Music Server Project

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
So if I get other laptop brands using this Sandy Bridge processor, will the settings also change (bloatware to delete)?

Yes. The settings in my paper are specific to the particular model of Toshiba that I've used - the C655-S5339. Mark bought a C655-S5504 which is a model exclusive to Best Buy in the US. Anything of the same "breed" will work - that is with the B950 or B960 processor.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mark, Vincent posted the link. It is really just as simple as is shown in the link.

Thanks. Is WebGizmo free or paid? If paid can we try a free evaluation version?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After 1 hour and 20 minutes, it completed one pass. It gave me the message, "Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit." I consider the memtest complete and I have no problems with my memory (computer that is).

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is the server behaving? If it is, then just leave the buffer at 880ms. Try out JRiver (ver 15 and above) and let us know if you think it sounds better/worse/no difference.

Once my shipments come back from CES, I'll try the server out with the EMU 0404 and see if it crashes when I increase the buffer size.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-I have the laptop upstairs right now because I just ran the memory test and we know that's ok. I went ahead and fired Foobar up and I'm letting it play randomly. Of course I had to change the output settings because the 0404 is not hooked up to it upstairs and it is just using the internal sound card and the horrible built in speakers which I have on mute. I'm going to let it play for awhile and see if it crashes.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-I never once had a crash of Foobar when I was using it on my desktop computer server with WinXP Pro.

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
Since SSD are expensive, will the performance be the same if a lower capacity SSD is used just enough for the OS and the softwares plus external HDD?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Joey,

I have not done an extensive, very serious, blind comparison, but based on my impressions, the new (Jan 2012) laptop server with a USB external HDD and a USB DAC, the old server (Oct 2010) sounds better with USB DAC and eSATA external HDD.

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
Hi Gary,

How about laptop with i3 processors, are they ok as music servers? There preowned units for sale and would like to know if it will serve its purpose for Hifi music use.

Regards,
JoeyGS

JoeyGS

Jul 9, 2011
Laguna, Philippines
Thanks Gary for being responsive to my queries.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
For those of you using an iPad with Remote to control the original server or the laptop server, Remote 2.3 released by Apple breaks TouchRemote because of a tighter implementation of Fairplay. So, if you don't need it, do not upgrade from Remote 2.2. There is supposed to be a temporary fix, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing