Recommendations for cartridge up to & around £1000 GBP

Hi all.

I'm in the market place for a new mid priced (OK within reason) MC cartridge..

I've drawn up a small list of those in my budget but knowing the difficulties of auditioning cartridges (impossibly so) especially in ones own environment so I thought it may pay to hear some thoughts of you experienced guys. My rig comprises....

Heavily modded LP12 fitted with Audio Orgami PU7 tonearm.

Amplification is Avondale Audio Graduation 1 pre amp with what are basically Avondale S100 mono block power amps all transistor. My phono pre is based on Naim 323 MC (but again Avondale modded) all in a stand alone case locally regulated and fed by an Avondale TPX power supply along with the Grad 1 Pre amp

I'm currently using a DL103 "nuded" and fitted into a Golden age Audio black ebony wood body. This has certainly improved he 103 significantly but now I feel time has come to move up the ladder somewhat.

I have quite an eclectic taste in music including Blues, Jazz, Big Band, Classical, Country, Cajun, Rock and Punk.

So to my list.

Dynavector XX2mk2

Lyra Delos or Skala.

Benz Micro wood SL

Question: what would potentially the best all rounder in your estimation?

My leaning is toward the XX2 as possibly best suiting my tastes.

Regards

John R

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi John,

I would consider going first with the Skala( if funds permit, if not then consider the Kleos over the Delos). Given the ongoing issues with Benz, probably should shy away from them. The Dyna XX-2 Mk2 is good....but I would try for the Te Kaitora Rua ( IF funds allow and IF you can use that low an output).

Hi Davey.

Thanks for your thoughts; very interesting and much food for thought.

Good info re Benz, what's going on there? Are they having production / supply difficulties or something else?

I'd mistakenly suggested the Skala, I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that - it is far to expensive. I may possibly be able to stretch the the Kleos if/when I sell more of my surplus equipment to fund it.

Regards.

John R.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I'm not sure what is going on at Benz. In the US, their supply has effectively dried up. Several dealer friends have told me that Albert Lukaschek has essentially closed down. Therefore, my recommendation to you.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I also wanted to ask you more about your Audio Oragami arm. I have not heard this arm and it looks really good. How does it compare to the vaunted Ekos SE?

John, I'm not sure what is going on at Benz. In the US, their supply has effectively dried up. Several dealer friends have told me that Albert Lukaschek has essentially closed down. Therefore, my recommendation to you.

That's bad news Davey as the SL wood was high on my list. Your recommendation is much appreciated.

John, I also wanted to ask you more about your Audio Oragami arm. I have not heard this arm and it looks really good. How does it compare to the vaunted Ekos SE?

Well at great risk of being provocative, I've not bothered to audition the SE as it's far too costly but I'd say the PU7 is the better arm, because it is bespoke with respect to effective length, mass, geometry, fitting, materials, finish, colour, wiring etc. etc.. It even has the facility for all important azimuth adjustment!

I think the Ekos SE is now around £4k GBP, whereas the PU7 starts at £1.75K GBP and rises to (depending on spec) to £3.3K.

On my much modified LP12 I find it captivating and want for no other arm. The PU7 is the work of one of the most respected tonearm artisans on the planet. He even repairs Linn arms ( and improves them) which I assume, they would prefer to consign to the scrap bin in order to sell a new Akito (£1,500) or the SE

Regards

John R

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, I agree with you, the Benz demise is bad news. I own a Ruby 2 and was planning on upgrading to a LP S MR, now I will be going in another direction.
I would love to hear your arm, I'm going to see if anyone locally has access to one...a little doubtful, But?? This is the biggest problem with tonearm's; getting to listen to them is NO easy task.
BTW, the fact that the Oragami can adjust azimuth is huge, IMO. That alone would make me lean towards the Oragami vs. the Ekos SE. ( Never mind the price difference).

Davey.

May I suggest you talk with John Nilsen (nickname j7) via his contact email audioorigami@gmail.com

I know john quite well, tell him I advised you to get in touch, he's a great guy who I'm sure will be able to suggest something.

I know he uses David Beetles at Hammertone audio in Canada to distribute his PU7 in the US and Canada.

Personal choice: I'd go for the polished anodised arm tube version if you'e gonna buy one.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey.

May I suggest you talk with John Nilsen (nickname j7) via his contact email audioorigami@gmail.com

I know john quite well, tell him I advised you to get in touch, he's a great guy who I'm sure will be able to suggest something.

I know he uses David Beetles at Hammertone audio in Canada to distribute his PU7 in the US and Canada.

Personal choice: I'd go for the polished anodised arm tube version if you'e gonna buy one.

Thanks, John. I remember that I have heard this arm..it was mounted on the Palmer that Gene Rubin was demo'ing at Newport. Sounded pretty good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing