Entreq Tellus grounding

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe.

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
agree, this is out of box thinking. and hard for my mind to process. I suppose it's possibly telling us something about the larger system synergy things going on. maybe if you also tried doing only the other side more insight will be revealed. is it this side that is significant, or only one side at a time that is the issue, or maybe even switch the speaker cables side to side and see if it's maybe an amp channel issue.

very interesting situation.

dr3_310.jpg

I have not compare grounding left vs right channel only. I will try to do a comparison later.

I suspect grounding the right channel is better. My Classe Audio DR3 stereo amp is bridgeable. When in mono mode, left pos. become positive, right pos. become negative. Left channel RCA is the input in mono mode. Right channel will be negative in mono mode, there should be something different in the right channel circuit.

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
Nearly 48 hrs into Entreq reconfiguring, and things very positive.
I am extremely glad to report.
I find it fascinating that where supports/isolation wasn’t a massive factor in my old room, it’s absolutely critical here (borne out by my radical impvts wrought by Stacore platforms).
So popping S Tellus on spare shelf of Symposium rack, Precision Couplers footers, Olympus Mini also on footers on top of S Tellus, and moving cdp grounding seperate to the O Mini, is doing that “reducing veils” thing.
Maybe not as dramatically as in London, but that’s no slur, it’s having to prove it’s worth on top of half a dozen dramatic system enhancements whereas in London it was the sole tweak I was relying on.
So, not revolutionary (that’s the room acoustics by far) but evolutionary, and totally worthwhile.

Hi spirtofmusic, stacking the Olympus Mini on top of Silver Tellus may not be a good idea. Entreq only recommend Altantis Tellus on top of Silver Tellus. Put anything else on top of Silver Tellus may not be good. I read a hi fi magazine from Hong Kong. In a review of Silver Tellus, the author said after a few days of listening,he noticed a degrade of sound of his system. Later he found out he has a remote control on top of Silver Tellus. He removed the remote, and everything sounds like it should be before.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Will bear in mind.
As it is currently, ie stacked, my sound is opening up and revealing real texture, lack of grain, and total absence of fatigue.
I’ve been running a particular Steve Morse guitar power trio cd over and over, and an acoustic track that always becomes a bit terse in the most complex section has really opened up with much less compression than before.
Fantastic.

llsaw

Feb 25, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I'm a big Entreq fan having learned about the Entreq effect in this forum and then using the Silver Minimus on my Primare preamp. I'm currently using the Olympus Minimus & Eartha Apollo on my Metronome CD8S Tube cdp and currently thinking about the following upgrades and would appreciate your advice. Which of the below would give me the best bang of buck? I eventually intend to go to all 3 but for the next 6 months can probably only afford the first two.

1. Try the Everest or K2 on the Olympus Minimus.
2. Upgrade the Eartha Apollo to Infinity Line. My dealer does not bring in the Atlantis currently as according to him the Apollo is already very good and the 2x price difference (in my country) means not much demand to warrant keeping stock for home demo. He can order but since I can't do a home demo I'm a bit cautious on this.
3. Entreq my Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amplifier. My Diablo 300 is dual mono so what would be the best way to ground it? 2 earth cables (1 per channel) from either speaker output terminals or XLR inputs to an Olympus Minimus or something like a Poseidon is recommended?

Appreciate your feedback and thoughts.

Last edited:

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I'm a big Entreq fan having learned about the Entreq effect in this forum and then using the Silver Minimus on my Primare preamp. I'm currently using the Olympus Minimus & Eartha Apollo on my Metronome CD8S Tube cdp and currently thinking about the following upgrades and would appreciate your advice. Which of the below would give me the best bang of buck? I eventually intend to go to all 3 but for the next 6 months can probably only afford the first two.

1. Try the Everest or K2 on the Olympus Minimus.
2. Upgrade the Eartha Apollo to Infinity Line. My dealer does not bring in the Atlantis currently as according to him the Apollo is already very good and the 2x price difference (in my country) means not much demand to warrant keeping stock for home demo. He can order but since I can't do a home demo I'm a bit cautious on this.
3. Entreq my Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amplifier. My Diablo 300 is dual mono so what would be the best way to ground it. 2 earth cables (1 per channel) from either speaker output terminals or XLR inputs to an Olympus Minimus or something like a Poseidon is recommended?

Appreciate your feedback and thoughts.

Hi llsaw, I have Silver Tellus with 2 Everest on it. And a Poseidon.

I recommend buying Poseidon. Buy Everest last. In Canada, retail price of 2 Olympus Minimus are $200US more than Poseidon. Entreq website said "The Poseidon can be best described as three totally independent Olympus Minimus in one neat enclosure. " I think Poseidon is more than 3 Olympus Minimus in one enclosure. Olympus Minimus weight 9kg, 3 of them are 27kg, Poseidon weight 32kg. That's 5kg different. Poseidon with 3 compartments, there are different ways you can use it.

Website said "Silver Tellus: Again the K2 or Everest applied to a Silver Tellus will start to approach the performance of the mighty OlympUs!" I don't agree with the description. One compartment of Poseidon outperform Silver Tellus with 2 Everest by a big margin, for this comparison I only connect one piece of equipment to the ground box. With Everest on Silver Tellus, the sound characteristic of Silver Tellus is more similar to Poseidon, but the performance is far behind. With 2 Everest install on Silver Tellus, highs extent higher and smoother. Amount of bass is less, but go down lower and has more dynamic.

For grounding power amp, I ground one of the speaker output negative terminal. I explain in earlier posts, grounding both channels is not as good as grounding only one channel in my amp. And also do chassis ground(screw) on the power amp.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi llsaw and welcome to the club.
I am assuming that the cdp is the only source in your system in the following suggestions.
The first two of your options would provide useful improvements but my priority would be to earth your amplifier. Poseidon would be ideal as together with three earth cables you could earth the amp and earth the negative speaker terminals which would give you a big improvement, but obviously that is an expensive upgrade that might not be possible at this stage.
I suggest that you go for a second Silver Minimus and earth cable to plug into one of the inputs on the amp with the cdp on your existing Minimus. You could then trade it in at a later stage for a Poseidon. Earthing the amp and the cdp to your existing Silver Minimus wouldn't be ideal so if you can stretch to a second Silver Minimus and earth cable, and a silver or copper earth would be fine,that would be very effective,

llsaw

Feb 25, 2016
EDS60 and Barry, Thanks for the great recommendations. Sorry I forgot to mention that I also have an analogue source. My current tt's a Clearaudio Ovation with Clarify tonearm and Stradivari V2 cart. The phonostage used to be an Allnic H1201 but that's in process of being upgraded to a Gryphon Legato Legacy which will arrive sometime in December hopefully. I intend to upgrade the tt to an AF3 or Sparta 0.5 sometime next year hence no budget for a Poseidon in the same year although I plan to get there. Also my dealer just dropped off the Everest at my place so let's see.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks IIsaw
There is a cumulative effect to Entreq grounding so the more of your system you can ground the better the results and the additional information about your system is therefore very relevant. In particular, albeit more expensive, I'd recommend you consider a Silver Tellus in advance of the Poseidon. You could trade in your Minimus for it and ground the whole system which would be more effective than partial grounding with the Poseidon which you could then do at a later stage.
Used Silver Tellus do come up so you might be able to find one at a good price.

Reactions: Raizen

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Eds60, as suggested by you, I’ve taken the O Min off the top of the S Tell, and placed it adjacent, all 3 grnd boxes on hard footers.
O Min now grounding cdp and S Cleanus via two Apollos, S Tell now grounding the rest using six Apollos over three terminals.
Very impressed w the return to form of Entreq in my system.
What I’m looking for in any tweak in my system (ie won’t accept less) is the presentation/revealing of more natural warmth/bass energy and midband texture with no compromise on agility or immediacy; and presence of more natural detail and spatial cues/air with no evidence of edginess/tipped up balance.
Entreq ticking these boxes nicely.
It looks like falling out of love with it/feeling it was redundant, even a compromise, with suggestions from those here still devoted to it, was the spur to wrangling it to start working again, and to take my system that elusive few %age points further twds more realism, more immersion, more performance.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Barry, there are other tweaks that are resolutely negative here, no matter how I use them, which were stellar in London, most noticeably Shun Mooks.
I totally understand now why they worked for me in my old room, and why they’re a hindrance here.
And tbh, it felt like deja vu with Entreq. Not so, it turns out.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Either I’m losing it LOL, or this hobby really is crazier than one could imagine.
First I found it hard to get my head around any kind of vibration isolation making any meaningful difference to the performance of an inert passive box like Entreq.
Explanation being that piezoelectric devices can be negated by noise/vibrations etc as are active components.
Evidence being that positioning of S Tell and O Mini on Symposium rack makes a very worthwhile upstick in Entreq performance.
Now I’ve relocated my S Cleanus to share the Stacore Adv with my cdp.
And the impvt is quite noticeable, and far superior to being on the floor.
I’m having a VERY hard time wrapping my head around this.
But I cannot deny the extra level of sweetness and verve in my sound that’s resulting.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The only explanation I can think of is that the reduction in airborne vibrations in your new listening room compared to the one in London and/or the benefits of the Stacore render the Shun Mooks ineffective but Bonzo may have another explanation.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, it’s probably a bit simpler than that.
Some tweaks are broadband in scope, and others enhance certain resonance bands.
Westwick balanced power, Stacore isolation platforms, Sablon cables, Entreq, eg, work across the spectrum, enabling individual songs and albums to sound differentiated from each other.
IMHO, and in my system, and esp room/system interaction here, tweaks that highlight certain frequencies/bands, and cause a certain unwanted tonal homogeneity include Shun Mooks, Stillpoints. They can sound absolutely compelling on Day One, but by the end of the first week I find they push the sound in a certain direction, and for me that’s unwanted.
IMHO, YMMV etc etc.

Last edited:

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
Eds60, as suggested by you, I’ve taken the O Min off the top of the S Tell, and placed it adjacent, all 3 grnd boxes on hard footers.
O Min now grounding cdp and S Cleanus via two Apollos, S Tell now grounding the rest using six Apollos over three terminals.
Very impressed w the return to form of Entreq in my system.
What I’m looking for in any tweak in my system (ie won’t accept less) is the presentation/revealing of more natural warmth/bass energy and midband texture with no compromise on agility or immediacy; and presence of more natural detail and spatial cues/air with no evidence of edginess/tipped up balance.
Entreq ticking these boxes nicely.
It looks like falling out of love with it/feeling it was redundant, even a compromise, with suggestions from those here still devoted to it, was the spur to wrangling it to start working again, and to take my system that elusive few %age points further twds more realism, more immersion, more performance.

Good to hear it made a positive difference for you. I never try putting something on top of Silver Tellus. So I don't know what will happen. Just share what I read from magazine.

Last edited:

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
2017-11-26 16.21.47.jpg
2017-11-26 16.22.00.jpg

I put my Poseidon on TAOC ASR-5 rack and Silver Tellus on Finite Elemente E12 rack. There are no space for any footer. I put madagascar ebony wood on the shelves, the wood will change the resonance of the shelves. Adding small pieces of Ebony on shelves did made a small noticeable difference.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Eds, it ALL makes a difference.
Squeezing my S Cleanus on a Stacore is proving quite the revelation. My aim is over time as I add to my fleet of Stacores, all my Entreq boxes, and my Furutech duplexes distribution strip, will go on them.

Tom Edwards

Nov 5, 2017
United Kingdom
Well after building up my distmantled Townshend Seismic Sink on Saturday I left everything to settle till Sunday night. The Posiedon is now sitting on the bottom shelf and the silver Tellus is on the top with the Atlantis Tellus sitting on top of that. On listening last night the improvements were immediately apparent. Notes that were slightly veiled are now clearly rendered with even more air and openness around the instruments . Vocals have reached a new level of transparency. Depth and width of soundstage have also increased. The improvements are not subtle. I wasn't even going to put these boxes on a stand,but wait till I Stillpointed it all. Seems to me that the initial purchase of any Entreq item is just the beginning of a pleasurable journey.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing