Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

Here is a program to tweak your registry, to control what is auto-starting when you boot Windows. Much more powerful than MSCONFIG. Make sure you have a system image backup, in case you do something that prevents you from being able to reboot the machine...though you should have an updated, saved system image no matter what you're doing. I've found that when installing Windows it's a good idea to create an OS partition of about 20-40G (also for your programs) as the C: drive and put all of your media into another partition; give you more flexibility to control the OS partition size and save a smaller system image for the OS partition. If you don't know how to create a system image, try the bottom link.

Also, I've done some experimenting with Ultimate Tweak and RT7Lite. RT7 is a good tool to create a Windows 7 installation disk, with a lot of preset configurations; I haven't determined how to use it for an existing installation. I have used Ultimate Tweak to make a lot of changes to my existing Win 7 installation.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx
    http://www.myantispyware.com/2005/11...ver-they-hide/

http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/2...s-7-partition/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Kars View Post
    That's a great link! I once screwed up the default settings for half a dozen services in Win 7 in the process of troubleshooting which one was acting up but then couldn't figure out the previous defaults no matter how much I searched online. The above would have saved me from having to re-install Windows .

There is a lot of confusion about jitter...what it is and how it effects the sound. This article from Steve Nugent gives a lot of great information to help understand the issue. For those who just built a server on server Saturday, it may help to give it some break-in before critical listening; I just replaced my motherboard and found that it took a while for the sound to get back to where it was before.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/jitter.htm

It would be interesting to test the jitter performance of Gary's new server model. I don't know how difficult it is to set up a test? We also need to fit a server comparison into a meeting sometime. Willie insists his Mac (with Pure Music) betters a tweaked PC (with Foobar) by a wide margin. I have my doubts about whether an off-the-shelf Mac can have better jitter performance than a highly-modified PC, but it begs a listening test.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fork View Post
    It would be interesting to test the jitter performance of Gary's new server model. I don't know how difficult it is to set up a test?
    You mean a test to measure Jitter? If so, it is quite an expensive proposition. I have an Audio Precision analyzer which can measure it but I have never set it up to do so with Jitter. It is one of the things on my TODO list. Once there, I am happy to measure you all's boxes.

Hi Amir, that would be really cool. I know there are a few of us who would like to take you up on your offer if you get your analyzer set up. That could really help settle that Mac vs. PC debate.

My next jitter reduction effort is to take the one fan in my machine (the CPU fan) off the board, with an AC adapter. Gary says the electrically-noisy fan motor can be audibly detremental. Below is a list of parts from Mouser and SVC.com if anyone wants to try it.

Make sure the fan is spinning in the right direction when you plug it in. The fan will run continuously, so just replace it every few years. There's a small freeware program called CoreTemp that shows the temp of each core in your desktop system tray.

Mouser #: 163-MJ21-EX
    Mfr. #: 163-MJ21-EX
    Desc.: DC Power Connectors PANEL MOUNT 2.1MM

Mouser #: 553-WDU12-100
    Mfr. #: WDU12-100
    Desc.: Plug-In AC Adapters 120 VAC 2.8W 12VDC 0.1A

svc.com 12" Sleeved 3-Pin to 3-Pin Fan Power Extension Cable
    Part #: FC33-12BKS

[WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by fork View Post
    For those who just built a server on server Saturday, it may help to give it some break-in before critical listening; I just replaced my motherboard and found that it took a while for the sound to get back to where it was before.
    That's quite a concept. As I understand it, this server is operating purely in the digital domain. What kind of break-in or warmup does it need and what is happening then? Maybe Amir could take a look at that as well.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    You mean a test to measure Jitter? If so, it is quite an expensive proposition. I have an Audio Precision analyzer which can measure it but I have never set it up to do so with Jitter. It is one of the things on my TODO list. Once there, I am happy to measure you all's boxes.
    Hi Amir, when you do, I'll definitely want to take you up on that. It is amazing what makes a difference in the sound of a server that cannot be explained by computer experts. I have a suspicion that it is jitter, but I don't have the Audio Precision analyzer.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_S View Post
    That's quite a concept. As I understand it, this server is operating purely in the digital domain. What kind of break-in or warmup does it need and what is happening then? Maybe Amir could take a look at that as well.
    Somehow, bits are not bits when they come at the wrong time???? It's only speculation - like it took us 3 years to understand why it is that Solid-State drives sound better than a normal spinning drive - and it had nothing to do with the bits coming out of the drive. It had to do with the electrical contamination from the servo motors in the hard disk drive that moves the head of the disk. When we moved the power supply of the hard drive external of the server, the cheap spinning hard disk drive started sounding as good as the solid state drive.

It's still early in this "technology" - snake oil if you're a "bits are bits" kind of guy. We are still discovering things about this server. One of the builders found something that I still can't bring myself to believe, but I don't have the time right now to get into it. He found that the power cord on the server changed the sound. HUH?? I'm a cable designer, and I don't believe it...... until I can prove/understand it for myself.

The article on jitter points out that spikes in the power supply can cause jitter, so that might explain the benefit of the power cable. I felt like I noticed a benefit when I plugged my machine into my power conditioner.

I'm not sure why break-in would be a factor, but what happened was I had a problem with the motherboard switched to my laptop for music and thought to myself "that doesn't sound very good"; a few weeks later I had the desktop back in action and first though "that sounds like the laptop" and several days later I was thinking the sound was back to normal. There's a lot of speculation built in here and a quantitative measurement like a jitter analysis is probably the only way to really make a solid case for these impressions.

Computer Audio [Technical Expert]
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    If things like HD or SSD, different media players, memory playback, all those tweaks will be backed up by jitter measurements, it will be a first on pc based audio forums and of tremendous value.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast