Music Server Project

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I wish that someone would give some step-by-step instructions on how to set up a computer music server to use with an IPad starting with the computer not having any wireless capability. I use Foobar now and I want to be able to control it from my listening chair.
I was just reading exactly that, based on software Gary was talking about: http://techie-buzz.com/how-to/conve...wifi-enabled-gadget-to-foobar2000-remote.html

I hope to test all of this and write our own tutorial on it.

Gary, thanks for the information. I have tried other things that just didn't work. I am going to put this through its paces.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I was just reading exactly that, based on software Gary was talking about: http://techie-buzz.com/how-to/conve...wifi-enabled-gadget-to-foobar2000-remote.html

I hope to test all of this and write our own tutorial on it.

Gary, thanks for the information. I have tried other things that just didn't work. I am going to put this through its paces.

The first few versions of foo_touchremote were extremely buggy, and not only hung the iPad, but it also hung the server often. The latest version I have not managed to hang yet.

My music servers all don't have wireless capability - because I found that the built-in wireless degraded the sound quality so here's how I go about setting up:

1. At an Internet-connected computer, download Bonjour Print Services from the Apple website, and foo_touchremote at Wintense.com
  2. You will need a wireless router and I'm assuming that your music server has an ethernet port
  3. Install Bonjour and foo_touchremote you just downloaded on the music server (I use a USB stick to transfer the files)
  4. Plug in the wireless router to the music server using one of the downlink ports. This will create a new WiFi network that is not connected to the Internet
  5. You may need to configure the router to give it a name that you can easily find with the iPad
  6. In the iPad, connect to the Internet and download the Remote app from the iTunes store
  7. Under "Settings" on the iPad, choose the wireless network that you just set-up in Step 5
  8. On Foobar, go to [File] [Preferences] [Media Library] [Footouchremote DACP Server] click [Add a new device]
  9. On the iPad, click the Remote App and click [Add iTunes Library] - it will display a 4-digit number which you will need to enter on the Music Server

Hope that works.....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gary-It all made sense except for hooking up the wireless router by plugging in the wirelesse routher to the music server using one of the downlink ports. I have one ethernet connection on my server and that currently has a CAT-5 cable connecting it to my regular router which is connected to the internet. If you are saying the new wireless router won't be hooked to the internet, how does it plug into my server?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary-It all made sense except for hooking up the wireless router by plugging in the wirelesse routher to the music server using one of the downlink ports. I have one ethernet connection on my server and that currently has a CAT-5 cable connecting it to my regular router which is connected to the internet. If you are saying the new wireless router won't be hooked to the internet, how does it plug into my server?

My music server is not hooked to the Internet, so it is not connected to a router. If your music server is already connected to your regular router, is that router also a wireless access point? If it is, then the additional wireless router is not needed.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-It's a wired router. I get what you are saying now. Your music server is not connected to the net. You download programs to a jumpstick and then load them into your music server. So what you were saying is to take a wireless router, leave it unconnectd from the net, and plug one of the router outputs into the ethernet connection on the server? In my case, I would have to buy a wireless router, plug that into the cable coming from my wired router, and then connect the wireless router into my computer.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Correct. In both cases, the wireless router is what connects to the iPad.

With my server, there are no virus scanners, firewalls, etc. No protection for better sensitivity to the nuances of music :D Hence, I cannot keep it hooked up to the Internet.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
It took some time, but I was finally able to fully audition the Stealth Audio Player's sound. It's a good concept to have a music player without a GUI, to try to lessen the impact on the server. Foobar still trumped Stealth in my super-tweaked audio boot section. I suspect the reason is because my Wyred 4 Sound DAC has it's own custom WASAPI and KS drivers. With the Stealth I can't turn off the Windows Audio, Windows Audio Endpoint and Multimedia Scheduler services, which might be it's downfall. Maybe the Stealth is also using the Windows WASAPI? A superior player requires the superior underlying infrastructure. Going without a GUI is a big sacrifice of convenience (you have to make playlists or click through to the folder with the track you want); it causes you to listen to music differently (kind of like going back to a CD player). If you're listening with those service on anyway, the sound may be better. I might have been willing to sacrifice the convenience, but it had to result in better sound.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
You mean a test to measure Jitter? If so, it is quite an expensive proposition. I have an Audio Precision analyzer which can measure it but I have never set it up to do so with Jitter. It is one of the things on my TODO list. Once there, I am happy to measure you all's boxes.

Amir, did you ever get to this on your TODO list?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Pity, I was hoping to measure instead of listen ;) It's been a year since the first PNWAS Music Server project - I'm building one based on a laptop computer with the new Sandy Bridge processor.

It'll be the big raffle prize at our Christmas Music/Raffle meeting 8th Dec :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think the point is moot Gary if the isolated UBS interface is used. In that case, the PC is a pure data pump. This is a theory that needs to be 100% proven but as a matter of design, it is true.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, agreed. Many of the latest USB DACs use the PC as a pure data pump. However, as I discovered at RMAF, some of these DACs that claim galvanic isolation of the USB doesn't do it well enough.... from one problem to a whole new one.

Which is why I'm building a server into a laptop, so that critical music listening can be on batteries (of course, with dynamic power saving turned off).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Agreed. I almost typed that in my message but did not :). That was the reason I said we need to verify that the PC factor drops out if we have true isolation of timing and power.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-I just wanted to say that I have embarked on your project. I purchased a Toshiba C655 today which I think is the laptop you were describing.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Cool! Let me know if you have any problems - this time, I didn't test run the documented instructions before publishing. The laptop server performed flawlessly over the 4 days of CES. You know digital is being done right when groups of visitors to the room sit down and tell each other how analog is far better then any digital playback - and then see me taking the record off and putting another on and the song is still playing :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Cool! Let me know if you have any problems - this time, I didn't test run the documented instructions before publishing. The laptop server performed flawlessly over the 4 days of CES. You know digital is being done right when groups of visitors to the room sit down and tell each other how analog is far better then any digital playback - and then see me taking the record off and putting another on and the song is still playing :)

mischiefvous you ! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing