The way to go

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Looks like this will be the first post on this site! I believe that with music stored on a hard drive with no compression played through an excellent DAC you can have sonics that compete with top of the line CD players and transport/DAC combos. Add the convenience of having your entire digital music collection available to you at a click and you have an unbeatable combo.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Congrats rsbeck. You should get a pair of LAMM monoblocks for being the virgin poster. Or at least a WBF coffee cup.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I have an old UHE coffe mug that I can donate :p

As do I for being the 1000th poster on the UHE (can I say that here?) forum.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
HI

My first post here!!

I had a good portion of my Audio Collection on a Hard Disk .. One of the best things I 've done in my 45 years plus in Audio ... I have promptly duplicated that HDD and put it in safe storage. I, also believe that Computer-based music systems are the future. heck I will have said it .. Digital IS the future. We can feel all warm and fuzzy about LP and Tapes but Digital seems to hold the future of High-Fi.
I am looking forward to spirited discussions in this forum. Recent events have had me thinking very much about High End Audio and while I am far from what has been termed an "objectivist" I have been leaning that way seeing how much we have erred toward "Subjectivism".
I never had the opportunity to conduct a serious comparison between my Transport and the Computer-based system. The DAC and Transport were slaved to each other, I believe the DAC had the Master Clock, in principle that is an advantage. I don't think I will ever again the expensive route of a CD Transport anymore , mine was quite pricey , rather I will use a serious DAC , and a PC ..

More ... l8r

Frantz

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have been streaming music from a hard drive for three years, first using a Squeezebox 3 modified by Boulder which I later replaced with a Transporter modified by ModWright. As you stated in your posts I too believe the CD may eventually go to the same place that 8 tracks currently reside. The ability to download hi-rez music directly to your hard drive is not the wave of the future as it is already state of the art today. I am interested in moving from the Transporter into one of the new DACs and hope to do so very soon.

Ken

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Purely by accident, I conducted a study. I built a new house with a dedicated two channel listening room and a separate dedicated theater with a projector, both with acoustical design by Keith Yates.

In my two channel listening room, I set up my trusty Emm Labs Front End, DAC and pre-amp and just for grins, I also set up my old den system in the same room, but with a twist;

Before moving into the new house, I ripped all of my 2000+ CD's uncompressed onto a NAS (Network Attached Server) and used it in the new house to feed a Sonos System so I could have music at my fingertips all through the house (13 zones including the backyard pool and patio).

All I had to do was place a Sonos player and DAC on top of my Emm Labs stack and I figured, heck, this way I can play around with the Sonos thing while I work on my laptop in the listening room.

This is what I figured;

I will use the Sonos for the fun of it, but -- hey -- I am an audiophile! When I want to do some serious listening, which will be all the time, right? RIGHT?! I will get a disc out of one of my binders -- I long ago quit using the jewel cases -- put it in the Emm Labs transport and have SERIOUS music. What we audiophiles like to call CRITICAL listening.

It took me a full year and a few months to realize that I had actually been conducting this study, but one day it dawned on me that the results were staring me right in the mug.

In 16 months, I had listened to and -- gasp -- even enjoyed the heck out of -- hundreds of hours of music -- with the Sonos -- in my listening room.

I had yet to pull out a disc to play in the Emm Labs.

So, I sold the Emm Labs gear.

Sonos plus excellent DAC sounds damn good and I listen to music a lot more often.

I use an Apogee Mini Dac and to my ears it is a giant killer, a huge bang for the buck.

To my ears, it sounds wonderfully detailed yet organic and natural.

I know there are other solutions that also sound great, other DAC's, other players.

Love to hear what others are using and happy to answer any questions from anyone thinking about going this route, whether you are thinking about doing it in your serious music system or a less serious den system -- which is how I started experimenting -- or if you're looking to distribute music into a zone or two or thirteen.

I'm sure there are others here who can help, too.

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have a computer based server on my to do list for this year and would welcome any of your suggestions

Do you have wi-fi in your house?

Can your current DAC be used as part of a hard drive system?

First thing to do is decide on your storage solution.

Your server.

Next, rip your CD collection to it, uncompressed.

Some people use lossless and swear you can't tell the difference, but I figure at the price of hard drive space these days, what the heck, just rip it uncompressed.

If you don't want to sit there ripping CD's, get a neighborhood kid to do it for ten bucks an hour.

In my experience, there are several systems out there that include a server, but they charge a huge premium for the server and that makes these a non-starter for me.

So, I recommend you get started by picking a server and digitizing your CD collection uncompressed -- because you're going to need to do this no matter which route you go with the player.

If your current DAC can be used in a hard drive system, and -- correct me if I'm wrong -- I believe it can -- you just need a player to get the signal from your server and feed it to your DAC and -- bada bing -- you in bidness!

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here's another suggestion;

If you think you might want to go with a solution that includes a server, start this way ----

Hard drive storage is so cheap these days, just get an external hard drive, whatever size you need.

To be safe, figure you need approximately 50 gigs per 100 CD's.

Get the neighborhood kid or a niece or nephew to rip your collection to an external hard drive while you decide which system you're going with.

When you decide, simply click, drag, and copy your music collection from your external hard drive to your server and keep the external hard drive as a back-up.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If one is interested in an incredibly slick, drag and drop user interface for a music server, take a look at the QSonix. I have had mine for several years and the user interface is incredible. While it has analog out, I use digital out to my Benchmark DAC. And sonically, I came from the 4 piece dCS stack and am not looking back. I have not played with the Meridian piece and I 'm sure it is excellent, but I challenge anyone who is not going to "roll their own" to check this product out (and no I am not a representative of the company).

I have mine (which physically exists just outside my listening room) connected to a system upstairs and the iPhone interface makes it very easy to change play-lists, skip selections, etc while I am anywhere in the house.

Check out the demo on their website at http://www.qsonix.com/Public/v5/ProductsOverview.aspx

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am interested to read impression about the Apogee miniDAC as a preamp and of course a DAC. For various reasons one of them cost and another technical. I am beginning to think that a DAC should be able to drive amps as well. I will sincerely admit that in my previous system, the DAC needed the inclusion of the line level preamp to show its magic. That, I did find peculiar but let it pass... But now I am thinking about it and should have conducted more elaborate tests ... I am of the less-is-more persuasion. Heck! I am thinking that a properly designed Integrated amplifier in these days of line level sources, should surpass our classic Source ---cable---Line Stage ----Cable---- Amp ... Call it minimalism ... To go back to the Apogee miniDAC, the thing is about $750 !! I would like to know how it compares to the benchmark DAC-1.

Frantz

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
One of the things I love about the Apogee is that I do not need a pre-amp. I take a SPDiF digital connection from the Sonos ZP-80, then run balanced interconnects from the Apogee to my two Levinson 436 Monoblocks, Canare 4s11 + WBT connectors to my speakers -- how's that for streamlined?

In my previous den set-up, it was even more streamlined.

I used balanced interconnects to connect to two internally bi-amped Mackie powered speakers, eliminating the need for pre-amp and speaker cables!

I have not compared the Apogee to the Benchmark, but I've heard good things about the Benchmark.

One of my tests for any piece of gear is this; once I put the piece in my system, do I still get the itch to replace it? The audiophile in me will always be curious so I am open to the idea that there may be a better DAC out there, but I am coming from a top of the line Sony SACD player to Emm Labs stack and I don't have that tell tale itch.

That tells me something.

$750 is a chunk o' dough, but I tried a few less expensive solutions (M-Audio) and could not be happy with them.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I am in the process of ripping all of my 1500+/- cds into iTunes. I stream wireless to an Apple Airport in my 2CH system where I use the DACs in my MCD500...very very good DACs in my MCD500 I might add. I control iTunes from my listening chair via iTouch and it works nicely. Regarding sound, I have A/B between the Airport and cd on my MCD500 and if there is any difference at all, it would possibly be that the Airport sounds a bit warmer which is not a bad thing at all since it seems all the detail is still there. I have about $400 invested in this setup and it sounds at least as good as the McIntosh MS750 music server with an msrp of $6K.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That sounds like an excellent solution for a one zone system. I've heard from a number of people who are happy using an Apple Airport.

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I'm interested in the mods you did on each, why you did them and was the mod efficacious?

I have a computer based server on my to do list for this year and would welcome any of your suggestions

Steve:

I started with a Logitech Squeezebox 3 and sent it to Bolder (http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/StoreFront) for analog mods to the unit and to a power supply. When I received the unit back I ran RCA's (single ended) from the S3 to a Burson Buffer to a preamp to my mono bloc amps. A better way to do this today would be to purchase a new Logitech Touch and use a digital connection to a high quality DAC (some of the new ones also have volume control and act as a DAC and Preamp).

One of the hottest streaming products on the market in 2008 was the Transporter modified with a tube output stage by ModWright (http://www.modwright.com). This unit has been critically reviewed and the reviewers claim the music produced rivals the very best CD Players. The ModWright Transporter replaced the Squeezebox and Burson Buffer in my system.

Logitech with the Touch, Squeezebox and Transporter are a very easy way to step into computer audio. Once you rip your CDs onto a hard drive and download Squeezecenter from Logitech (free) you are ready to go if you have a router system in your home. It is very simple and once you take the step it is unlikely you will again prefer changing CDs.

Ken

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
I have a Meridian Sooloos music server based system that I really love. I run a digital cable from my Control 10 to my Playback Designs dac. To my ears , the sound is better than when I was using a two box Emm Labs set up. The Sooloos system is expensive when compared to other servers, but once you experience the covenience of using it, it would be hard for me to use anything else. The real beauty of the Sooloos is the powerful software that Meridian has developed that make it so easy to use. If you are thinking about adding a server based system, I would consider calling a Meridian Sooloos dealer and asking him to bring on out to demo. I believe most dealers are more than willing to do this because they believe that once a customer tries it, the customer quite offen just writes a check.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I am in the process of ripping all of my 1500+/- cds into iTunes. I stream wireless to an Apple Airport in my 2CH system where I use the DACs in my MCD500...very very good DACs in my MCD500 I might add. I control iTunes from my listening chair via iTouch and it works nicely. Regarding sound, I have A/B between the Airport and cd on my MCD500 and if there is any difference at all, it would possibly be that the Airport sounds a bit warmer which is not a bad thing at all since it seems all the detail is still there. I have about $400 invested in this setup and it sounds at least as good as the McIntosh MS750 music server with an msrp of $6K.

My system is similar. I ripped all of my CDs to a 2TB network attached storage device. I use a laptop with Itunes or an Ipod touch to control my selections. The network streams wirelessly to an Airport Express which is connected by Toslink to my DAC. It's a bit convoluted but works flawlessly. I never use my CD player.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
One of the things I love about the Apogee is that I do not need a pre-amp. I take a SPDiF digital connection from the Sonos ZP-80, then run balanced interconnects from the Apogee to my two Levinson 436 Monoblocks, Canare 4s11 + WBT connectors to my speakers -- how's that for streamlined?

Some folks report better results with a preamp, even when the opportunity to bypass it is available. Have you compared the sound both ways?

I ask because I thought of this approach myself as a means of combining high-res stereo with a home theater setup.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing