nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I'm glad that we both agree on that.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have a balanced Equi=tech 10WQ wall panel/isolation transformer with a dedicated ground rod for my dedicated room (in a barn separate from my house).

and use an Entreq Poseidon and three Silver Minimus booster boxes for grounding (1) negative speaker terminals on my amps, and (2) my bass tower amps. I use an Entreq Silver Tellus for my 3 Studer A-820 tape decks and my King Cello tape repro output electronics.

I also use a Tripoint Elite grounding box on my sources and a Tripoint Troy Signature grounding box on my amp chassis.

the Entreq is not connected to my AC power grid ground, but my Tripoint boxes are.

these products improve performance, as does my Equi=tech isolation transformer. first came the Equi=tech, then the Tripoint Troy Sig, then the Entreq Boxes, and then the Tripoint Elite. each step was an improvement to the overall musical performance.

my system has a remarkably low noise floor and startling dynamic life; my electronics seem to flourish in this environment.

Thanks Mike for your reply!

I have to say that I have enjoyed reading about your amplifier experiments elsewhere on the forum.

I guess I am trying to understand how these products can improve on a dedicated earth. The Entreq website talks about improving compromised earth arrangements. Is this something to do with absorbing RFI?

I have a 5KVA Topaz isolation transformer and a dedicated earth for my system. I have always found power conditioners, filters and regenerators to be detrimental.

Cheers

David

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike for your reply!

I have to say that I have enjoyed reading about your amplifier experiments elsewhere on the forum.

I guess I am trying to understand how these products can improve on a dedicated earth. The Entreq website talks about improving compromised earth arrangements. Is this something to do with absorbing RFI?

I have a 5KVA Topaz isolation transformer and a dedicated earth for my system. I have always found power conditioners, filters and regenerators to be detrimental.

Cheers

David

hi David,

thanks for the kind comments.

my Equi=tech, or course, provides the same type thing that your Topaz unit provides.

and I agree that once you fix the power grid source with a big boy isolation transformer; one does not need power conditioners, filters, and regenerators.

certainly the Tripoint and Entreq products I use, do none of those dastardly things. none of them carry any current. i don't see them as filtering, conditioning, or regenerating. these products seem to add performance to the power supplies of my electronics. and without trying to be flippant; honestly i don't care very much about how. i simply enjoy them doing it.

Mike

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
hi David,

thanks for the kind comments.

my Equi=tech, or course, provides the same type thing that your Topaz unit provides.

and I agree that once you fix the power grid source with a big boy isolation transformer; one does not need power conditioners, filters, and regenerators.

certainly the Tripoint and Entreq products I use, do none of those dastardly things. none of them carry any current. i don't see them as filtering, conditioning, or regenerating. these products seem to add performance to the power supplies of my electronics. and without trying to be flippant; honestly i don't care very much about how. i simply enjoy them doing it.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I totally understand your approach - it works, your hear it, so how it does it is irrelevant.

There is much in audio, where I do the same - I know what I want, and I will use anything that will get me there.

Sometimes though, I do get intrigued as to what is going on :).

OK, so these devices are connected to the earth on each device?

Would you describe the benefits of the devices as lower noise, without a loss of dynamics or change in tonality?

Thanks

David

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) my Equi=tech, or course, provides the same type thing that your Topaz unit provides. (...)
Mike

Mike,

IMHO, particularly considering that you reside in the US and David in Australia, having very different mains systems, it is hard to accept such general assumption.

The main technical objectives of the two units - the Equitech and Topaz are very different - the only thing they share is being transformers. :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

IMHO, particularly considering that you reside in the US and David in Australia, having very different mains systems, it is hard to accept such general assumption.

The main technical objectives of the two units - the Equitech and Topaz are very different - the only thing they share is being transformers. :)

disagree.

both approaches are essentially the 'heavy lifters' of the power grid in each system using transformers to isolate from outside noise; they have the same intentions while method has variances. all I said was that they do "the same type thing".

and in both situations it should minimize any need for other power grid treatment.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
disagree.

both approaches are essentially the 'heavy lifters' of the power grid in each system using transformers to isolate from outside noise; they have the same intentions while method has variances. all I said was that they do "the same type thing".

and in both situations it should minimize any need for other power grid treatment.

Ok, as long as you are debating mains in terms "heavy lifters" - yes, transformers are heavy.

Unfortunately this type of free nomenclature only spreads confusion and IMHO creates the perception that audiophiles are a bunch of snake oil consumers in readers with technical background.

I am sure that the Equi-tech people would not be happy reading your degrading of their excellent unit. IMHO there is no possible comparison between both units - if my system was resident in the US I would surely own an Equi-tech 10-WQ .

Coming back my main point is that using big isolation transformers does not imply we will do not need power conditioners, filters, and regenerators.

I have had a Topaz 7.5kva ultraisolator transformer in my system long ago - it came from an old computer center that was being sent to the waste. The US computer supplier specified it and did not accept european alternatives. Fortunately it come on wheels, it was really heavy. It did not improve the sound of my system, but at that time I had a shared earth pin.

Just to end, for Topaz users in Australia the quality of the earth pin is critical - not so much in your case. And it is not because they have kangaroos there! :D

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, as long as you are debating mains in terms "heavy lifters" - yes, transformers are heavy.

Unfortunately this type of free nomenclature only spreads confusion and IMHO creates the perception that audiophiles are a bunch of snake oil consumers in readers with technical background.

I am sure that the Equi-tech people would not be happy reading your degrading of their excellent unit. IMHO there is no possible comparison between both units - if my system was resident in the US I would surely own an Equi-tech 10-WQ .

Coming back my main point is that using big isolation transformers does not imply we will do not need power conditioners, filters, and regenerators.

I have had a Topaz 7.5kva ultraisolator transformer in my system long ago - it came from an old computer center that was being sent to the waste. The US computer supplier specified it and did not accept european alternatives. Fortunately it come on wheels, it was really heavy. It did not improve the sound of my system, but at that time I had a shared earth pin.

Just to end, for Topaz users in Australia the quality of the earth pin is critical - not so much in your case. And it is not because they have kangaroos there! :D

Hi Microstrip,

Like you I got the Topaz for free. I found that how it is wired up (phase orientation) had a big influence on the sound. Also, as you state, having a dedicated earth is a big improvement - mine is connected to the hot water service copper pipe which runs under the house.

cheers

David

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
Hi Mike,

I totally understand your approach - it works, your hear it, so how it does it is irrelevant.

There is much in audio, where I do the same - I know what I want, and I will use anything that will get me there.

Sometimes though, I do get intrigued as to what is going on :).

OK, so these devices are connected to the earth on each device?

Would you describe the benefits of the devices as lower noise, without a loss of dynamics or change in tonality?

Thanks

David

Hi David, using Entreq ground box not only "without a loss of dynamics". It does increase dynamic. Bass is much cleaner and can go lower. More details can be heard. Highs is much smoother.
Edmund

llsaw

Feb 25, 2016
Received my Entreq Eartha Infinity Apollo today as an upgrade to my "regular" Apollo. Straight out of the box the increase in background quietness and musical calmness and ease of flow allowing for increased separation and resolution were obvious. A very good upgrade considering the relatively small cost difference between an Eartha Apollo and Eartha Infinity Apollo. One could spend 7-10 times on cables to get a similar improvement. If you have a standard Eartha cable don't even consider the Infinity upgrade. Just do it!!!

Ricardo007

Nov 13, 2015
Nos ancêtres les Gaullois
One question for those of you who use both receivus and silber wraps for AC.
Which one of the 2 has greater impact since they target same EMI/RFI gremlins, for example on a PSU for amp or preamp ?
Richard

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I tried a Receivus and wasn't impressed and now use an Athena rack which I prefer.
I have not tried the wraps but those who have them say they are good. If I remember correctly there are now Infinity wraps which I am told are a good buy so I'm pretty sure the wraps would be more effective.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I guess it will depend on the system. I had Wrap, Mini Wrap and Mini Silver Wrap. I ended up retiring because the sound of it came back a bit hard.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
The same team that appears in my signature, only that I did not have Poseidon, but I had two Silver Minimus, which I think you know where they ended up ..... ;)

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
If you are interested, I have them available for sale.
9E1067F7-DC05-411D-B36C-144B812C57D5.jpg

Simone

Jun 16, 2017
with which eartha cable and entreq box did you connected the receivus?
you placed it on top of the transformer?

I use one dedicated Tellus Grounding Box and a Konstantin eartha cable. You can hear the difference with this inexpensive combination quite clearly.

Ricardo007

Nov 13, 2015
Nos ancêtres les Gaullois
wraps and receivus

Thanks Barry and Francisco
With what equipment and eartha cables/entreq boxes were you using them ?

To sum up it seems the wraps have a poor feedback from users (and are non existant on internet, except on line shops).
And that receivus can be interesting but a bigger ground plane is preferable as found on a rack like Athena

Will try to test each of these and report back

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing