Entreq Tellus grounding

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Entreq is not very public about how their boxes are designed except that they contain various types of metals and minerals. The article in hifiplus describes very well what I mean, and I respect the CAD company as a very serious player in the hifi business. CAD and Entreq are doing very similar products, and both have upgraded their lines in recent years. CAD certainly looks better, but I cant say which is the superior.
Connecting the ground pin in a wall outlet to a gounding box is probably similar to gounding the chassis of an amplifier. They are both part of the safety ground. But I dont mix safety ground and signal ground (e.g. the negative poles of the power amplifier) in one gounding box. I dont think that is advisable. I use both signal grounding and safety ground grounding (if you can put it that way) in my system. Signal grounding gives the best result, no question.
CAD and Entreq have different philosophies when it comes to signal grounding. CAD does not recommend gounding the loudspeaker negative poles of the amplifier. Entreq do recommend this. CAD prefers signal gounding at the sources (XLR, USB etc). Entreq also recommend gounding the sources along with the amplifiers negative speaker poles.
I have tried both and I think signal grounding the amplier gives a better result than signal grounding at the sources. Groundíng both amplifier and sources is probably the best. I havent done that -- I dont have enough boxes.
But I understand the CAD position -- gounding the amplifiers speaker connectors can be hazardous. In my opinion you need two separate gounding boxes -- one for each negative pole. Some amplifier can possibly be connected to the same box on both negative poles, but its hard to know what applies to a specific amplifier. Using two boxes should be safe.
This begs the question where it noise is coming from and which component is the most sensitive to high frequency noise. Noise on the live and neutral lines of the power cables is definitely detrimental. In my experience it reduces the speakers bandwidth --both bass and high frequency of the music. This can be dealt with if you have a power filter like Gigawatt.
Signal grounding has a similar effect -- it expands the bass -- but above all I get a lot more dynamics -- especialy microdynamics with signal grounding. This translates into a lot more space and natural sounding voices in the music.
Grounding the safety ground seems to lower the noise level -- I dont hear much changes in the nature of the sound.
So which component is the most sensitive? Im not sure, but I think the loudspeaker is a good candidate. As to the worse source of noise I think the power line is the worse offender. Regular power lines are perfect antennas in a completely toxic high frequency environment. Measurements in Stockholm have disclosed dangerous levels of 5G microwaves in the city center and with the new WiFi7 opening up new 6GHz bands it will only get worse.
Thanks Gotland.
I have no experience of CAD but have used Entreq extensively for many years.
My amplifier (Vitus 030 and the preceding 025) have the negative speaker grounding with Apollo
Infinity grounding cables and speaker cables.
Distinctly audible improvement with both so I can strongly recommend this application

vert

Oct 26, 2015
In my System, and this is important because maybe in other systems things may be different, they have not worked for me: the cables with RJ45 connector to Router or Switch, the connections with Spade connector to the chassis screws of the LPS that feed My Router or Switch and I even ended up removing the connections to the negative terminals of the amplifier. In all these cases there was always a feeling of initial improvement with greater resolution, but in the medium term I realized that the sound was tiring and that was unacceptable.
This is a genuine insight.

You are absolutely right, I had an Apollo RJ45 grounding cable for my router.

After I took it off, the sound became less bright and aggressive.

Gotland

Oct 5, 2023
Sweden
The only connection that did make a difference was when I connected the chassis ground of a AQVox SE switch to an Entreq box.
Did you use the Entreq box on the chassis only, or did you ever try signal grounding? With signal grounding I mean the negative poles of the power amplifier or the XLR or RJ45 etc. connectors of a source? Using Entreq for the safety ground or chassis did not give as much impact on the music as signal grounding in my system.
The most probable reason why grounding boxes work is because they are draining high-frequency noise, and the level of noise will of course vary from system to system. Anzus has a very good (or extremly good) soultion for the power line, and I think the same kind of coils are implemented in Aaviks new amplifiers to drain airborne noise and other noise, with a lot cleaner sound as a result. So there are many possible solutions of this problem.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I sent this question to Entreq but never received a reply. Not very good customer service...

Question:
Is it ok to place the Entreq Silver Tellus on its face so that the grounding lugs are up in the air?

ozzy

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Question:
Is it ok to place the Entreq Silver Tellus on its face so that the grounding lugs are up in the air?
Ozzy, I've done it no problem but the dealer told me that best SQ is achieved where the boat sits horizontally in the ground.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
frankie67,
Thanks for the help. I guess that whatever is inside maybe distributes more evenly when horizontal?

ozzy

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing