Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Pity, I was hoping to measure instead of listen It's been a year since the first PNWAS Music Server project - I'm building one based on a laptop computer with the new Sandy Bridge processor.

It'll be the big raffle prize at our Christmas Music/Raffle meeting 8th Dec

Banned
    I think the point is moot Gary if the isolated UBS interface is used. In that case, the PC is a pure data pump. This is a theory that needs to be 100% proven but as a matter of design, it is true.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Yes, agreed. Many of the latest USB DACs use the PC as a pure data pump. However, as I discovered at RMAF, some of these DACs that claim galvanic isolation of the USB doesn't do it well enough.... from one problem to a whole new one.

Which is why I'm building a server into a laptop, so that critical music listening can be on batteries (of course, with dynamic power saving turned off).

Banned
    Agreed. I almost typed that in my message but did not . That was the reason I said we need to verify that the PC factor drops out if we have true isolation of timing and power.

Folks, here's the server I'll be using at CES. Instructions to build it will be out soon. Stay tuned.

Attachment 2702

Hi folks,

Instructions to build the server are in my CES newsletter here: http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/n...sary_issue.pdf

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Gary-I just wanted to say that I have embarked on your project. I purchased a Toshiba C655 today which I think is the laptop you were describing.

Cool! Let me know if you have any problems - this time, I didn't test run the documented instructions before publishing. The laptop server performed flawlessly over the 4 days of CES. You know digital is being done right when groups of visitors to the room sit down and tell each other how analog is far better then any digital playback - and then see me taking the record off and putting another on and the song is still playing

Computer Audio [Technical Expert]
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    you know digital is being done right when groups of visitors to the room sit down and tell each other how analog is far better then any digital playback - and then see me taking the record off and putting another on and the song is still playing

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Cool! Let me know if you have any problems - this time, I didn't test run the documented instructions before publishing. The laptop server performed flawlessly over the 4 days of CES. You know digital is being done right when groups of visitors to the room sit down and tell each other how analog is far better then any digital playback - and then see me taking the record off and putting another on and the song is still playing
    mischiefvous you !
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast