Trinity DAC

esldude

Maybe only one. ;-)

But no. Like in my own case, there's too much secrecy and as Dietmar said "it is about the whole package". But that right away also creates the secrecy and this could be one :

So, this is about one of the elements (of that whole package) and it is easy to talk about such a thing and it looks impressive. However, I'd say that this was measured without any signal fed to the D/A IC's, that is, if you referred to IC's (chips) as such and not to "interlink connectors". Still, the "whole package" regarding this "nV" subject would be about the output. And whether the chips or interlinks, you (Dietmar) will be having a hard time showing this. Better say that mentioned 1.5nV was a typo and that it should have been 1.5uV (RMS !) At least that would be the best you can squeeze out in my little (practice) book but of course I don't know all.
It will be fair enough if you say that you don't have time for these stupidities but that will leave you with that typo (which of course it is not, so what is it for real ?).

All meaning : When too much secrecy is implied it will be read as erroneous, "not all thought over" or anything that makes that manufacturer psychological defend himself. I do the same.

More interesting in general could be that really no one is going to attempt the same because it already needs D/A chips which are virtually unavailable, so with some sense you're not gong to start new projects around that chip.

Someone like me could look with special interest (with the notice that most probably I am the only one) because of the most similar setup regarding the signal processing realm, but which of course I judge as "half cooked" only because I approach it differently. Dietmar will say the same about mine. Next, we really have to look at the target market and for Trinity this -through my eyes- is HiRes. For Phasure this is explicit Redbook and funnily enough either treats their target best.
Without working it out extensively, this too is about "secrecy" as such, and maybe I personally would not like that as a layman reader. I mean, only when *all* the pages have been carefully read (website) you get the clue that LIANOTEC may do wonders (as presented) but the only REAL key of that is perceived amplifier destruction (or speaker- if the amp has enough bandwidth). So, as a manufacturer on this side of the game I read it like that (which of course is correct judgement in my book). Sadly this is the ever and all discussion about NOS designs but a first burned tweeter and such because of exactly that I yet have to see (but maybe I don't read enough forums). At least I myself always bring it up as a possible downside which hasn't been proven anywhere that I can see (with next a pile of logic how cables and all filter so that no HF sh*t arrives anywhere to begin with, but alas).
What I also read (at reading in between all lines needed) is that playing Redbook is not special anywhere (but again amps won't burn) because just a normal filter is applied to that and of the most common type. And no, I don't say that the Trinity will sound bad because of that, but compared to the explicit Redbook guy and (mind you !) outside of power supply etc. "sure whole package" design - it can't. Unless we suddenly like ringing. Also notice that the filter makes the sound (just because I tell you) and while the major (selling) point of Trinity is that no digital filter is applied which is presented as "thus the best" (true in itself !) harder digging learns that such a filter just *is* applied if only Redbook is in order.

So you see ? this is how the only manufacturer who could be interested reads this and it is harmless (because not agreed).
What could bug me (as a common reader but with some knowlegde) is the way all is presented by its technical elements which you don't see or can't judge the merits of. A general outlay about 384Khz sampled signals is easy to miss (but looks sooo good) and plots about 24bit signals of 44.1 that clearly suggesting Redbook is another thing. That showing 16 bit signals will let rise THD (and noise) by something like 9dB is what I can see because I know, and the reason why it is shown like that is ... not fair ? There are a few more things, but these are the most important I think.
One notice : This manufacturer here (me) performs his act very explicitly the other way around and only comes up with pratice data (meaning : what the customer will encounter when playing his music). This for example means that I won't even present 24 bit plots anywhere and that all specs are for 16/44.1 material. So, Hires specs are not even mentioned, but they would look sooo much better. What I want to say is : Most probably I am not the normal guy here because much commercial it is not.

Although I presented some visions which are personal but which could be seen as a sort of bashing, I really hope I have been as neutral as can be. Just facts, though through my eyes. And so again (other thread) : Dietmar, correct me where I'm off please.
Kind regards,
Peter

Peter,

I may have this wrong, but it was my understanding from his description, that 96khz and below gets 8x upsampled. Then it gets interpolated by his 8 time delayed DACs, but still there is no output filter applied. Are you considering the upsampling to be a filter? The way I read his explanation it was not. Not an analog and not a digital filter. Just straight upsampling and hardware interpolation. His secret if you will is how he managed timing of the 8 output DACs at those high rates.

Sample rates higher than 96 khz get only the hardware interpolation without any digital upsampling if I understand Dietmar correctly. The lowest output bitstream would be 176 khz interpolated to 1.4 megahertz. All other combinations would result in a higher output bitstream rate, and none of them have an actual filter involved.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Peter,

I may have this wrong, but it was my understanding from his description, that 96khz and below gets 8x upsampled. Then it gets interpolated by his 8 time delayed DACs, but still there is no output filter applied.

Technicly it gets oversampled in the 8x oversampling digital filter for anything less than 96kHz. For 176k and 192k it works without the oversampling digital filter at all (like a NOS DAC). In every case, there is no analog reconstructiuon filter at the output of the DAC.

Alternatively, you can upsample your 44-96k files in software to 176k and 192k to run the Trinity without the 8x oversampling digital filter. The Phasure NOS DAC does basicly the same (upsampling in software), the difference beeing it has to upsample more (making it more sensitive to jitter, among other things), since it cannot take advantage of the virtual 8x oversampling created by time staggered DACs, and have to upsample 176 and 192 as well, where Trinity, can pass 176k and 192k in native format, with no upsampling and no oversampling whatsoever (hardware or software based).

Last edited:

esldude

Technicly it gets oversampled in the 8x oversampling digital filter for anything less than 96kHz. For 176k and 192k it works without the oversampling digital filter at all (like a NOS DAC). In every case, there is no analog reconstructiuon filter at the output of the DAC.

Alternatively, you can upsample your 44-96k files in software to 176k and 192k to run the Trinity without the 8x oversampling digital filter. The Phasure NOS DAC does basicly the same (upsampling in software), the difference beeing it has to upsample more (making it more sensitive to jitter, among other things), since it cannot take advantage of the virtual 8x oversampling created by time staggered DACs, and have to upsample 176 and 192 as well, where Trinity, can pass 176k and 192k in native format, with no upsampling and no oversampling whatsoever (digital or software based).

Right you are, I just looked again and he did say oversampling, not upsampling.

TRINITY

Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Hi all,

I got this morning an email, which informed me that a former member called Northstar was banned and has started a new thread on the diy Forum to reengineer my electronic.
At this point I have to say again this technique is protected by patents and I have right now informed my "Strategy Consulting Company" about this thread. They are in Charge with any licensing and Legal enforcement.
The first legal step will be an "Intense research for hard evidence of Violation", followed by "Sending of inquiry letters" and so on. We take such patent infringement very serious.
You know from the press (Samsung vs. Apple) that you can maybe earn more Money on the court than with selling the products.

Kind Regards Dietmar

TRINITY

Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Sorry that I have not mentioned the sample rates in the Manual. Here the Picture I will insert in the Manual later.
Sample rate.jpg

I hope that clears some open issues here.
If you miss something in the Manual just send me an email info@trinity-ed.de and I will look if I can fix it.

KR Dietmar

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
At this point I have to say again this technique is protected by patents

Than you shouldn't have anything to worry about. As you say yourself, you can earn more money in the courts than selling the products.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Dietmar,

I wouldn't worry about some DIYers trying to reverse engineer your product. For a couple of reasons.

- First of all, I think they will never be able to get hold of the DAC ... ever. Reverse engineering an electronic device from blurred images is impossible.
- There are many aspects of the design - apart from the LIANOTEC architecture - which contribute to the final sound of your DAC. Taking as an exmaple the so called 'femto' cristal osciallators (which seem to be all the rage right now) - getting one is easy. Making one work so that the implementation doesn't kill its performance - it is a totally different story ! You need to take care of the proper power supply for the XO, decoupling, the way you are gonna send the XO signal to the DAC. It is all VERY tricky and without tons of experience with HF digital electronics - it is almost impossible to do.
- Last but not least - I'm not sure having a patent can prevent people from DIYing something in their garages for their own use. Coming with such a solution to the market - again, another story. I would worry more about some manufacturers copying the solution (like Accuphase did), than anything else.

If anything - I would thank Northstar for a free publicity. After all - only great products became those that people want to copy !

jsn

VIP/Donor
Jan 8, 2014
Than you shouldn't have anything to worry about. As you say yourself, you can earn more money in the courts than selling the products.

Everything related to the court is time consuming and the expensive.
It is not fair to Dietmar to waste time and resources on these issues.
I don't like to see these matters delaying his product development (Power amp) and improvement.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011

He isn't. He stated that he has outsourced that to a "Strategy Consulting Company".

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Everything related to the court is time consuming and the expensive.
I don't like to see these matters delaying his product development (Power amp) and improvement.

I totally agree that a gifted engineer like Dietmar should be able to concentrate all his attention to building top quality hifi components. That said it is good that some folks understand that legal action will follow if patented ideas are being illegaly used. Dietmar has seen pretty bad behaviour in the past and his signal is clear: this will not be tolerated (again).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The laws that rule the practice of reverse engineering differ in EU and US. In EU you are allowed to reverse-engineer a product you own, but are not allowed to use this information for developing similar products or releasing the details in public. This subject has been debated in forums about acoustic treatments - some people reverse commercial products to copy them, others debate their principles and how they work but no forum will publish all the exact details that would allow copying them.

Anyway, this story of reversing the Trinity seems crazy, as Adam suggested, unless you really believe that the Krell and Jadis copied kits sold at eBay coming from China sound exactly like the originals ... :)

IMHO, all this noise is a waste of time and space. :( I would prefer to be reading detailed descriptions of how some know recordings sound in the Trinity DAC, while I wait to listen for myself.

TRINITY

Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Hi all,

your are all absolutely right.
It is naive to believe you can reengineer such a product from a Picture and even if you would buy one it is damned hard and Needs some serious Investment in Hardware, Software and of course man power. You have to write the Firmware for the USB Interface, start the deveopment of your full customized XOs and so on.
But acting upon the advice of my Consultants I have to metion it, since if they continue now they are doing it on purpose and cannot say I didnot know it.
It only Shows that Nortstar is right, if he mentioned that he has really no knowledge about electronic. I am 100% sure that my BOM alone exceed the Budget of a "common" diy product development by far.
As a engineer I would say "WOMBAT" Waste Of Money, Brain And Time".
No worry I waste no further time on it and will work the next days on the power amp.

KR Dietmar

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi all,

I got this morning an email, which informed me that a former member called Northstar was banned and has started a new thread on the diy Forum to reengineer my electronic.
At this point I have to say again this technique is protected by patents and I have right now informed my "Strategy Consulting Company" about this thread. They are in Charge with any licensing and Legal enforcement.
The first legal step will be an "Intense research for hard evidence of Violation", followed by "Sending of inquiry letters" and so on. We take such patent infringement very serious.
You know from the press (Samsung vs. Apple) that you can maybe earn more Money on the court than with selling the products.

Kind Regards Dietmar

Yes welcome to the internet home of the what can I get or steal for free. The people in the thread speak for themselves. Otherwise known as having no respect for intellectual property.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/249411-trinity-dac-discussion.html

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
He isn't. He stated that he has outsourced that to a "Strategy Consulting Company".

You think those resources are free? Money is a resource. You don't think he has to speak with them on the phone? Time is money too.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Yes welcome to the internet home of the what can I get or steal for free. The people in the thread speak for themselves. Otherwise known as having no respect for intellectual property.

Indeed. Knowledge is stealing. Information is a crime. Learning is terrorism.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just to try to stop madness - DIY audio is a great forum, filled with enthusiasts about do it yourself audio, that openly share their knowledge and experiences. They build their equipment, help people when they have problems servicing or keeping equipment working properly. I am a member and have used their advice and helped others. We all know Bob and I do not know why Bob (Northstar) started such thread in the DIYaudio forum (as far as I know he does not use a soldering iron to build his equipemnt ;)) , but I am almost sure he did not want to start anything illegal or dishonest. IMHO we can move away and let the DIYaudio thread on Trinity die fast and painless.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Indeed. Knowledge is stealing. Information is a crime. Learning is terrorism.

That gets an A+ in logic-Not!

Yes, what's in someone's brain is intellectual property as defined by the law.

Reverse engineering, replicating a product and then making money from that theft has nothing to do with learning. Perhaps you'd feel differently if the shoe was on the other foot and someone in China was duping your product. Perhaps you would feel differently if you had spent ten years working on something and despite a patent, someone steals your idea and makes money from your hard work. AFAIK, even if it's for single use it's stealing.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
That gets an A+ in logic-Not!

Reverse engineering, replicating a product and then making money from that theft has nothing to do with learning. Perhaps you'd feel differently if the shoe was on the other foot and someone in China was duping your product. Perhaps you would feel differently if you had spent ten years working on something and despite a patent, someone steals your idea and makes money from your hard work. AFAIK, even if it's for single use it's stealing.

+1.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011

What law? In what legislation?

Reverse engineering, replicating a product and then making money from that theft has nothing to do with learning.

That gets an A+ in logic-Not! Mainly for being patently wrong. Reverse engineering definitely helps understanding and learning. Making money is a completely different issue.

Are you saying that if someone invents something (let's say penicillin, as a random example), nobody should be allowed to try to understand how it works (even if the patent system protects your commercial rights)?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Since there seems to be some misunderstanding how the Trinity DAC works, I decided to post some block diagrams I've been creating for the past 2 days (not that it took me that long ;) ).

Here is the first block diagram, which shows how a regular DAC works:

Left to right, we have here:

- an input receiver that gets the SPDIF signal (on RCA, BNC, AES or TosLink) from youtr transport and extracts clock and data signals from it;
- Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter (ASRC) - this is where the upsampling is performed; not all manufacturers use upsampling - some genuinely hate it, which is why I have added that it is an 'option';
- oversampling digital filter;
- then there is the digital to analog converter (DAC) chip itself;
- the current output from the DAC has to be converted to voltage, which is whay we have I/V converter stage just after the DAC;
- after the I/V there is the analog reconstruction filter, which purpose is to filter out all the post converstion 'garbage';
- the last block is the analog output stage that feeds the RCA / XLR outs of the DAC.

The lower row of blocks (red arrows) shows the way the clock signal has to travel. As you can see, is first gets extracted from the SPDIF signal in the input receiver, then goes into the Phase Locked Loop (PLL) which purpose is to synchronise the incoming transport clock with the DAC clock (more on that later).

Now the Trinity is a filterless design, which means that it lacks both the analog and digital filters (at least for sampling rates 176kHz and up). It is not the first filterless DAC - Audio Note, among others, has been making NOS DACs for years. Here is a block diagram for such a DAC:

The greyed out blocks are those that are missing in Audio Note NOS DAC design. As you can see, there is no upsampling, no oversampling digital filter and no analog filter.

The aim of filters in the DAC is to remove the post converstion garbage and properly reconstruct the analog wave form. The problem with those filters, is they are not transparent. They always introduce some sonic signature - and never for the better. Many people believe, that removig the digital oversampling filter filter and leaving the post conversion garbage does less harm, than introducing the filter. This belief underlies the whole theory behind the NOS DACs - those interested in this topic, can read the original paper on Non-oversampling Digital filter-less DAC Concept written by Ryohei Kusunoki: http://www.sakurasystems.com/articles/Kusunoki.html

The whole NOS DAC theory was a compromise from the very beginning (both in terms of sonics and measurements - there have been lots of texts written about this, so I will not go into details). Some of the manufacturers accepted this theory, other - rejected it. Dietmar's idea was to keep what makes the NOS DACs great, but find a way to get rid of its problems. In other words - how to have cake, and eat it too. That is how the time staggered DACs solution (LIANOTEC in Trinity speak) was born.

The LIANOTEC gives an equivalent of 8x oversampling rate, without using 8x oversampling digital filter. The DACs are not run in parallel, as in most designs (with inputs and outputs interconnected), but run via a special digital delay line, where each DAC is fed with a slightly delayed signal. This creates additional interpolation points which are situated linearly between the original sampling points.

According to the manual, the whole LIANOTEC DAC behaves like a quadratic series. Therefore, it means that two D/A converters are needed for 2 ? way analog oversampling, 4 for 4 ? way oversampling, 8 for 8 ? way oversampling, etc. The Trinity DAC uses 8 DACs per channel (16 DACs in total), meaning used arrangement gives an effective oversampling rate of 8x.

Below is the Trinity DAC block diagram:

Like the Audio Note NOS DAC I have posted earlier, the Trinity DAC lacks an ASRC, an oversampling digital filter and an analog filter. But unlike the AN DAC, it has no NOS DAC problems, which you can clearly see looking into the perfect measurements of this DAC (it basicly measures like a very good DAC with both digital and analog filter in place, even though it lacks both).

You can also notice, that there are two other parts of the DAC that are missing in the Trinity. First is the analog stage. 16 DACs gives the Trinity enough current, so that the signal coming from the current to voltage converter doesn't have to be amplified any further, but can drive the XLR outputs directly. No analog output stage needed. No analog output stage = less distortions = more sonic transparency.

(Audio Note was not not able to do such a thing in their DAC, as they only use one AD1865 DAC, which doesn't generate enough current. Therefore, they had to use an output stage to amplify the signal. And any gain stage, even some ultra exotic 'Audio Note Level 10, stuffed with silver capacitiors made by british maidens at full moon', will introduce some distortions.)

The whole DAC thing, devoid of analog filter and output stage, looks very, very compact now:

Of course, compact doesn't mean it is cheap to make, as the PCM1704K chips, further hand selected by Trinity inhouse, are anything but cheap to get (I had written more about this in this post: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12023-Trinity-DAC&p=238265&viewfull=1#post238265).

Another thing which makes the Trinity DAC different than a regular DAC with SPDIF input is the USB input and clocking. As you can see on the graph, the red arrows showing the clock signal direction are now reversed:

This is because the DAC does not have to rely on the jittery clock signal extracted from the SPDIF data stream, but sends its own clock signal to the input receiver. What is more, such an arrangement allows another jitter inducing element - the PLL - to be eliminated, in favour of a highly stable, free running clock, that is supplies the DAC chips directly.

The end result will depend on the quality of the clock used, and this is where the Trinity excells. Trinity most probably uses the clocks with the lowest amount of phase noise (jitter) of any DACs available on the market today. They use two fully customized, hermetic sealed Voltage Controlled Oven Controlled Xrystal Oscillators (VCOCXO) with quoted jitter levels at just 28 fs (that is femtoseconds, or 0,028 picoseconds !) in 10Hz-10kHz range. That is absolute state of the art teritory.

They also claim that the accuracy of those clocks is 1000x (!) higher than the clocks used by dCS (1ppb or 0.02Hz), although it is debatable if accuracy of the clock has any relation to sound quality in audio (what is important is clock stability, i.e. phase noise).

I'm not sure who makes those clocks for Trinity, as they do not have any text on them other than the Trinity logo. I've asked this question to Dietmar via email, but he refused to give out that piece of info. He only told me that they are custom made for him in 22.579200.0MHz and 24.576000.0MHz and therefore the lead time is 12 weeks to get them made.

I've found very similar clocks in one of the the available online catalogs, that look and measure (in terms of physical dimensions) exactly like those used by Trinity, and they cost almost $2000 each in OEM prices. That is the price for a regular 10MHz oscillators, available for next day delivery. Not sure how much more the clcok manufacturer charges for the custom 22 & 24 MHz models in limited quantities ... I can only guess, that may be anything from $3 to $5k per piece. Since there are two of those in every Trinity DAC, we are talking of $6k-$10k in BOM for those two parts alone. Now if we consider, that the standard BOM to component retail price ratio in a hi-end (and we are talking here more about a $10k ARC preamp than $200k Audio Note UK exotica) is about 20%, those two parts alone should constitute to $30k-$50k from the $60k DAC retail !

This, with the very costly hand selection proces they run on the DAC chipsets (expensive both because of the number of extra chipsets they have to buy and time needed to measure each chipset) has explained to me, why this DAC costs as much as it does.

And it was me in this thread who have said: However you look at it - $52,000 price tag is exorbitant. Thankfully, I have added in the next sentence: If there are other things that make it really special - I would like to know. Maybe the price is not as unreasonable as it seems and the DAC is worth every penny. In which case, there could be at least a dosen of people on this forum interested in this DAC.

I didn't know at the time, that one of those people who would fell in love with this DAC would be me.

Anyway, back to the main topic. Trinity may be USB optimised, but it also has SPDIF inputs. But if you decide to use one of the Trinity's four SPDIF inputs, it will work just like your regular SPDIF DAC in terms of clocking, with SPDIF input receiver, PLL etc - and the whole advantage will be lost. This is why the Trinity sounds best via the USB input. (This is actually no different to how all DACs with asynchronous USB input work. However the Trinity solution is superior to most, as it uses a galvanic isolation on I2S lines, which prevents the computer noise from entering the DAC - another of many clever solutions employed by Dietmar).

Last but not least. As I mentioned earlier, the Trinity DAC does not use Oversampling Digital Filter only for sampling rates 176kHz and up. It still employs the 8x Oversampling Digital Filter for freq 96k and lower:

Now, before anyone starts feeling disappointed about this, please understad this: problems with Oversampling Digital Filters are two fold. The first problem, is a sonic signature of the filter itself. Every filter has one. None is 100% transparent to the signal. The other problem, people often forget about, are jitter level requirements Oversampling Digital Filter puts on a DAC design. Basicly, if you oversample the signal 8x, the jitter level should drop also by a factor of 8x for the performance not to be compromised. Clearly, this is never the case. If your DAC has say 400ps of jitter, adding the Oversampling Digital Filter will not make it 50ps.

Trinity, has dropped jitter levels to such a vanishingly low levels, that the jitter is no longer a factor limiting the performance of the Oversampling Digital Filter. So even with the filter engaged - and I listen 99% to redbook - the Trinnity DACs sounds utterly transparent to the source.

In any case, you can always use your favourite upsampling software - be it JRivers, Izotope, Sygnalist of Peter's own XXHiEnd - and feed the DAC with the upsampled signal to get rid of the Oversampling Digital Filter for all sampling rates. Pick up your poison :)

In short: the Trinity is an ultra simplistic, filterless DAC, made using 16 best, hand selected R2R DACs available and some hyper clocking, which thanks to the innovative time-staggered DACs arrangement, overcomes all problems of the regular NOS DAC designs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing