Entreq Tellus grounding

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Congratulations Maragoo.
Quite a result and I'm sure more to come with the Infinity version.
I'm not really best qualified to answer your question as I use an Audience Aspect 8 passive power conditioner which predates my Entreq purchases and I have not felt any need to change it. That said the Aspect certainly benefits my system and I would expect the Silver Cleanus passive power conditioner to similarly benefit your system. Its role is different from the ground boxes and earth cables so if the priority is to deal with dirty mains supply it should be the better option.
As I have said before the negative speaker terminal grounding has been one of my most successful Entreq applications but if you have a problem with a dirty mains supply the Silver Cleanus would seem a better bet.
I hope the Entreq journey continues to go well for you,

Maragoo

Nov 3, 2017
I‘ve got an answer from PO concerning Silver Cleanus vs Eartha Schuko/groundbox.

The Silver Cleanus is better but it‘s not a huge difference. When using Eartha Schuko you have to connect it to one of the bigger boxes like Tellus or Silver Tellus. Also you should not use it to ground any other items as there will much high frequency dirt in. When upgrading to Poseidon it‘s a common way to keep Tellus or Silver Tellus for clean the wall socket (see also feedback from Tom Edwards on page 257)

Tom Edwards

Nov 5, 2017
United Kingdom
As stated in my earlier post, I used my Silver Tellus for connecting to the mains because I didn't want to lose money in selling it,as it's only a year old. If I hadn't had this I would have definitely tried a Silver Cleanus. I was looking for as much effectiveness as possible hence adding the Atlantis Tellus which certainly doubled the effect. Would I try a silver Cleanus now? Not personally. As is always the case YMMV. Suppose anyone looking to boost performance of Silver Tellus on the mains could add an Atlantis Minimus to each connection. I was interested in an Olympus Tellus but it was just too big for my single source system.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, I thought twice before leaving this post.
I started the Entreq snowball that has rolled on to nearly reach 260 pages, ably taken on by Barry2013 et al.
Four years ago Entreq made a pretty critical difference in my London apartment system, enhancing texture and spatial cues, and going a long way to ameliorating the defectiveness of my polluted mains and to some extent my hard, unforgiving room acoustics.
I went as far as Silver Tellus, 9 Apollos, Silver Cleanus w Olympus Mini.
Fast fwd 3 years and I’m in a totally different environment, much more acoustically calm and transparent, and power to the dedicated space altogether less adulterated with feed to audio room separate from the rest of the chapel, balanced power and dedicated lines.
On Day One it was interesting to note that there wasn’t a massive upstick putting the Entreq back in, some welcome warmth and dimensionality, but pretty moderate. I decided to keep it in, but this now feels like gilding the lily, not radical impvt as before.
6 months on, ie today, I decided to strip all the Entreq out, and to my surprise much prefer the sound sans Entreq.
What’s fascinating is that the change to going without Entreq is as dramatic as going to Entreq back in London.
I’m really not sure what to make of all of this.
As I say, I did think twice about posting these words, I hate to be a bad party guest.
But I also feel it’s the right thing to do, and I don’t ever want to be thought of as an uncritical schill or easily swayed.
And despite my poor experience here, I know how great Entreq was in my London space, and how many including Barry here swear by Entreq positives.
But this is as dramatic an example of YMMV as I’ve experienced.
Paralleled by my poor experience of Shun Mook Diamond Resonators here which were stellar in London.

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I started the Entreq snowball that has rolled on to nearly reach 260 pages, ably taken on by Barry2013 et al.
Four years ago Entreq made a pretty critical difference in my London apartment system, enhancing texture and spatial cues, and going a long way to ameliorating the defectiveness of my polluted mains and to some extent my hard, unforgiving room acoustics.
Fast fwd 3 years and I’m in a totally different environment, much more acoustically calm and transparent, and power to the dedicated space altogether less adulterated with feed to audio room separate from the rest of the chapel, balanced power and dedicated lines.
On Day One it was interesting to note that there wasn’t a massive upstick putting the Entreq back in, some welcome warmth and dimensionality, but pretty moderate. I decided to keep it in, but this now feels like gilding the lily, not radical impvt as before.
6 months on, ie today, I decided to strip all the Entreq out, and to my surprise much prefer the sound sans Entreq.
What’s fascinating is that the change to going without Entreq is as dramatic as going to Entreq back in London.
As I say, I did think twice about posting these words, I hate to be a bad party guest.
But I also feel it’s the right thing to do, and I don’t ever want to be thought of as an uncritical schill or easily swayed.
And despite my poor experience here, I know how great Entreq was in my London space, and how many including Barry here swear by Entreq positives.
Paralleled by my poor experience of Shun Mook Diamond Resonators here which were stellar in London.

Strike while this is fresh in your memory and sell the Entreqs and Mooks, you may have enough for that SGM/Aqua Formula you've been hankering after

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, I’ll need to get 300-400% back on my investment for that to happen
Not v likely

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Fascinating. It takes courage to write something like this, but take comfort, most of us have been there. I remember reading the comments of many going down the rabbit hole of some well known tweaks and cables, only to have a change of heart after long term listening, change of environment, change of gear, etc. Myself included. In fact, it's even more tragic than that sometimes. How many times have we put something in place and spent the evening singing its praise, only to listen the next day and exclaim "what the hell was I thinking"? To err is human, to be an audiophile is divine.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) 6 months on, ie today, I decided to strip all the Entreq out, and to my surprise much prefer the sound sans Entreq. (...)

It would be great if you could give us some details on which aspects you preferred without Entreq and the recordings you used.

And remember we often change opinions after a few days!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Entreq is not plug and play.

I moved my Silver Tellus away from my sources because the Tripoint Elite overshadowed what it had been doing there, and it was no longer effective.

now it's over with my Studers and has had a positive effect there. and this is something I've already posted about.

with my amps I have both the Entreq Poseidon w/3 Atlantic Minimus's and the Tripoint Troy Signature. when I moved the Troy Signature to the amps 6 weeks ago I tried the grounding cable from the bass amps to the Troy instead of the Posteidon-Atlantic Minimus, thinking it would be better. wrong! I had to move it back as I lost some of my bass definition. why? don't know. I also posted about that earlier.

so Marc, I don't doubt what you are saying, but what I read is you have not found a home for your Entreq in your new room that helps.....and maybe you won't. is there a higher truth to that? who knows? are things at an overall optimal point in the new room where the Entreq can be effectively implemented?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Listen guys, I’m really not going to say too much more.
This is an Entreq thread for positive experiences.
And tbh, I’m flummoxed by my final conclusion.
As anyone can understand after my run ins w Keith and the infamous “KittyLitterGate” debacle.
My conclusion for what it’s worth, is that all these tweaks and system enhancements, are highly system, room, environment and listener dependent.
And some tweaks may fight each other.
All I know is my polluted mains and highly aggressive hard and reflective previous room really benefitted from the textured sound Entreq helped with, enhancing spatial cues and moderating flatness.
Taken further by the warm lower mids enriching Shun Mooks.
Now I’m in a room that is neutral and intelligible with seriously quiet power, low impedance, and the system sounded great “out of the box”.
Entreq on Day One just seemed marginal in effect, Mooks totally negative.
And 6 months on, the ultimate a/b for Entreq didn’t work out positively.
But, that’s just me, just my room.
Now my improvements are coming more from the isolation/vibration side of things, this is where my bang for my buck is happening, not grounding.

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
Tweaks don't work everywhere. My acoustic revive RR 888 works very well at home improving depht and don't work in a high end system where I tried it.
For entreq 2 minimus on the negative output of my amps are easily heard for the best.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Gilles, that’s about it.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thank you Marc for starting this thread and all your contributions to it.
Thank you also for your honourable mention.
As you say I am very happy with my Entreq set up but if it's not doing it for you in your new set up so be it
One. and one reservation only, which is I'm not sure if you got round to trying the negative speaker terminal grounding which seems to have been a universal success in other rooms and systems.
Best wishes
Barry

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I did, and it just didn’t do it for me.
And that was back in London where Entreq was much more compelling. I never got on w Atlantis cbls either.
I’m convinced this is a room acoustics/mains/environment/synergy issue, not “does Entreq work, or doesn’t it?”.
My new space is much more conducive to treating vibration isolation than grid/component borne noise, and with other tweaks lowering the noise flr like upgraded pwr cords, audiophile fuses, isolated power to space, balanced power, dedicated lines and Furutech duplexes, the role of Entreq helping here has been severely diminished.

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
I tried grounding the negative posts of my power amp using Poseidon. Grounding only right channel has a positive effective, I really like the improvement it made. But ground both channels has a negative effect. May be only my old stereo power amp circuit is not suitable to ground both channels.

At the beginning I only had one ground cable, so I tried grounding one channel. I have listened for a week. Finally I ground both channels. I just think it is a down grade.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I tried grounding the negative posts of my power amp using Poseidon. Grounding only right channel has a positive effective, I really like the improvement it made. But ground both channels has a negative effect. May be only my old stereo power amp circuit is not suitable to ground both channels.

At the beginning I only had one ground cable, so I tried grounding one channel. I have listened for a week. Finally I ground both channels. I just think it is a down grade.

it's potentially a little tricky to do this effectively. you have likely already considered these variables; but just wanted to mention these in case it might be helpful.

depending on how your speaker terminals work, you may need to use a washer to shim the positive side of the speaker terminal so they tighten evenly......on my Cardas posts it was important. it's also important to make sure that the speaker cable spade is on the inside of the connection, and not the outside within the terminal. and also that the 2 ground cables used are identical in type and length.

and obviously if you only do one side, there will be negative aspects of imagining and frequency response if both sides are not mechanically identical.

however; every system is different. it most definitely paid dividends in my system. although I got a good benefit with the Poseidon only, when I added the 2 Atlantic Minimus units that jumped up the boost pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raizen

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I did, and it just didn’t do it for me.
And that was back in London where Entreq was much more compelling. I never got on w Atlantis cbls either.
I’m convinced this is a room acoustics/mains/environment/synergy issue, not “does Entreq work, or doesn’t it?”.
My new space is much more conducive to treating vibration isolation than grid/component borne noise, and with other tweaks lowering the noise flr like upgraded pwr cords, audiophile fuses, isolated power to space, balanced power, dedicated lines and Furutech duplexes, the role of Entreq helping here has been severely diminished.

These boxes work by means of a piezo electric effect. Which means theyre very vibration sensitive. Correct me if I’m wrong but isnt your system located on a wooden floor now? This may very well saturate your entreq box by means of relatively large low frequency waves typically being present in your flooring system. The lower / stronger the frequencies present, the easier it is to “saturate” your box. You could try a stacore underneath your entreq box to verify if this is the cause.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good point
I can put the Entreq on my Symposium rack and see what happens.
But my Entreq was also on the flr in London, so not much has changed.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Well you can’t really know that without measuring the floor “activity” :)

to add to Taiko's comments, in my system the Entreq Poseidon + Atlantic Minimus combo was 'tipped up' and 'edgy' sounding until I added the Wave Kinetics A10 U8's. and that's on 6 inches of concrete. so quite revealing of it's support.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing