Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    HI

I had fortunately ripped most of my CD to disk. I have however some problems with tagging and the likes. What would you suggest as a software to tag my colection ( around 750 GB in flac)... I use Foobar and have ordred the parts to build this particular server.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    If you've ripped to WAV, tagging is difficult as Foobar doesn't associate tags well. What you can do is to convert to FLAC. Software here:
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/

The Flac front-end has a neat way to guess the tags at the same time you convert if you have your hard disk well organized, let it guess the tags based on your directory structure. I store my files as genre\artist\album\tracknumber title.wav - and the software correctly put those tags in.

Within Foobar, highlighting a track and hitting [ALT-ENTER] will bring up the properties dialog and you can change the tags directly. One of the Foobar components I recommended - Masstagger - allows you to tag entire libraries. It has a more flexible guessing algorithm, and I haven't found any combination of tags that I couldn't do.

Converting 1TB of WAV to Flac, tagging everything, including downloading album art took me about 3 days preparing for RMAF.

Computer Audio [Technical Expert]
    I must admit FrantzM could have been a bit more specific about his tagging problems.
    However
    ( around 750 GB in flac)...
    WAV might not be the cause

Thanks to Gary and Vincent.

Fortunately my collectionis in flac.
    I also asked that question a while ago and got an answer but have not been able to perfrom it in foobar. How can one implement a way to move the music to be played from regular storage, say a NAS to an internal SSD. IOW I would like that a given playlist to be moved , automatically to the SSD once chosen for playing.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher

Vincent

The tagging problems stem from having to manually enter information . I would like a way to organize my classical side of the collection by composers, Performers, Orchestra or opus.. In the simplest less time-intensive fashion. It is currently organized by Albums but Classical music often has different Composers or Conductors on the same album...
    The bother to manually enter all CD liner notes and covers was too much and many of my ripped albums are in their respective folder with only the back and Front covers, the cue file and the CD images.
    Frantz

—Carl Sagan
    — E. F. Schumacher

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    How can one implement a way to move the music to be played from regular storage, say a NAS to an internal SSD. IOW I would like that a given playlist to be moved , automatically to the SSD once chosen for playing.
    Music stored anywhere - even offsite! - can sound good. In Foobar - go to File\Preferences\Playback\Output and set the buffer to 15 seconds. Even off a slow network, you will be well cached within the first couple of seconds.

When we did some A/B comparisons, we could not reliably distinguish between music played off the internal SSD and music played off the SATA RAID external drive. I can tell if the music is played off a USB stick, or off a USB drive, but I'm using 480ms as the buffer length.
    Last edited by garylkoh; 10-06-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    The tagging problems stem from having to manually enter information . I would like a way to organize my classical side of the collection by composers, Performers, Orchestra or opus.. In the simplest less time-intensive fashion. It is currently organized by Albums but Classical music often has different Composers or Conductors on the same album...
    Classical music is the hardest. There aren't enough tags, but each tag can have multiple values. For example, I end up using the [Performer] tag for both the orchestra and the soloist, and the [Artist] tag for the conductor. I suppose that it could also be the other way around.

With masstagger installed, you can highlight all the tracks of a particular album, right click on it, and under [Tagging] click [Manage Scripts]. Then, all the options are available, and you can write your own scripts too.

For other genre of music, there is a freedb tagger that gets tags automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    set the buffer to 15 seconds. Even off a slow network, you will be well cached within the first couple of seconds.
    Gary, I'm still playing my music off a standard internal HD, but my sound is not as good at the absolute minimum Foobar Buffer (under 100ms). It sounds better at 500ms and above. It sounds good at 15 seconds, but that introduces a few second delay in the play/pause/next controls, which really got on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by fork View Post
    Gary, I'm still playing my music off a standard internal HD, but my sound is not as good at the absolute minimum Foobar Buffer (under 100ms). It sounds better at 500ms and above. It sounds good at 15 seconds, but that introduces a few second delay in the play/pause/next controls, which really got on my nerves.
    Darrin, yes. I've found that somewhere between 460ms and 580ms to sound the best. I have absolutely no idea why it would. But at minimum it can be quite bad. The buffer fills as it plays, so I don't know why you get delay in your play/pause/next controls. When I hit pause or next, it reacts immediately even though there's a 15sec buffer. The only time you notice the buffer is when you take a CD out of the player, and it goes on playing until the buffer empties.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast