Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Server Project

I have been reading about your server project. Basically I started something very similar some months ago but based on a laptop with W7 as "the player" with Foobar2000, and another PC as the server(OS installed in a SSD) containing the music files in a Western Digital GreenCAviar HDisk (both share the same home network, obviously). Yesterday I spent some time playing some music with it so I could burn-in my new Adam A7X. However I decided to play the music in the laptop, not through Foobar2000 but with a little ultra-minimalistic free mediaplayer:
    http://andy-audioplayer.blogspot.com/ and it seems to me that this last one sounds even more detailed... Have any of you tried it before ? Of course you can adjust also the memory-buffer.

Getting the music data (from another PC), playing it with the laptop (disconnected from mains, just with batteries) and with this minimalist Wasapi player makes the music, apparently, even more transparet and detailed. ...any thoughts after trying it ? Oh, yes, I forgot to tell you: your antivirus may detect it as a virus but it is not, of course, it's just that the program modifies the register.
    Last edited by audiofilodigital; 02-11-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Computer Audio [Technical Expert]
    If you are playing running on battery check the power saving schema.
    It might have a very negative impact: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/I...owerSaving.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Kars View Post
    If you are playing running on battery check the power saving schema.
    It might have a very negative impact: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/I...owerSaving.htm
    ...ops, I see... thanks, Vincent. I'll plug it and listen to again. :-)

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    The point is that running on battery is good for sound, but you have to disable power saving.

Thanks, Gary, no problem: I got the point :-).

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    Folks, Wintense just released a new version of foo_touchremote. It now pairs with TunesRemote+ which means that it will pair with Android devices and Windows 7 phones. Seems to be more stable when switching views from album to genre to artists too.

Quote Originally Posted by audiofilodigital View Post
    I decided to play the music in the laptop, not through Foobar2000 but with a little ultra-minimalistic free mediaplayer:
    http://andy-audioplayer.blogspot.com/ and it seems to me that this last one sounds even more detailed... Have any of you tried it before ? Of course you can adjust also the memory-buffer.
    Hello Audiofilodigital, thank you for letting us know about this. I installed it last week and after a few days of troubleshooting, I've been evaluating it. I'm using Zu Druid speakers, a Wyred DAC2, a Modwright 36.5 pre, a homemade F5 amp and too many other things to mention. The server is a fanless desktop, with an audio boot section with a stripped Win 7 OS, Foobar and almost all of the services, drivers and registry keys disabled (no networking, advanced graphics or other non-essential features).

Given my server setup, a player without a GUI sounded intriguing. After listening over the weekend, the sound was definitely different, but by the end of the weekend I wasn't sure it was better. I did some tests with DPC latency checker, with both of the players and found the latency was slightly higher on the Stealth Player. Unfortunately, DPC is not very detailed and you have to kind of eyball it, rather than get an precise measurement. I haven't measured with changes to the Stealth buffer settings, so that may change things. I'm hoping to find a latency test with more data, like RATT or Microsoft PerfX (if I can figure out how to use it).

I have a few suggestions for your laptop/desktop setup. Try Throttlestop to undervolt your CPU; it may run on the lowest setting if you're only playing music on the machine, but if it crashes, just inch it up another step until it's stable (you could extend the battery charge life by 10-15%). If your laptop has a SATA or eSATA connection (not USB), try Gary's suggestion to use an external HD enclosure that's powered externally and connects with SATA, then disable your Wireless drivers and turn the switch off. Use Autoruns to shut off unused drivers (make sure to save an image first and use the last good configuration feature, if you get a crash).

Cheers,

Darin

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hard...top-guide.html
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Folks, Wintense just released a new version of foo_touchremote. It now pairs with TunesRemote+ which means that it will pair with Android devices and Windows 7 phones. Seems to be more stable when switching views from album to genre to artists too.
    Tell us more Gary. What does this app do? The web page barely talks about it. Does it remote the library and fully controls foobar remotely? And iTunes???? Do you get album view and such or just text list of files?

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Tell us more Gary. What does this app do? The web page barely talks about it. Does it remote the library and fully controls foobar remotely? And iTunes???? Do you get album view and such or just text list of files?
    Everything you said. I use to remotely control Foobar on my server. I get album view so that I can flip through by album cover art, it sorts by genre, artist, and composer with album art. I'm still trying to make it work with my Android phone, but it seems to work perfectly with an iPad. When you were here the other day, that was what II was using to pick the music. I'll post a few screenshots tomorrow.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    I wish that someone would give some step-by-step instructions on how to set up a computer music server to use with an IPad starting with the computer not having any wireless capability. I use Foobar now and I want to be able to control it from my listening chair.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast