Music Server Project

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Actually, it happened almost as many times the other way around. They would be saying to each other how quiet, dynamic and clean the digital was and then I'd walk over and take off the record and the music stopped. I would say that there were equal numbers of analog cliques and digital cliques walking around this way. It was very nice, though, that this year I had quite a number of father&son visitors.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gary-I'm having some issues with foo_touchremote. It keeps crashing foobar. It's only installing one dll. I have tried 3 different versions and they all crash.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Is Foobar a "memory" player? Would something like JRiver or Jplay sound better?

mep

Apr 20, 2010

I don't know. All I know is that Foobar sounds damn good.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary-I'm having some issues with foo_touchremote. It keeps crashing foobar. It's only installing one dll. I have tried 3 different versions and they all crash.

Mark, here's where to download the Touch Remote: http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_touchremote

It's a zip file and it contains foo_touchremote plus 3 more .dll files. It is now a full DACP server. You have to install all four .dll files into the components directory of your foobar installation.

Please keep me posted with any and all problems. I'll make sure to update the instructions.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Gary. I will try this tomorrow and see if I can get it to work. I appreciate the time you took to write the article. I'm looking forward to seeing if there any differences between XP Pro and Win 7 with regards to sound quality. Not to mention the hundred or so changes you had me make to the software!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Gary. I will try this tomorrow and see if I can get it to work. I appreciate the time you took to write the article. I'm looking forward to seeing if there any differences between XP Pro and Win 7 with regards to sound quality. Not to mention the hundred or so changes you had me make to the software!

You mean you didn't listen at every change to see if you can hear a difference?? :D :D

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have now bought and I am using dBpoweramp to rip some of my CDs. All my rips have been accurate, but most of them show a very low number of matches - around 4 or 5 in classical music. Does this indicate that the number of registered users is very low? The maximum match grade I could see was 92 with "Buena Vista Social Club".

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The number is indeed the amount of rips having the same checksum as yours
Pop music is called pop because it is popular.
Classical music is not popular so you will find a far lower number.

Surely, I expect that pop will have higher number of rips then classical. But even well known pops have numbers in order of hundreds. Considering the long discussions we had about the end of physical media and the increasing success of music servers I would expect a very large number of users and rips in these databases. But I found that number of effective rips is smaller than the number of WBF members reading about these matters. As they say , where are the others? I can not believe that audiophiles are not interested in bit accuracy! :)

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Observe that the number of programs supporting AccurateRip is very limited: http://www.accuraterip.com/software.htm
Most rippers to day including iTunes and WMP have a secure mode.
They probably read a CD right most of the time.
I wonder if the majority of the audiophile community is interested in file based audio.
A lot of them probably do think that vinyl is the only way to go.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
mep

You must go to "Program Files" folder within Windows, then in this "Program FIles folder, you will find the folder named "foobar2000" when you open this folder and should see inside another folder named "components" .. That is where you must paste the 4 dlls...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz-I just tried that. I drug the 4 files into the component folder. Foobar crashed as soon as I opened it. And even though I pasted all four .dlls in the component folder, when I restarted Foobar in safe mode, it still only showed one touchremote .dll which is the only one it can ever see when you try and install the .dlls from Foobar, and that is the foo_touchremote.dll file. I'm ready to pull my hair out.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Foobar isn't a memory player, but as Vincent mentioned, under the Output options, you can adjust the memory buffer so that the entire tracks buffer. However, with the server-build, all storage is "memory" as the music is stored on a solid-state drive (some people call it a flash drive). The OCZ solid state drive I recommended has as good latency as RAM memory.

Some have reported that the latest version of JRiver, with the event-driven replay mode sounds better than Foobar. That's the next thing I need to try - when I have some time.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Frantz-I just tried that. I drug the 4 files into the component folder. Foobar crashed as soon as I opened it. And even though I pasted all four .dlls in the component folder, when I restarted Foobar in safe mode, it still only showed one touchremote .dll which is the only one it can ever see when you try and install the .dlls from Foobar, and that is the foo_touchremote.dll file. I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Mark, what was the message with Foobar crashing. Did you get the blue screen of death, or does it just disappear.

Did you install the full .NET framework? Not just the client services. It also assumes that Bonjour services (from Apple) is already installed. None of this will work if the wireless services are not enabled with either an external router, or the Virtual Hot Spot set-up.

I didn't have to do it when I built this current server, but in the previous version, you also need to install Microsoft Common Controls - MSCOMCTL.OCX.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Have a look at the Console messages of Foobar. If Foobar works after you delete the touchremote .dll's from the component directory. Under the View menu, there is a [Console] option. Have a look at the messages and there might be some clues - if not, cut and paste the messages here and we can have a look.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Have a look at the Console messages of Foobar. If Foobar works after you delete the touchremote .dll's from the component directory. Under the View menu, there is a [Console] option. Have a look at the messages and there might be some clues - if not, cut and paste the messages here and we can have a look.

Gary-we are talking across threads now. I have the touchremote dll files loaded into Foobar. It shows up under the installed components as "TouchRemote DACP server for Foobar 2000." Now, I'm clueless on getting my Iphone4 set up to remote access foobar. I supposedly download the remote app from Itunes store to my laptop and it (itunes) says I downloaded it, but I sure never saw it setup and run.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
So, Foobar doesn't crash anymore?

If you have the TouchRemote setup in Foobar, you have to download the remote app to iPad/iPhone/iPod - not the laptop music server.

Set up the Virtual Hotspot on the laptop.

Then, on your iDevice, find the laptop-created hotspot and link to it.[Settings] - [Wi Fi] - [Choose a Network]

Once that is done, fire up Foobar on the laptop, then in [FIle] - [Preferences] - [Media Library] - [TouchRemote DACP Server] you need to click the button [Add a New Device] - a menu will pop up asking for a 4 digit number.

On the iDevice, fire up the Remote app, and then [Add an iTunes Library]. It will give you a 4-digit number, which you enter on the laptop, and it should work.

Sorry, but I'm working off (my aged bad) memory as I don't have my iPad nor my laptop server - they are both packed away and somewhere between the Venetian in Las Vegas and my office.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing