Entreq Tellus grounding

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes, but you weren't clear about this in post#1736.

Not counting the ridiculously over priced grounding cables, it looks like you have over $25K invested in these magic dirt boxes.

Ever think about putting those funds toward better source equipment, speakers/subs or rewiring(AC) your home?

Thanks Dan.
Yes I wasn't as clear as I should have been in the earlier post and which caliorapolo commented on previously but no harm in emphasising the point as you did to help ensure the issue is clearly understood.
Leaving aside the issue of your comments on the price of the cables and the contents of the ground boxes, it's a valid point you raise about the efficacy of spending on grounding v better hardware and AC rewiring and Spirit has responded on that. So far as I am aware my mains quality is good and in addition all my audio equipment is connected to an Audience Aspect AR8 which I bought several years before any Entreq products. It seems to me to do a good job and all the reports I have read of it have been positive.
In making my buying decisions I have considered how the money should be spent and have tried to balance it between equipment upgrades, cables and grounding and on the whole I am satisfied with the decisions I made. Full details of my system can be found on my profile.For my 21x12 room it seems to me to be a good set of choices but envisage upgrading the DCS Puccini to Scarlatti Transport and DAC, or Rossini DAC at a future stage.
As Spirit commented the grounding investments have benefitted the whole system and improving upon the YG Kipod Signature passives does not strike me as easy without spending a substantial amount of money.
So that's my take on it but always happy to take onboard considered and constructive comments and suggestions.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Marc and good to hear from you.
The Poseidon is something else and well worth trying.
Good luck with the move. It's a big decision so right to take your time to find the optimum choice.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Thanks Dan.

As Spirit commented the grounding investments have benefitted the whole system and improving upon the YG Kipod Signature passives does not strike me as easy without spending a substantial amount of money.

Barry,

Thanks for your reply.

I suggest you listen to the Rockport Cygnus

spiritofmusic,

I guess you and the other Entreq fanboys can't deal with the fact that some people have excellent AC/ground connections, and the magic "dirt boxes" and over priced cables just don't do anything.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry,

Thanks for your reply.

I suggest you listen to the Rockport Cygnus

spiritofmusic,

I guess you and the other Entreq fanboys can't deal with the fact that some people have excellent AC/ground connections, and the magic "dirt boxes" and over priced cables just don't do anything.

Dan, I have a dedicated consumer unit and radial main running into a 200lb Westwick 8kVA balanced power transformer, a unit that is used at Abbey Road and Dave Gilmour's studio amongst others, and isn't far off the Equi=Tech 10kVA unit that Mike Lavigne runs. I have a dedicated feed off this going to Furutech US Rhodium sockets to accept my US plugged Sablon Gran Reserva power cords. So I have excellent AC/ground connections, you seem a little confused that I don't, I'm glad to put you straight. And those magic "dirt boxes" do plenty on top of the radical impvts already wrought by balanced power. But if they don't for you, great, you've certainly saved cash to be spent elsewhere.
I see you're a Devialet man, send a PM to Guillaume, he's Devialet'd and Entreq'd up to his neck!

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Don't even know if someone has the Olympus Tellus and compared it to the Silver Tellus or to the Poseidon. The latter seems to receive a consensus from the happy few who tried it.
Maybe in the whole Entreq products range it is the one to have regarding the convenience / cost / performance ratio ?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Don't even know if someone has the Olympus Tellus and compared it to the Silver Tellus or to the Poseidon. The latter seems to receive a consensus from the happy few who tried it.
Maybe in the whole Entreq products range it is the one to have regarding the convenience / cost / performance ratio ?

The Poseidon certainly exceeded my expectations and you may well be right that it is the one to have.
It will be interesting though to read a review of the Olympus Tellus. A lot of work went into its design and it would be surprising if that is not reflected in its performance.
We shall see in due course!

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia

Hi Cuntigh,
I had occasion to directly compare Silver Tellus vs Poseidon.
Assuming which Entreq's boxes are really system dependant, I found, in my system, Silver Tellus gaves more black ground and a little veiled, I mean, I was very happy with Silver Tellus untill Poseidon landed.
I didn't like the association of Silver Tellus coupled with Atlantis Eartha cables, contrary now with Poseidon I use them for both DAC and Reclocker.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Thank you for the feedback. Very curious to know if Olympus Tellus is better sounding than Poseidon if only one pre or another product in connected (why would someone would want to do such a thing except for testing /evaluating both beasts purely on SQ ?).
Reasonably the more grounding material the better ?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thank you for the feedback. Very curious to know if Olympus Tellus is better sounding than Poseidon if only one pre or another product in connected (why would someone would want to do such a thing except for testing /evaluating both beasts purely on SQ ?).
Reasonably the more grounding material the better ?

A very interesting question to which i do not have the answer.
The Olympus Tellus is significantly bigger than the the Poseidon, but it has 7 grounding posts and a mains facility. The Poseidon has three separate boxes in one so obviously the best choice for negative speaker terminal grounding on amps.
How the Olympus compares with the Poseidon for grounding sources is the currently unknown question until someone tries it and enlightens us.
Maybe someone in the Far East will be able to tell us!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Cuntigh,
I had occasion to directly compare Silver Tellus vs Poseidon.
Assuming which Entreq's boxes are really system dependant, I found, in my system, Silver Tellus gaves more black ground and a little veiled, I mean, I was very happy with Silver Tellus untill Poseidon landed.
I didn't like the association of Silver Tellus coupled with Atlantis Eartha cables, contrary now with Poseidon I use them for both DAC and Reclocker.

Thanks for that feedback Paolo.
It bears out other experiences and the need to audition different earth cables before deciding. Atlantis is obviously very good but it doesn't suit all systems and Apollos can be a better match for some.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Atlantis is obviously very good but it doesn't suit all systems and Apollos can be a better match for some.

In some cases even the Konstantin might be a better choice than the Apollo to give another example. The difference in character between cables is certainly there. The Apollo is detailed, resolving, calm image but if you want to add even more body to instruments and voices, the Konstantin should be considered as well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If you read my early posts on this thread, I got cumulative benefits grounding subsequent components to a total of 8, via Apollos back to a single S. Tellus. I temporarily tried adding an Atlantis box, and replacing Apollos w/Atlantis cables, but just didn't get on w/the results. A certain lightness and speed were sacrificed for a more dense and inert presentation. Interestingly, a similar effect was wrought by the S. Minimus amp -ve spkr terminal grounding. All these further options I turned down.
HOWEVER, adding a S. Cleanus plugged into my balanced power transformer, and grounding this unit via it's own O. Minimus, has been a triumph, seemingly clearing up a lot of hash in higher frequencies.
When my house move settles, I'll try the amp -ve spkr terminal grounding again via Poseidon, and since my setup has changed a lot since the original abortive Atlantis trial, I'll give this one last go. Thence onto O. Tellus.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
In some cases even the Konstantin might be a better choice than the Apollo to give another example. The difference in character between cables is certainly there. The Apollo is detailed, resolving, calm image but if you want to add even more body to instruments and voices, the Konstantin should be considered as well.

Yes agreed and the entry level copper cable can also be more suitable for some applications.

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
i tried the posidon with a few mixes of cables and found it to be not worth the bother. for 4k or for 1k tbh. was really thinking it would be good but did very very little. funny though when it was taken out my hifi sounded worse than befor though i switched off at the breaker for 30 mins and when i turned on my system again all was wonderful.

Interesting. Do you have any explanation for that?

By the way, I tried an all out assault with an Olympos Tellus on my four chassis Lamm pre, as well as the three chassis phono pre, grounding their respective 2 power supplie as well on their grounding posts. I had first measured the main units to ascertain that chassis ground was tied to signal ground. The result could not have been more clear: The music distorted terribly. At first I thought my cart had suddenly given up the ghost. Not so. I repented remorsefully and decided on a more careful less juvenile approach. I finally ended up with the main units of both the pre and the phono attached with Atlantis. The effect wasn't bad, but to tell the truth I was not bowled over.( I have star gounding for my system on dedicated lines ) Had also thought of trying the Poseidons, but your post and what I had experienced with the Olympus has put me off for now, especially because there is no dealer here where I live, so loans are not possible.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, YMMV big time on all this.
I live on the second flr of an inner London apartment block. This is a work/live building, so neighbours everywhere have Broadband on 16 hrs/day. There is light industry/generators/electro-machanical plant in operation all around, internet booster stations/sattellite dishes/aerials all about, and a railway line adjacent. My nominal 230V mains supply fluctuates +/- 10 to 15% every moment.
For me, dedicated consumer unit, radial main and 8kVA balanced power transformer have wrought massive benefits in the stability and low end foundation of the sound. And Entreq has managed a similarly impressive feat in the detail/air/texture side of things.

Fascinatingly, I'm due to move soon to the country, w/only a few neighbours, no live/work, no plant, no nothing in fact. And I'll be truly fascinated if all this stuff is rendered obsolete when I'm supplied w/much more unadulterated juice.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Spazmatron, just move on. It's of no use to you. Those people it helps, it helps big time. See it as proof your system is more immune to gremlins, or the gremlins aren't even there to begin at your's.
I should be so lucky, have shelled out £7k on the stuff LOL!

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
Well, YMMV big time on all this.
I live on the second flr of an inner London apartment block. This is a work/live building, so neighbours everywhere have Broadband on 16 hrs/day. There is light industry/generators/electro-machanical plant in operation all around, internet booster stations/sattellite dishes/aerials all about, and a railway line adjacent. My nominal 230V mains supply fluctuates +/- 10 to 15% every moment.
For me, dedicated consumer unit, radial main and 8kVA balanced power transformer have wrought massive benefits in the stability and low end foundation of the sound. And Entreq has managed a similarly impressive feat in the detail/air/texture side of things.

Fascinatingly, I'm due to move soon to the country, w/only a few neighbours, no live/work, no plant, no nothing in fact. And I'll be truly fascinated if all this stuff is rendered obsolete when I'm supplied w/much more unadulterated juice.

I wager, once you've made the move (good luck with it, by the way} that the thought of selling the Entreqs might even cross your mind, reason being I also live far out in the country, miles away from anything and very isolated. So the Entreqs have less to work against. My room by the way has been dealt with.. No problem there. Had fluctuating power, also dealt with. Will be curious to hear your experience.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Spazmatron, just move on. It's of no use to you. Those people it helps, it helps big time. See it as proof your system is more immune to gremlins, or the gremlins aren't even there to begin at your's.
I should be so lucky, have shelled out £7k on the stuff LOL!

+1000
just confirms which Entreq is system dependent.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing