Trinity DAC

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Just a FYI... With the MSB SELECT, you don't need a "server". Just use the network input, and feed it music over the network, from any ol' PC/NAS in your network. No USB cable, no extra power cords, etc.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I got slouched on another thread because I related a comparison I did... so threading cautiously here and just say, it was tried and chosen against the W20 model amongst other. Mind you, I personally did not do that specific test but I know of others that did it.

IMHO what we are expecting are opinions of direct listening comparison, if possible with some details involving the type of recording and system. There are no absolutes in this hobby, vague indirect references are useless to increase our knowledge. The objective of posts from trade people should be information, not just promotion. I think if you carefully balance the two everyone will be happy - we all have a lot to learn from sellers large experience and wide range of customers.

Reactions: RussR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO what we are expecting are opinions of direct listening comparison, if possible with some details involving the type of recording and system. There are no absolutes in this hobby, vague indirect references are useless to increase our knowledge. The objective of posts from trade people should be information, not just promotion. I think if you carefully balance the two everyone will be happy - we all have a lot to learn from sellers large experience and wide range of customers.

+1 - flyer, just start with the disclaimer you are a dealer for that product and then give details of that comparison.

Murat

May 16, 2015
Hello,

Coming from the Totaldac D1 Server, I have tested the 432EVO streamer and I am extremely pleased with it so I bought it. The designer is fanatical about electromagnetic radiation, tweaking and writing audio (treatment) software, creating and engineering streaming solutions.

You will find more info here: http://432evo.be/index.php/editions/432-evo-aeon

The biggest model, with all bells and whistles costs 5500 EUR retail. Including a CD rip facility, Roon ready, 2 TB of on-board storage (and of course plenty of off-board solutions), several dedicated linear power supplies, etc. A big hit in the Benelux region and looking to expand his market.

Software is Linux-based and does upsampling and DSD to PCM till 24/768 but the user can define an upsample rate anywhere between 16/44.1 and 24/768 depending on DAC capability and personal favourite.

It is not yet in my signature, but I now carry the brand as well in my portfolio.

Is it works with Trinity ? Have you tried ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you! And if you are in Moscow, we have many interesting setups with horns :)

What are some of the good horn set ups you have heard there?

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Is it works with Trinity ? Have you tried ?

No, not tried on the Trinity yet, is the simple answer. Just not too many (if any) of the Trinity DAC owners around in the area...

Murat

May 16, 2015
No, not tried on the Trinity yet, is the simple answer. Just not too many (if any) of the Trinity DAC owners around in the area...

My problem is to find the one compatible with Trinity. Unfortunately most of Linux based players are not compatible.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
My problem is to find the one compatible with Trinity. Unfortunately most of Linux based players are not compatible.

There must be a bug in the Trinity USB input board software, as it sends Linux players into mute mode. It is very easy to undo the mute, IF you can access the Linux GUI. You can't easily access the Linux GUI in many streamers (you have no monitor, no keyboard), but since the server mentioned here is just a regular computer, you should have absolutely no problems with making it work. BTW - the Trinity Drive server is also linux based and obviously works without any problems.

Just ask Dietmar and he will send you the manual.

SGM server (which is Windows based, so no problems here) is another option.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
There must be a bug in the Trinity USB input board software, as it sends Linux players into mute mode. It is very easy to undo the mute, IF you can access the Linux GUI. You can't easily access the Linux GUI in many streamers (you have no monitor, no keyboard), but since the server mentioned here is just a regular computer, you should have absolutely no problems with making it work. BTW - the Trinity Drive server is also linux based and obviously works without any problems.

The Trinity server is a Windows 10 system with 10TB HDD and an additional SSD for the operation system and software.

Murat

May 16, 2015

Dietmar answered that the problem is on Linux driver side:

"The USB interface is related to the USB standard, so it is conform with the standard.
That means you do not need any driver for a MAC OS, since the drivers are part of the OS.
For Windows you need the customized ASIO driver, since Windows has no audio driver in the OS.
Both OS are working fine with my USB interface.

A lot of streamers are based on Linux, since it is freeware and you can "close" the software, so that the user has no access to the OS.
Linux is similar with the Mac OS and should have the driver in the kernel, but since it is freeware it happens that the LINUX installation is not correct.
If this happens LINUX has problems to work with the XMOS chip set used in my USB interface.
We had the same problem with Aurender and only the former Aurender dealer in Germany pushed Aurender to solve the problem.
It can happen that LINUX runs fine with the XMOS chipset, but after an update of LINUX it stops working. That has happen with some Aurender models.
A friend of mine is Linux freak and he uses my USB interface as well and he told me what you have to do under LINUX to run the USB interface.
So it is not in my hands to solve it, only manufacturer of the streamer can fix it, if he install LINUX correct."

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium

OK, I investigated the issue on Linux/XMOS compatibility and the manufacturer of the EVO confirmed that it was well known by him, as some other issues. He has corrected those issues (including the volume control errors (causing unwanted mute/unmute)) in Linux, so one can safely state that the EVO will work very well with the Trinity DAC and fully offer the advantages Linux has to offer.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have just compared 3 different players with Trinity and can't see any obvious difference in sound.

Aurender through USB, Auralic SPDIF (Not compatible through USB) and MacBook USB:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47873198/ZOOM0182_LR.WAV

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47873198/ZOOM0184_LR.WAV

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47873198/ZOOM0185_LR.WAV

Looks like Trinity works perfectly with any source, when compatible.

What Aurender model did you try ?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The Trinity server is a Windows 10 system with 10TB HDD and an additional SSD for the operation system and software.

Thanks for correcting me. I never had the Drive, only the DAC.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Please do. The W20 sounds much better. The old S10 isn't any better than a regular computer when using it via its USB out.

In my experience, the USB signal quality makes a big difference with this DAC.

Chrk

May 22, 2015
London
This is bad news. I actually compared the my trinity with the Select DAC MSB of a friend within his system and it is quite interesting to see the different approaches. Now my question is about the upgrade of the trinity dac with the USB to optical box/connexion. Do you know it this is still available and at what price ? Thank you

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
This is bad news. I actually compared the my trinity with the Select DAC MSB of a friend within his system and it is quite interesting to see the different approaches. Now my question is about the upgrade of the trinity dac with the USB to optical box/connexion. Do you know it this is still available and at what price ? Thank you

How did the two compare ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing