I am blessed to finally have a tube tape head preamp I can afford

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:) :)Hello forum members,

I found Mr. Benny Amina who is an engineer/electronics tech by accident. This was one of the best things that happened for me once I arrived here to Georgia. I needed to have my Tascam 42B changed over to IEC and wanted cables connected directly to the playback head. Mr. Amina also installed an IEC receptacle as well as additional outputs on the rear of my deck. He also installed a switch incase I experience hum. I was aware I needed a higher output playback head on the Tascam. The original heads are very low in output. I contacted Mr. John French who spent some time educating me on various playback heads. He suggested that Nortronics has a (400mHy) pro premium lamination head that would work with the Tascam, However, he would have to build a shoe for the head so that it would fit the Tascam headblock. Mr. French quickly constructed the shoe and fitted it to the Nortronics head. He then mailed this out to my tech for installation into my tape deck. Mr. French is excellent at what he does and is one of the nicest person's anyone can find. By the way, the Nortronics head works perfectly and sounds great.

I mentioned to Mr. Amina that I was still looking for a tube head amp in the $1000 to 1500 dollar range. He said he had been thinking about building a tube head amp and If I could give him some time, he and staff would start work as soon as possible. He figured the overall cost would be close to the $1600 dollar price point. He noted it would take a while because of his repair and audio systems installation work which had to come first. He and staff also builds tube power amps, pre amps, and speaker systems which is sold on the Modular Electronics Inc. website. I was OK with that and noted I will have the money when the head amp is completed.

Mr. Amina was kind enough to remain in regular contact with me and after some months he informed me the all tube HD4 tape head preamp was ready. My joy was overwhelming because the price was only $1200 dollars fully assembled. A friend, Pablo went with me and my dear wife drove me there. I don't know how to get around Georgia that well yet. Once at the shop my Tascam was already set up and one of Jonathan Horwich's tapes, "Clare Fischer's Big Band" swinging hard. The sound was awesome. Every instrument could be heard clearly. Mr. Amina has several listening rooms available to display the audio they build as well as permitting anyone with a repaired item to hear it working correctly. My wife, friend and I was pleased with what we heard. I just wanted to get my tape deck and new preamp home to my music room.

While I'm at it, I've got to mention the music used for our listening session. I am sure many of you are familiar with Miles Davis and Gil Evans (Sketches Of Spain). The oboes and flutes came through very well and with great fidelity. This tape consisted of mostly practice takes, but one complete take near the end of the tape. We also listened to Sonny Rollins (The Bridge). Even back during the 1960's Sonny had a big bold tenor sound which I and many other sax players tried to emulate. We also included a tape from Jonathan Horwich featuring Eric Schneider on tenor sax and Jeremy Kahn on piano. They played all stadards. My favorites were "Round Midnight and Lover Man". I never thought I could enjoy a piano and sax duo this much. The piano and sax had a real powerful sound (WOW)!

I am more than pleased with the purchase of the Amina HD4 tube tape head preamp. I am even more elated that this is a great sounding preamp and one I could afford. At the asking price I could not have asked for anything better. For me this is a win-win situation. To all my friends here on the forum, thank you so much for your patience and kindness. Please forgive me for being so long winded. That's due to a lack of forum writing experience. I am going to try to post some photos of my music system and HD4 preamp and hope they come through. If not, I'll have to seek some instructions regarding how to get photos from a CD uploaded to the forum. ;)

Photo Link go here ............ https://www.dropbox.com/sc/e89sy7as4gb82lt/J8Q4GfekBM

Jazzbo Bob

Last edited:

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Dear Bob, sounds like you're enjoying the music & having fun! That's the main thing & at a lower than expected price, that makes it even more fun! Congratulations!

Ed Pong

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Dear Mr. Pong, thank you so much. Next month I plan to purchase that tape that has the 2 Chaconnes. I can hardly wait to hear how that will sound on my system.

Bob

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Dear Bob, I think you will enjoy Xiang Yu's musicality, he has great stage presence & always draws you into his music...have a look at this Youtube clip of the Beethoven Violin Sonata No.3 Magical playing...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf5evFjX40U

Ed

Mr. Pong I listened and loved what I heard. This gentleman has excellent technique. I can't wait to get that tape. Thank you for referring me to this link. I listened to several YouTubes of this gentleman and am even more anxious to get the tape. Thanks again sir.

Bob

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I will send you a DVD of his recital in Boston's Jordan Hall when I send you the tape. I was there & it was an amazing concert. You will "see" & hear another performance of the Bach Chaccone. Will be interesting, for you, to compare the 2. He says, no 2 are the same, depends on his mood at the time...Glad you're enjoying it!

Ed

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
jazzbo it is really great to hear that your tape pre turned out well. It's always nice to be working with a designer for a bespoke product and it meets or exceeds your expectations. I'd love to hear Jonathan's tapes, he reissues some terrific performances. And Sonny Rollins The Bridge on tape, consider me jealous :)

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
I will send you a DVD of his recital in Boston's Jordan Hall when I send you the tape. I was there & it was an amazing concert. You will "see" & hear another performance of the Bach Chaccone. Will be interesting, for you, to compare the 2. He says, no 2 are the same, depends on his mood at the time...Glad you're enjoying it!

Ed

Mr. Pong I don't know how to thank you. I am looking forward to that prize. I already have several copies (LP records) of Bach's Chaccone. I love this piece sir.

Bob

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Mr. Hvbias, thank you for responding and enjoying this moment with me. Yes, Jonathan has produced some winning tapes. I can't help but feel grateful for all that I have. I am building my tape collection slowly, but what I have is a real joy. Now I am anxious to get some of the Ed Pong & Tony Ma's reel to reel. Right now I have plenty of classical LP records and CD's but no tapes. I've got to remedy that as quickly as I can. I am sure you know how wonderful it is to put on a tape and lay back to listen. It's amazing to not have to hear clicks and pops (LP's) and the harshness of many of the CD's sold. To my ears reel to reel is king. Just my humble opinion sir. By the way, I have tried several times to upload some photos but without success. It may be easy for some but not for me though I will try again later.

jazzbo Bob

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Mr. Hvbias, thank you for responding and enjoying this moment with me. Yes, Jonathan has produced some winning tapes. I can't help but feel grateful for all that I have. I am building my tape collection slowly, but what I have is a real joy. Now I am anxious to get some of the Ed Pong & Tony Ma's reel to reel. Right now I have plenty of classical LP records and CD's but no tapes. I've got to remedy that as quickly as I can. I am sure you know how wonderful it is to put on a tape and lay back to listen. It's amazing to not have to hear clicks and pops (LP's) and the harshness of many of the CD's sold. To my ears reel to reel is king. Just my humble opinion sir. By the way, I have tried several times to upload some photos but without success. It may be easy for some but not for me though I will try again later.

jazzbo Bob

Jonathan will be reissuing a 3 CD set of Joe Daley At Newport '63. This is a killer live set, with tremendous performances from Joe (and the entire trio). I know it's lowly CD, but I'd urge you to pick it up when it's out. Maybe we can convince Jonathan to put this one on tape.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Picture?

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Thanks Bruce and Asamel. I want to post photos but had major problems when I attempted to do so. Can someone give me some hints how this process works. I have a CD with the photos on it. Thanks guys. :)

jazzbo bob :b

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great Story! Enjoy!!!

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Great Story! Enjoy!!!

Good Thursday Morning LL21,

I just wanted to find a way to share what I consider a real blessing with everyone here. Everyone here as well as the Tape Project Forum has been a blessing and help to me in some way. I am more than pleased sir. I will post photos as soon as I figure out how to do it. So far I've not had any success.

jazzbo Bob

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Congrats Jazzbo Bob....yes tape is the best and it can become a great passion...forget the rest you have the best.:D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
happy ending to a nice story

congrats to you Bob. I know what you meant when you said the sound was wonderful as I too had that jaw dropping experience the first time I listened to mine through my Doshi tape head preamp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing