Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

Banned
    Alright then . I will put it on the near term TODO list.

I agree with Vincent that jitter measurements for music servers are rarely ever seen online, in the forums or magazines (or anywhere else I've looked). How cool would it be to see measurements for a stock Mac and PC, a purpose-built server like the Linn (if anyone has one) and tweaked PCs with various configurations, player software, power cables, etc?

Here are some interesting results from the jitter tests of the CMP2 server and a description of how the tests were conducted. The designer measured 51ps and he seems to really know his stuff so that might be the gold-standard to shoot for. Steve Nugent suggests in his article that 15ps is a theoretical holy grail for the human ear with the most resolving systems, but I expect most of us don't have a system where we would hear a difference at levels that low.

http://www.cicsmemoryplayer.com/inde...n=CMP.03Jitter

I'm starting to understand why jitter measurements are so difficult. These measurements are in pico seconds, which is 1e+12 per second; if I'm correct, trillionths of a second. That's what I call precise measurement. In those terms, it's not hard to understand how a seemingly inconsequential electrical interference can become a factor.
    Last edited by fork; 11-19-2010 at 01:28 PM.

After a few weeks of work I finally have a small SSD installed in my server and the OS installations reconfigured. Also part of the project was to power my CPU fan externally with an adapter (no fans on the board now) and install a toggle switch to turn off the HD Audio and Networking sections of my board, when using the Audio OS.

My two Windows 7 installations are on the SSD now. I have a home theater installation for watching DVDs, and Blu-ray on Power DVD, ripping music, accessing the Internet, etc. and an audio installation just for playing Foobar; I deleted the old OS on my spinning drive, which was moved to an external enclosure (per Gary's recommendation), but still houses my audio files.

A few months ago on this thread I mentioned my curiosity about the program called RT7 Lite. At the time I thought the program offered a moderate amount of tweaking features. However, after using the program on both of my recent Win 7 installations, I have found that this is a full-blown configuration tool that's capable of stripping out or disabling just about any component or feature of Windows. A standard Win 7 64-bit Home Premium installation used about 15gb of space and my audio installation (which is the most pared down) uses about 35% that; gone are programs like Media Player and Internet Explorer, networking features and numerous unneeded drivers and services. I'm noticing a nice improvement in the sound with the audio installation.

There are a lot of headaches that go along with installing the program and getting it to work the way you want it to and I have a few features like setting the page file and image backup that I want and aren't functional in the audio section. However, given how powerful it is, it's a remarkable software. Next steps are to save an image of each OS and start experimenting with AutoRuns and underclocking with ClockGen in the audio section.
    Last edited by fork; 12-10-2010 at 02:17 AM.

I was reading on the CMP2 page about the sonic benefits of using a linear power supply in a server, rather than a standard PC power supply. There is a plan for a DIY power supply on the CMP2 site, but it doesn't give enough detail for a non-engineer to build it. I believe CMP2 uses a plain old dirty computer PS for the drives and the custom PS for the two motherboard connectors.

Does anyone out there have any ideas about plans we might use for a DIY project or maybe an existing unit that could be re-purposed for a PC?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Hi Gary

I am late to the "local" party but thought better-late-than-never...
    Was there a final Bill of Material published for the project?

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Hi Ki Choi,

Here it is: http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/n...r_RMAF2010.pdf

However, the CPU is already obsolete, but the replacement is this one:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...967&CatId=2851

There are better ways to mount the external drive than the "hanging wire" method that I proposed. Get a eSATA connector, and then an eSATA drive.

Hi Gary:

thanks for the links and info. I will be ordering my parts now.
    Will ask more question if you don't mind as I get deeper into the project.

One more question. The article mentions the motherboard having header for coax S/PDIF output connector. Will this set up output PCM 176.4 and 192Khz sample rates? I see your foobar screen on iPad with HiRez files.

Thanks,
    Ki
    Last edited by Ki Choi; 12-27-2010 at 04:47 PM.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Hi Ki,
    The PCM header on the motherboard is not limited, but it's noisy and drops out. So, I don't recommend it for anything more than 24/96. However, it will work at 24/192. Using this server build, I use a Weiss or an eMU 0404 USB for the high-rez files.
    Cheers
    Gary

Hi Ki,

One more datapoint - we built another server two days ago, and took 24/192 out from the built-in Toslink output using ASIO4ALL to the Weiss DAC optical S/PDIF input. It sounded wonderful.

So, the drop-outs from the built-in S/PDIF header that we experienced could have been from a bad implementation of the connector. We used a cheap computer one. May be it will work better if a proper BNC is used....

Thanks Gary for the update.
    Having the high Rez data file playing capability was a critical requirement for my goal from the music server.

Ki

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast