Entreq Tellus grounding

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Francisco

Mate, good on you getting Paolo's Poseidon; the best dressed guy get's the girl ;)

Can't go into it just now, but P-O gave me a call from Sweden today and will sort something out with my Tellus 2 & Infinity Cables (now that's customer service for you :D).

Haven't had a chance to properly hear what the Entreq gear does to my system, but as a Company top notch service :b

Good service indeed! Let us know how it all works out. Meanwhile looking at your last photo of the hook, is it not possible to put it flat down over the binding post and have the main contact occur when you screw the binding post down flat against it? The photo makes it look like the main contact is the end of the hook touching the middle of the binding post. How about the entire side of the hook touching the inner front/back of the binding post?

Also, i think if you hook it over the binding post, you can 'crimp' the hook more tightly against the binding post to make better contact and also to make the hook take up less room.

perhaps my suggestion wont work, but it seems from the photo it could work.

Celts88

Feb 15, 2018
Perth, Australia
Also, i think if you hook it over the binding post, you can 'crimp' the hook more tightly against the binding post to make better contact and also to make the hook take up less room.

Unfortunately due to the length of the hook when I lift it up to put over the binding post the lower section of the cable is thicker and can't go between the binding post. Even if I put the hook in sideways, when I twist it there still isn't enough space between the binding posts to twist it before it slides down into the gap of the binding post.

P-O says the new Infinity cables also come as hook-to-spade, therefore keep new hook shape to attach onto the ground box, and spade end to my Devialet with tight spacing binding posts (P-O says he can sort this out for me also).

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Unfortunately due to the length of the hook when I lift it up to put over the binding post the lower section of the cable is thicker and can't go between the binding post. Even if I put the hook in sideways, when I twist it there still isn't enough space between the binding posts to twist it before it slides down into the gap of the binding post.

P-O says the new Infinity cables also come as hook-to-spade, therefore keep new hook shape to attach onto the ground box, and spade end to my Devialet with tight spacing binding posts (P-O says he can sort this out for me also).

Got it...hard to see from the photo. Sounds like P-O is looking after you which is absolutely great.

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
There is a new release of a flagship ground cable call Eartha Olympus Infinity. I saw the sell price in Hong Kong. About $300US more expensive than Atlantis Infinity.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I would like to share with you a "discovery" I made these days, after receiving my Poseidon. It's something that reaffirms me all the more in my belief that networks carry a huge amount of "crap" that spoils the sound.
I have the Router in the kitchen powered by an LPSU of Kenneth Lau. From the router I split an Audioquest Cinnamon cable to the AQvox Switch that is in the rack of my system in the living room of my house.
This Swtich is also connected to another LPSU of Kenneth Lau. It has been quite some time since the Switch is connected to a Silver Minimus box with an Eartha Apollo (now Infinity) with an RJ45 connector.
When the Poseidon arrived, the RJ45 Apollo, went to a pole of the latter. Well I said to myself, and if we try to make the Silver Minimus box to the router, even if it is making a cable of the type, RJ45 to Spade, with a generic network cable cat 5. Well I did not expect much, since I thought that the AQvox would filter what came from the router ....... I was absolutely surprised of the improvement, not only with Tidal, but with my own library, in this case the musical signal goes from Melco to direct Lumin. Truly amazing.
I think that network audio will improve a lot in the coming years, when more and more manufacturers take out noise reduction products.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
That is interesting.
I recently changed my AV amplifier to a Denon 4300H in order to take full advantage of the 4k tv and Sky Q satellite receiver and I'm very pleased with it. It is streaming capable but I haven't yet got round to exploring that and hope to do so shortly.
On Sunday evening I played a CD I have not played for a long time namely Earl Klugh Finger Painting and prior to probably two to three years of system and cable upgrades including a Poseidon and an Olympus Tellus. What a revelation!It now sounds tremendous with real tonal density, wide soundstage and so much more fidelity.
It's making me impatient to get my cables back from Entreq with the Infinity upgrades. Hopefully in about a week's time.

Celts88

Feb 15, 2018
Perth, Australia
Upgrade from Eartha to Infinity Cables - Costing

Sorry if this is easily found on the thread, but I've been searching through multiple posts and can't find any info on the costing for upgrading of existing Eartha Cables to Infinity. Appreciate the costing will be variable for different country's, and also dependent on which cable type is being upgraded, but a typical costing that people have been charged would be appreciated.

I read somewhere (can't remember if on this thread or another place) that a Copper Infinity cable would out perform an Apollo Eartha cable (find this hard to believe, but someone did state this). I have 2off Silver Infinity cables (hook-to-hook) and 2off Silver Eartha cables (spade-to-RCA) so the cables being attached to different points makes comparison impossible (Infinity's are being used to negative speaker terminals, and Eartha's to RCA outputs, all attached to my Devialet Amps).

I have to return my Silver Infinity cables due to the hook arrangement not being able to fit onto my Devialet speaker binding posts, and having this changed over to Spades. A couple of other queries:

1. Is it best to keep that hook for attachment to the ground box (Poseidon) or have spade connections for both ends (to Poseidon & Devialet speaker terminal).
  2. My dealer has some Apollo Eartha (spade-to-spade) cables I could upgrade to, but as the cables to swap are Silver Infinity is it best to get the same or change to Apollo Eartha (is comment above about Copper Infinity being better than Apollo Eartha all bulldust, or is the Infinity so much better, even for a lower cable type).
  3. Is it really worth having grounding for my Devialet amp speaker terminals, and also RCA grounding, both on the same amp.
  4. Should I forgo the RCA grounding on my Devialet Amps (keeping the grounding of negative speaker terminals) and use the middle connection of the Poseidon for another use, e.g. a) like Nonesuo before use it to connect to AVQX switch via switch ground or RG45, b) attach to my Antipodes music server via USB, c) attach to my Gigawatt Power Conditioner
Sorry for all the questions above, but any info is really appreciated.

Cheers
John

Last edited:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Yesterday afternoon my Poseidon arrived. I bought it from our partner Paolo, in a very easy and fast transaction.
top end with loss of digital edge without losing extension, full and textured media and improved bass.
But above all a feeling of not wanting to stop listening.
Really a great improvement, I am very, very happy.

Celts88 said:
Well done on getting the Poseidon. I had actually corresponded with Paolo about it, and he was doing it for a great price, but the shipping costs to Australia are a fortune (35kg, yikes) which didn't help myself with overall cost (Paolo was great to deal with, even just as an enquiry).

Thank you for your kindly words guys!!!!
Francisco, I'm very happy to know that you like it. As Barry said, I told you!!!!!
I still have one Poseidon which I use for negative terminals of my amplifier, and that I consider as one of my system's milestone.

IMG_9929-30.jpg

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Sorry if this is easily found on the thread, but I've been searching through multiple posts and can't find any info on the costing for upgrading of existing Eartha Cables to Infinity. Appreciate the costing will be variable for different country's, and also dependent on which cable type is being upgraded, but a typical costing that people have been charged would be appreciated.

I read somewhere (can't remember if on this thread or another place) that a Copper Infinity cable would out perform an Apollo Eartha cable (find this hard to believe, but someone did state this). I have 2off Silver Infinity cables (hook-to-hook) and 2off Silver Eartha cables (spade-to-RCA) so the cables being attached to different points makes comparison impossible (Infinity's are being used to negative speaker terminals, and Eartha's to RCA outputs, all attached to my Devialet Amps).

I have to return my Silver Infinity cables due to the hook arrangement not being able to fit onto my Devialet speaker binding posts, and having this changed over to Spades. A couple of other queries:

1. Is it best to keep that hook for attachment to the ground box (Poseidon) or have spade connections for both ends (to Poseidon & Devialet speaker terminal).
  2. My dealer has some Apollo Eartha (spade-to-spade) cables I could upgrade to, but as the cables to swap are Silver Infinity is it best to get the same or change to Apollo Eartha (is comment above about Copper Infinity being better than Apollo Eartha all bulldust, or is the Infinity so much better, even for a lower cable type).
  3. Is it really worth having grounding for my Devialet amp speaker terminals, and also RCA grounding, both on the same amp.
  4. Should I forgo the RCA grounding on my Devialet Amps (keeping the grounding of negative speaker terminals) and use the middle connection of the Poseidon for another use, e.g. a) like Nonesuo before use it to connect to AVQX switch via switch ground or RG45, b) attach to my Antipodes music server via USB, c) attach to my Gigawatt Power Conditioner
Sorry for all the questions above, but any info is really appreciated.

Cheers
John

Hi John
The closest formula to work with on Infinity cable upgrade is 20% of the original retail price plus the difference in price between the original cable and the new Infinity version. Postage cost of sending it back with the customer. Hope that helps and is clear enough.
I have heard similar stories on Infinity cables compared to their more expensive originals from sources I can trust but I have no personal experience.
I doubt that there is any difference soundwise between the hook and spades but my feeling is the hook is more user friendly.
Re Apollo/Silver Infinity I haven't heard a comparison but I have always been a big fan of the Apollos which I think are the sweetspot of the range. The Apollo earths have worked very well in my system including with the Poseidon. Am awaiting the return of an Infinity upgrade to the two Atlantis earths I use for negative speaker terminal grounding and an Apollo earth to the amp which I use on my Poseidon. So on your third question definitely yes IME and which I am sure others will confirm. Amps tend to generate a fair bit of noise so in my book grounding the amp is a very high priority.I'm not streaming at the moment but I doubt it should take priority over the amp and I have had reports that Devialet amps benefit a lot from Entreq grounding.
Hope that is helpful
Barry

Celts88

Feb 15, 2018
Perth, Australia
Hi John
The closest formula to work with on Infinity cable upgrade is 20% of the original retail price plus the difference in price between the original cable and the new Infinity version. Postage cost of sending it back with the customer. Hope that helps and is clear enough.
I have heard similar stories on Infinity cables compared to their more expensive originals from sources I can trust but I have no personal experience.
I doubt that there is any difference soundwise between the hook and spades but my feeling is the hook is more user friendly.
Re Apollo/Silver Infinity I haven't heard a comparison but I have always been a big fan of the Apollos which I think are the sweetspot of the range. The Apollo earths have worked very well in my system including with the Poseidon. Am awaiting the return of an Infinity upgrade to the two Atlantis earths I use for negative speaker terminal grounding and an Apollo earth to the amp which I use on my Poseidon. So on your third question definitely yes IME and which I am sure others will confirm. Amps tend to generate a fair bit of noise so in my book grounding the amp is a very high priority.I'm not streaming at the moment but I doubt it should take priority over the amp and I have had reports that Devialet amps benefit a lot from Entreq grounding.
Hope that is helpful
Barry

Barry

Really appreciate your reply.

As our Australian distributor only carry's limited stock he's still only got Eartha cables for sale (he's waiting until he goes through his old stock before getting the new Infinity cables into stock). Will probably be a big cost difference as at present he's giving a 40% discount on the old Eartha stock, and what with the new RRP price for the Infinity cables going to start as full RRP plus shipping cost for return of cables it's going to be expensive to upgrade for the new Infinity cables (at least here in Aus it is for us). I only got lucky on the pair of Silver Infinity cables as he quoted me cost for the full package (Tellus 2, 4 Silver cables 2 x spade & 2 x RCA, and an Everest), but then realised he on only had the one Silver spade-to-spade in stock so got me a pair of Silver Infinity for the same package deal cost.

1) So it may be true that a lower model cable in the Infinity range will be superior SQ wise to a higher cable model type in the old Eartha range. Essentially it would make sense for me to keep the Silver Infinity cables, rather than change these to the old model Apollo Eartha cables.
2) Hook or Spade same SQ, just ease of use better with hook - unless can't get between speaker binding posts then spade is better (i my case for my Devialet Amps)
3) Apollo or Silver cables, it's just going to come down to money (bummer that always get's in the way :p). I've went out on a limb getting the Entreq gear so the jump in cost form Silver to Apollo will end up being too rich for me (it's nearly double the cost from Silver to Apollo here in Aus and I would need to change 4 cables).
4) Ok, so best to keep using the 2 outer chambers for Silver Infinity cable to the negative speaker terminals of my pair of Devialets, and a pair of Silver Eartha joined from middle chamber to an RCA output on each of my Devialets amps.

I'm thinking of adding a K2 or Everest to the middle chamber connection of the Poseidon as a boost due to it having to have the 2 Silver Eartha cables connected to the one chamber. Do you think the K2 or Everest would be a worthwhile cost for the SQ boost it could give the middle chamber?

Really appreciate your reply, and lots of reading through this loooooong thread has really helped also :D

Cheers
John

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi John
Glad that was helpful.
The Everests are good but at about £240 are not cheap. Might be better to spend a similar amount on an Infinity cable upgrade.
Good luck with what you decide!
Kind regards
Barry

Celts88

Feb 15, 2018
Perth, Australia
Barry

So you think best to put money from Everest and use for Infinity cables. Only reason to ask as using 2 cables on the one connection would need double cost to upgrade cables, but single Everest could help boost SQ (fyi can get Everest for £200 and K2 for £150 via Aus distributor).

Cheers
John

PS Is there a reason why cables connect to negative speaker terminals of amp, and not the positive (as long as keeping both the same). Only asking as could get hook connection onto my Devialet positive speaker terminals, but not to negative terminals (will need to change to Spades, unless I want to bend the hook straight :p)

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Thank you for your kindly words guys!!!!
Francisco, I'm very happy to know that you like it. As Barry said, I told you!!!!!
I still have one Poseidon which I use for negative terminals of my amplifier, and that I consider as one of my system's milestone.

View attachment 39342
Well I've been praying for a week every night, because Paolo decides to buy, for example, an Olympus and put on sale his second Poseidon .........;);)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry

So you think best to put money from Everest and use for Infinity cables. Only reason to ask as using 2 cables on the one connection would need double cost to upgrade cables, but single Everest could help boost SQ (fyi can get Everest for £200 and K2 for £150 via Aus distributor).

Cheers
John

PS Is there a reason why cables connect to negative speaker terminals of amp, and not the positive (as long as keeping both the same). Only asking as could get hook connection onto my Devialet positive speaker terminals, but not to negative terminals (will need to change to Spades, unless I want to bend the hook straight :p)

Thanks John
I reckon the Infinity upgrade would be more effective particularly if you can stretch to the 2 amp earth cables
I'm no techie but as I understand it its dangerous to use the positive terminals and would damage your amp. From memory the Entreq guide on their site is very clear on this.
Kind regards
Barry

Celts88

Feb 15, 2018
Perth, Australia
Thanks John
I reckon the Infinity upgrade would be more effective particularly if you can stretch to the 2 amp earth cables

Kind regards
Barry

Barry

Ok mate, going with the Infinity Apollo upgrade for all 4 cables (2 x Spade-to-Spade for speaker -ve terminals, and 2 x Spade-to-RCA for amp grounding). Australian distributor doing me a good deal on upgrading all 4 cables, so thought why not it's only money :)

Cheers
John

PS Anyone from down under, if you're looking for gear get in touch with Cameron (Krispy Audio), the Australian Distributor for Entreq. First time I've ever dealt with him, but he's been 1st class and really went out of his way to sort things out for me (also to add PO, Entreq owner, has been an absolute gentleman to deal with, and his one-on-one approach is something not always seen very often these days).

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry

Ok mate, going with the Infinity Apollo upgrade for all 4 cables (2 x Spade-to-Spade for speaker -ve terminals, and 2 x Spade-to-RCA for amp grounding). Australian distributor doing me a good deal on upgrading all 4 cables, so thought why not it's only money :)

Cheers
John

PS Anyone from down under, if you're looking for gear get in touch with Cameron (Krispy Audio), the Australian Distributor for Entreq. First time I've ever dealt with him, but he's been 1st class and really went out of his way to sort things out for me (also to add PO, Entreq owner, has been an absolute gentleman to deal with, and his one-on-one approach is something not always seen very often these days).

John.
Thanks for the update.
I am sure you have made the right choice.
Do keep us posted and let us know how it goes once the new cables are up and running.
It's good when you find a dealer who is so helpful and your experiences with Per at Entreq bear out my own and many others experience.
Will look forward to hearing more.
Kind regards,
Barry

Celts88

Feb 15, 2018
Perth, Australia
Barry

Not expecting to get the Poseidon & Apollo cables for at least another 3-4 weeks (by the time the package leaves Sweden, get's to the Aus distributor in Sydney, then has to be repacked and sent to Perth, then will be ages before I see them).

As I'm upgrading from Tellus 2 & Silver cables to Poseidon & Apollo Infinity cables then thinking of giving the Everest or K2's a miss. Yes, they may well add to the SQ, but I must be going to get a good jump in SQ with the P & A upgrades. I suppose I could try them at another time, but with the upgrade costing double what I originally paid for the T2 & S's then might have to wait.

Cheers
John

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry

Not expecting to get the Poseidon & Apollo cables for at least another 3-4 weeks (by the time the package leaves Sweden, get's to the Aus distributor in Sydney, then has to be repacked and sent to Perth, then will be ages before I see them).

As I'm upgrading from Tellus 2 & Silver cables to Poseidon & Apollo Infinity cables then thinking of giving the Everest or K2's a miss. Yes, they may well add to the SQ, but I must be going to get a good jump in SQ with the P & A upgrades. I suppose I could try them at another time, but with the upgrade costing double what I originally paid for the T2 & S's then might have to wait.

Cheers
John

John
Poseidon and the Infinity cables!
A great upgrade.
The Poseidon and negative speaker terminal grounding has been one of my best upgrades and others have reported similar results so together with the Infinity cables you should get a really big improvement in sound quality.
Will look forward to hearing more.
Kind regards
Barry

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
When I received my Poseidon, I connected to the central post, an Eartha Apollo Infinity RJ45 that in turn connected to the AQvox Switch. The result was very satisfactory and certainly superior to the connection to a Silver Minimus.
Well to further improve the ground connection of the switch, I bought an Eartha Apollo Infinity with Schuko connector and connected it to the same central pole of the Poseidon and the Shuko to a free receptacle (HC) in my Shunyata Denali. The result was not good. A lot of clarity and dynamics, but too much brightness, bright and unmusical sound. When I was about to consider that the purchase had been a mistake, it occurred to me to connect the schuko in a free receptacle on the wall, instead of in the Denali, and the result was much, much better. The clarity of the sound was maintained but without shining stridency, with musicality.
Finally I do not know if anyone has any idea why this is so, but this comfirma that in this hobby you do not have to give anything of course.
On the other hand, since the connection of the Router to a Silver minimus with a RJ45 cable manufactured by me, gave me a clear improvement, I decided that the logical thing was to replace this cable with an Eartha Apollo Infinity.
What at the end I thought was to pass the Apollo from the Switch to the Router and for the Switch, I ordered an Atlantis and an Olympus to see which I like more in my system. I will comment the result when they arrive and try them.

Maragoo

Nov 3, 2017
When I received my Poseidon, I connected to the central post, an Eartha Apollo Infinity RJ45 that in turn connected to the AQvox Switch. The result was very satisfactory and certainly superior to the connection to a Silver Minimus.
Well to further improve the ground connection of the switch, I bought an Eartha Apollo Infinity with Schuko connector and connected it to the same central pole of the Poseidon and the Shuko to a free receptacle (HC) in my Shunyata Denali. The result was not good.

PO not recommends to share the post with another grounding when using it for power outlet grounding with spade/Shuko cable. There is so much noise and dirt in the power that this grounding should be done by a single post or seperated Silver Tellus doing only this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing