Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I wish that someone would give some step-by-step instructions on how to set up a computer music server to use with an IPad starting with the computer not having any wireless capability. I use Foobar now and I want to be able to control it from my listening chair.
    I was just reading exactly that, based on software Gary was talking about: http://techie-buzz.com/how-to/conver...00-remote.html

I hope to test all of this and write our own tutorial on it.

Gary, thanks for the information. I have tried other things that just didn't work. I am going to put this through its paces.

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I was just reading exactly that, based on software Gary was talking about: http://techie-buzz.com/how-to/conver...00-remote.html

I hope to test all of this and write our own tutorial on it.

Gary, thanks for the information. I have tried other things that just didn't work. I am going to put this through its paces.
    The first few versions of foo_touchremote were extremely buggy, and not only hung the iPad, but it also hung the server often. The latest version I have not managed to hang yet.

My music servers all don't have wireless capability - because I found that the built-in wireless degraded the sound quality so here's how I go about setting up:

1. At an Internet-connected computer, download Bonjour Print Services from the Apple website, and foo_touchremote at Wintense.com
    2. You will need a wireless router and I'm assuming that your music server has an ethernet port
    3. Install Bonjour and foo_touchremote you just downloaded on the music server (I use a USB stick to transfer the files)
    4. Plug in the wireless router to the music server using one of the downlink ports. This will create a new WiFi network that is not connected to the Internet
    5. You may need to configure the router to give it a name that you can easily find with the iPad
    6. In the iPad, connect to the Internet and download the Remote app from the iTunes store
    7. Under "Settings" on the iPad, choose the wireless network that you just set-up in Step 5
    8. On Foobar, go to [File] [Preferences] [Media Library] [Footouchremote DACP Server] click [Add a new device]
    9. On the iPad, click the Remote App and click [Add iTunes Library] - it will display a 4-digit number which you will need to enter on the Music Server

Hope that works.....

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Here are a few screenshots of the iPad and foo_touchremote:

Album view - with album window open

Name:  Album View..jpg
Views: 457
Size:  75.6 KB

Artists view

Name:  Artist View..jpg
Views: 656
Size:  72.9 KB

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Gary-It all made sense except for hooking up the wireless router by plugging in the wirelesse routher to the music server using one of the downlink ports. I have one ethernet connection on my server and that currently has a CAT-5 cable connecting it to my regular router which is connected to the internet. If you are saying the new wireless router won't be hooked to the internet, how does it plug into my server?

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Gary-It all made sense except for hooking up the wireless router by plugging in the wirelesse routher to the music server using one of the downlink ports. I have one ethernet connection on my server and that currently has a CAT-5 cable connecting it to my regular router which is connected to the internet. If you are saying the new wireless router won't be hooked to the internet, how does it plug into my server?
    My music server is not hooked to the Internet, so it is not connected to a router. If your music server is already connected to your regular router, is that router also a wireless access point? If it is, then the additional wireless router is not needed.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Gary-It's a wired router. I get what you are saying now. Your music server is not connected to the net. You download programs to a jumpstick and then load them into your music server. So what you were saying is to take a wireless router, leave it unconnectd from the net, and plug one of the router outputs into the ethernet connection on the server? In my case, I would have to buy a wireless router, plug that into the cable coming from my wired router, and then connect the wireless router into my computer.

Correct. In both cases, the wireless router is what connects to the iPad.

With my server, there are no virus scanners, firewalls, etc. No protection for better sensitivity to the nuances of music Hence, I cannot keep it hooked up to the Internet.

It took some time, but I was finally able to fully audition the Stealth Audio Player's sound. It's a good concept to have a music player without a GUI, to try to lessen the impact on the server. Foobar still trumped Stealth in my super-tweaked audio boot section. I suspect the reason is because my Wyred 4 Sound DAC has it's own custom WASAPI and KS drivers. With the Stealth I can't turn off the Windows Audio, Windows Audio Endpoint and Multimedia Scheduler services, which might be it's downfall. Maybe the Stealth is also using the Windows WASAPI? A superior player requires the superior underlying infrastructure. Going without a GUI is a big sacrifice of convenience (you have to make playlists or click through to the folder with the track you want); it causes you to listen to music differently (kind of like going back to a CD player). If you're listening with those service on anyway, the sound may be better. I might have been willing to sacrifice the convenience, but it had to result in better sound.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    You mean a test to measure Jitter? If so, it is quite an expensive proposition. I have an Audio Precision analyzer which can measure it but I have never set it up to do so with Jitter. It is one of the things on my TODO list. Once there, I am happy to measure you all's boxes.
    Amir, did you ever get to this on your TODO list?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Amir, did you ever get to this on your TODO list?
    I have not unfortunately. One of these days I will have to give it a try.....

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast