out.

In my experience, the USB signal quality makes a big difference with this DAC.

Hi Elberoth.

Did you have the W20? I'm considering it vs N10.
Being a Lampi Komputer owner. Whats your opinon about caps?
SGM 2015 is also on my radar.......

Regards.

PM: I'm sorry to go out to the original thread, but i don't find another one that includes the Eleberoth's opinión.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Central external PSU, for the upcoming Golden Reference Series . image.jpeg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Central external PSU, for the upcoming Golden Reference Series .

Jazzhead,

so does this power supply boost the Trinity dac performance too?

and is that then considered an upgrade to 'Golden Reference Series' level for the Trinity dac? or would there be other changes to the dac planned too to raise it to that 'Golden' level?

thanks.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Jazzhead,

so does this power supply boost the Trinity dac performance too?

and is that then considered an upgrade to 'Golden Reference Series' level for the Trinity dac? or would there be other changes to the dac planned too to raise it to that 'Golden' level?

thanks.

Mike ,

Of what I know ..... there will be a redesign to the control unit as well, in order to elevate it to Golden Reference Standard . Plus some added gold bling to the front panel ,of which I probably will not be a fan . The GR phono and pre will be ready for the upcoming AE show next month, along with the new Media PC / transport . Not sure as to when the GR DAC will be conceived .

Cheers.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike ,

Of what I know ..... there will be a redesign to the control unit as well, in order to elevate it to Golden Reference Standard . Plus some added gold bling to the front panel ,of which I probably will not be a fan . The GR phono and pre will be ready for the upcoming AE show next month, along with the new Media PC / transport . Not sure as to when the GR DAC will be conceived .

Cheers.

thank you.

will the GR version be able to do higher resolutions natively, dxd 352 and 384?

any mention of provisions for dsd?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
thank you.

will the GR version be able to do higher resolutions natively, dxd 352 and 384?

any mention of provisions for dsd?

Your welcome . Sorry , nothing on the DAC as of now . Do not think DSD is in the scheme of things , purely speculating here .

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Dietmar once told me that going DXD would require a complete DAC clocking system redesign, which was a challenge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing