Entreq Tellus grounding

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Guillame, Cleanus is NOT a way to ground the mains? I was sure this was the equivalent of plugging a Troy direct into the mains via a Thor PC. So, in my case where I'm likely to stick w/a S. Tellus, 8 Apollos to my various components, and a combination of hardwired 10 outlet balanced transformer and Burmester conditioner (no move to Powerus) in series, do you think a Cleanus ought to be considered?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, I believe there are at least 3 levels of Powerus. Challenger Powerus at £3300 is prob the most appropriate price/performance model (esp. in my case where had I decked out my system w/Entreq PCs I would have gone Challenger), but at 2-3x the price Atlantis Powerus would be SOTA, and a great complement to an all-Atlantis loom.
My point is that a really radical impvt has been wrought from my system in separating power/non-power components, and if I didn't have the Burmester to hand, the Powerus would take that role. I have no doubts a Challenger Powerus may well outperform my Burmester, but the level of SQ I've got to, I'm really happy not to look beyond.

The Challenger Powerus beating a Burmester 948 would be pretty big given that there are 2 levels above the Challenger, and your Burmester is supposedly to be a serious piece of equipment.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The Challenger Powerus beating a Burmester 948 would be pretty big given that there are 2 levels above the Challenger, and your Burmester is supposedly to be a serious piece of equipment.

Fully agree , highly unlikely !

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You guys may be right. The fascinating thing is that when I first installed the Burmester some 8 years ago, this was well before I moved into balanced power, let alone grounding. At that point, it was a vast impvt over standard mains, but had a major negative re softened dynamics, which I put down to possible damping effects on peak current supplied during dynamic swings. I then switched to a cost effective 3kVA balanced power transformer, which eliminated such restrictions, maxxed out now by my current pro-studio grade 8kVA unit. And Entreq grounding has taken the system a notch or two further.
So, imagine my surprise that reintroducing the Burmester has been so successful - this I now put down to the fact that it is only supplying the non-power components, those requiring zero restriction to current (SET amps/Zu sub amps) supplied direct from the transformer.
Wher the Challenger Powerus would compare to the Burmester, I really don't know.
Interestingly this separation of power/non power was exactly what Fraser the UK Entreq rep recommended when he advised trying the Powerus in series w/my transformer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You guys may be right. The fascinating thing is that when I first installed the Burmester some 8 years ago, this was well before I moved into balanced power, let alone grounding. At that point, it was a vast impvt over standard mains, but had a major negative re softened dynamics, which I put down to possible damping effects on peak current supplied during dynamic swings. I then switched to a cost effective 3kVA balanced power transformer, which eliminated such restrictions, maxxed out now by my current pro-studio grade 8kVA unit. And Entreq grounding has taken the system a notch or two further.
So, imagine my surprise that reintroducing the Burmester has been so successful - this I now put down to the fact that it is only supplying the non-power components, those requiring zero restriction to current (SET amps/Zu sub amps) supplied direct from the transformer.
Wher the Challenger Powerus would compare to the Burmester, I really don't know.
Interestingly this separation of power/non power was exactly what Fraser the UK Entreq rep recommended when he advised trying the Powerus in series w/my transformer.

Have you put Stillpoints under your Burmester? Try it. I thought for sure the Transport would be the place to get the most vibrational effects...it has the LEAST of everything. The Power Conditioner and tubed power supplies improved more.

I wonder what would happen to that 'softening' you noted if you put some Ultra 5s or Ultra SS underneath. Ask Fraser.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lloyd, I've been getting excellent results using Symposium Acoustics Isis/Rollerblocks Jnrs isolation (3 tier rack and pair of monoblocks amp-stands for my equipment), and despite the benefits I've heard from Stillpoints, I'm sticking w/my choice. Since I'm not going to invest further in Entreq (other than poss Cleanus to address the transformer), this is freeing up much-needed funds to put twds more Symposium (tbh, I'm v.pleased about this - I don't have unlimited funds, and there is no way I could be pushing for more equipment vibration isolation if I was planning to keep ploughing money into grounding). I'm looking at adding another tier to my Isis rack to house the Burmester, and a stand-alone Isis amp-stand (replicating my SETs isolation) to plonk my 65kg transformer on, w/a simpler configuration of Svelte shelf/Rollerblocks Jnrs pucks for the S. Tellus/poss Cleanus. I do believe this will eek out another 10% (at least) impvt.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stillpoints has announced in another thread they distribute Entreq in the US...so for all the US guys who want to compare Tripoint and Entreq...you may now do so.

And for those who are just interested in either of 2 great grounding solutions...enjoy!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Stillpoints has announced in another thread they distribute Entreq in the US...so for all the US guys who want to compare Tripoint and Entreq...you may now do so.

And for those who are just interested in either of 2 great grounding solutions...enjoy!

That is good news.
They complement each other extremely well in mine and many other systems.
Our fellow members in the States will be able to try Entreq products and decide whether to follow that route or the Tripoint route but whichever they choose the benefits of effective grounding really are a no brainer which hopefully many others will be able to enjoy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is good news.
They complement each other extremely well in mine and many other systems.
Our fellow members in the States will be able to try Entreq products and decide whether to follow that route or the Tripoint route but whichever they choose the benefits of effective grounding really are a no brainer which hopefully many others will be able to enjoy.

Agree!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for that news.
The prices are pretty well the same as here in the UK and I hope you find them as beneficial to your system as they have been to mine and to many others.
I should have a Receivus in the next couple of weeks to try out and I am assured it should work a treat on my Vitus SIA 025 amp.
Will post once I get it and look forward to reading of your experiences in the near future.
My understanding is that the quality of the mains supply in lots of the US is not as good as over here, but no doubt it varies from one area to another. so I would have thought the Entreq grounding would be even more useful over there.
Awaiting your next thrilling instalment!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Look forward to lots of reports!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Based on what I have heard in HK & comparing the effectiveness of Entreq silver with Atlantis ground cables in my syst, I expect Tripoint to walk over Entreq. Don't take my words for it . Maybe some of you guys can arrange a shoot out between these 2 components .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Audioblazer, Troy may indeed walk over Entreq. Given the price differential, esp in the UK, kitting out my system would have been 2-3x pricier w/Troy, and no chance to upgrade (all in cost Troy v. upgradeability Entreq), and I'm v. happy to have invested in a product that potentially could be shown a clean pair of heels.
One thing is true, both Entreq and Troy have the capacity to turbo charge the performance of a system, vitally retaining the tonal qualities of that system (unlike wholesale component changes) and hence if you've carefully chosen and spent big bucks getting a system you really are happy with, grounding will just break performance thru the headroom of system noise/hash, even if you're not really aware it exists.
You can't go wrong w/either make - it's really a matter of how deep your pockets are, and whether you can buy all in one go (Troy) v. happy to upgrade (S. Tellus to Atlantis, Apollo to Atlantis).
Just one note Christian, you can't run an Atlantis box standalone, it's purely an add-on to an existing S. Tellus.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Audioblazer, Troy may indeed walk over Entreq. Given the price differential, esp in the UK, kitting out my system would have been 2-3x pricier w/Troy, and no chance to upgrade (all in cost Troy v. upgradeability Entreq), and I'm v. happy to have invested in a product that potentially could be shown a clean pair of heels.
One thing is true, both Entreq and Troy have the capacity to turbo charge the performance of a system, vitally retaining the tonal qualities of that system (unlike wholesale component changes) and hence if you've carefully chosen and spent big bucks getting a system you really are happy with, grounding will just break performance thru the headroom of system noise/hash, even if you're not really aware it exists.
You can't go wrong w/either make - it's really a matter of how deep your pockets are, and whether you can buy all in one go (Troy) v. happy to upgrade (S. Tellus to Atlantis, Apollo to Atlantis).
Just one note Christian, you can't run an Atlantis box standalone, it's purely an add-on to an existing S. Tellus.

So what is the best way to use their grounding cables for each component ? You can use signal grounds via the rca or xlr plug on the component side and or you can use the chassis ground using a spade for the ground terminal on the TT, a phono stage or a chassis screw on other components. Should you do both ? Which approach is better ?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The UK Entreq distributor has connected all my sources and amplifier using the RCA sockets including the phono stage but not the turntable itself.
I use Entreq cabling for signal i/cs so they are connected separately to one of my two silver Tellus and the speaker cables are connected to a silver Minimus.
I have never felt the need to make chassis connection in addition preferring to progressively upgrade the earth leads to Apollo/Atlantis. If I remember correctly Roy Gregory in his review found the copper earth cables worked particularly well with his amps and again if I remember correctly it was a Tone audio review.
In all I have 15 ground cables connected to my two silver Tellus, both of which are connected to the Atlantis ground box, so very nearly at the full capacity of 16.The ground boxes also benefit from being mounted on Stillpoints.
Hope that is helpful.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
PS
If you are disconnecting an RCA earth cable hold the cable itself firmly in one hand between finger and thumb and use the other hand to remove the cable from its RCA socket to avoid any strain on the cable plug connection.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
P
The UK Entreq distributor has connected all my sources and amplifier using the RCA sockets including the phono stage but not the turntable itself.
I use Entreq cabling for signal i/cs so they are connected separately to one of my two silver Tellus and the speaker cables are connected to a silver Minimus.
I have never felt the need to make chassis connection in addition preferring to progressively upgrade the earth leads to Apollo/Atlantis. If I remember correctly Roy Gregory in his review found the copper earth cables worked particularly well with his amps and again if I remember correctly it was a Tone audio review.
In all I have 15 ground cables connected to my two silver Tellus, both of which are connected to the Atlantis ground box, so very nearly at the full capacity of 16.The ground boxes also benefit from being mounted on Stillpoints.
Hope that is helpful.

So the Atlantis ground box that you have both silver tellus' plugged into is just adding more grounding material capacity ? If the Atlantis cannot be used like a tellus stand alone, what is it's purpose ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
P

So the Atlantis ground box that you have both silver tellus' plugged into is just adding more grounding material capacity ? If the Atlantis cannot be used like a tellus stand alone, what is it's purpose ?

The Atlantis connects to the Silver Tellus grounding box to enhance its material capacity. Basically as I understand Entreq did not wish to abandon their existing Silver Tellus customers...so rather than create a whole new grounding box 2x as big...they create an add-on box to double the capacity of the original one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing