Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

The Newegg price for Win 7 OEM Pro is $140. If anyone has access to a better deal, let us know.

Gary, Black Viper has registry files that can be downloaded with his Tweaked and Bare Bones configurations. I haven't tried his files, but I know it takes about 40 minutes to manually disable everything, so using one of these files and tweaking it (or creating one from your machine) would probably cut this process down to a few minutes.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Yes, I've seen the Black Viper configurations. I'll try them first before recommending to the members.

Joe's working on getting some upgraded parts for the same price. So if anyone's interested in joining Server Saturday, get a hold of him and get your parts ordered.

Why are we advocating a USB DAC for the music server? Is it not inferior to using a good audio card with either SPDIF or AES/EBU outputs?

Hi Renanj, I've only tried one sound Card, in my parents system. I don't remember the model, but it was highly regarded, about $200, and a USB DAC built into the King Rex T20U trashed it. I doubt there's a card out there that can compete with a Weiss, Red Wine, Wyred, or even an HRT Streamer. Also, many people I've heard from claim the noise that bleeds into an onboard card is way too much for high-end audio. Your DAC doesn't have to be USB, as these motherboards also have digital outputs (without a soundcard).
    Last edited by fork; 09-11-2010 at 03:04 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fork View Post
    The Newegg price for Win 7 OEM Pro is $140. If anyone has access to a better deal, let us know.
    I do but you need to have a friend who works at Microsoft .

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by renanj View Post
    Why are we advocating a USB DAC for the music server? Is it not inferior to using a good audio card with either SPDIF or AES/EBU outputs?
    Renan,

In my experience, YMMV. The internal audio card is subject to the digital noise inside the casing. That is why we spray the inside of the case with the Super Shield. That is to keep the EMI/RFI inside the case, not to keep it out. That is also why we don't turn on WiFi on the machine. I picked a motherboard that does not have on-board WiFi.

In my experience, I have found that a good external DAC - either Firewire or USB - outperforms an internal audio card. The same external DAC on Firewire outperformed the RME Hammerfall feeding it. I don't know about the Lynx though.

The server I'm envisioning building also has too small a case to put any expansion cards in. This is a really small form factor box that can sit in your audio rack. You might not even need a new shelf for it if you can scoot one of your components to a side. My plan is that it is small enough that it can sit on the same shelf as a Weiss DAC in a standard rack.

You have to remember my objectives - reliable, good sound. I bring will bring it to at least 2 shows a year, and carry it with me around the country visiting dealers.

I think that from what I have read and put together, a good soundcard to be used only for ASIO digital out, feeding an outboard DAC is better than USB or Firewire out. I have used the Digital Audio Labs sound card and a Lynx sound card strictly for ASIO out only with an outboard DAC and it sounds amazing. I use a Mini-ITX motherboard from Intel with a small footprint case, that's fanless and has an external power supply (wall wart). It produces no RF that I know of and is completely silent. It cost me around $300 including a 250 gb hard drive. I use an Acer Netbook (fanless and running Win 7) for $279 as the remote control to the server - it serves 2 purposes - 1) acts as a remote 2) can be used as a laptop and taken on the road. The gold standard used by Stereophile to evaluate DACs is to use a Digital Audio Labs sound card in a fanless computer. Anyway, this is my 2 cents for what it's worth. I'd like to have you hear what I have put together sometime.

Hi Renan, your setup sounds pretty slick. My preconceived notions may need to be tested. It would be fun do a shootout with several servers connected to the same DAC and see how they sound.

From what you've read, what are the potential benefits and to avoiding USB / Firewire and what is the reasoning? Also, why use a sound card, rather than a direct out from the motherboard...is it because you can't use the ASIO driver on the motherboard output or that it introduces jitter?
    Last edited by fork; 09-12-2010 at 10:56 PM.

We can delay the server build project until after we have had the time to do a shoot-out if you'd like. I have a deadline as I'm building a server for RMAF and can't wait for such a shoot-out.

To be totally objective, there should be four comparisons:

0) Baseline - the club's 777.

1) Server as configured by each builder - Renan with his server, built-in soundcard, my server with my external Firewire DAC, both analog out to the club system.
    2) Renan's server with his choice of sound card and digital out (I assume SPDIF), and my server with the Weiss as a Firewire to digital-out interface to a 3rd party DAC. May be we can persuade Renee to bring in his Alpha DAC
    3) Both servers with USB out to a USB DAC. May be Joe can bring in his Music Hall, or someone else can bring in a good USB DAC.
    4) Both servers with on-board digital output into a budget DAC as the lowest common denominator. On my server, it will be the on-motherboard Toslink output. On Renan's it will be the either the DAL digital output or the Lynx digital output.

Cheers
    Gary

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast