Entreq Tellus grounding

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
My Vitus SIA 025 is grounded to my Poseidon via an input on the amp and the other two terminals are used for the negative speaker terminal grounding.
I find it very effective and can certainly recommend it.

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
Thank you Barry. I have read the entire thread and don't recall you or anyone specifically saying they had both inputs and speaker negatives hooked up, I currently only have the inputs connected and can only imagine what both would due to the SQ. Did you due both inputs and negatives at the same time or one at a time?

If you had to choose one which would you choose " inputs or speaker negatives ?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Tecknik
The amplifier was input grounded before I did the negative speaker terminal grounding. The addition of negative speaker terminal grounding took place afterwards when I got the Poseidon. The negative speaker terminal further reduced the noise floor and lifted veils. I have not tried doing only the negative speaker terminal grounding on my system so can't really say which is best if only one option is available. It may also be system dependent.
If both cannot be done immediately I think the best plan is to try both options and see which works best in your system but you will need really to allow 24-48 hours between the two options as the earth cables need that sort of time to settle in properly.

Reactions: Raizen

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
Hi Barry, thats the only downfall if you could call it that in that it takes 24-48 hrs and everyday it gets better and better. I first started off with the silver tellus like so many on this thread recommends but quickly returned that and upgraded to the Poseidon and Olypmus Minimus. To try both at the same time I would have to disconnect my Dac which I don't think would be a forward move, source first down which means Im going to have to play with inputs or negatives like you mentioned to see whats the most beneficial for my system.

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
I ordered the grounding cables from negative speaker terminal to the Poseidon' my question is has anyone actually done this on a Accuphase amp ? I have emailed Accuphase and didn't receive a response, emailed Stillpoints and Paul recommended I ask here at WBF.

I certainly want to know before doing so.

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
I ordered the grounding cables from negative speaker terminal to the Poseidon' my question is has anyone actually done this on a Accuphase amp ? I have emailed Accuphase and didn't receive a response, emailed Stillpoints and Paul recommended I ask here at WBF.

I certainly want to know before doing so.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I am not aware of any problems with negative speaker terminal grounding on Accuphase amps but I don't know any Accuphase owners.
Their design is pretty orthodox and it is only the more unusual designs like Dave Berning amps which are not suitable.
I suggest you email Entreq who should be able to reassure you.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Thanks Barry I will email them.

I do not see any issue!!
You have to be care to: not short positive terminals.
Use to connect 1 amplifier negative terminal with 1 binding post of Poseidon (do not mix the 2 negative terminals fo amplifier to the same binding post of Poseidon).
Do not connect other components of your system to the binding posts used to ground the negative terminals of amplifier.
Hope this help.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Attention to the owners of Constellation amplifiers. I thought of connecting the nagative terminals to two Silver Minimus boxes. I wrote to Constellation and was told that due to the "Balanced Bridget design" of its amplifiers, damage would occur.

Last edited:

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Attention to the owners of Constellation amplifiers. I thought of connecting the nagative terminals to two Silver Minimus boxes. I wrote to Constellation and was told that due to the "Balanced Bridget design" of its amplifiers, damage would occur.

I am struggling to understand by what mechanism damage might occur. Not saying they are incorrect of course, just that I have difficulty comprehending the rational behind it.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I am struggling to understand by what mechanism damage might occur. Not saying they are incorrect of course, just that I have difficulty comprehending the rational behind it.

Hi.
This is the mail that Irv Gross sent me, after consulting the technical department:

Hello Francisco,

Our technical department replied:

On our amplifiers the (-) binding post is not at GROUND potential, it sits at a negative voltage below ground by the same amount as the (+) phase output sits positive above ground. Only the CHASSIS of the amplifier is GROUND. The left and right (-) posts are NOT to be connected to each other or to ground or the chassis EVER. Just like you would not attach the left and right (+) posts to each other or ground, do not do it to the (-). Doing anything like this to any of the outputs SHORTS the amplifier out and can DAMAGE it.

Best regards,

Irv

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi.
This is the mail that Irv Gross sent me, after consulting the technical department:

Hello Francisco,

On our amplifiers the (-) binding post is not at GROUND potential, it sits at a negative voltage below ground by the same amount as the (+) phase output sits positive above ground. Only the CHASSIS of the amplifier is GROUND. The left and right (-) posts are NOT to be connected to each other or to ground or the chassis EVER. Just like you would not attach the left and right (+) posts to each other or ground, do not do it to the (-). Doing anything like this to any of the outputs SHORTS the amplifier out and can DAMAGE it.

Best regards,

Irv

Most probably people from Constellation Audio do not know what the Silver Minimus boxes really are. As soon as they read "ground" they think about a low resistance connection and immediately tell users "DON'T DO IT"!

If you are using two separated isolated boxes, each connected to its negative post, you will not have problems.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Oh, I consult with Sven from Entreq, and he thinks there will be no problem.
I also think, maybe in Constellation, confuse the devices like Entreq Silver with others like the Troy, that they do connect to power,
but .............. who risks " Fry "your amplifier?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
As soon as they read "ground" they think about a low resistance connection and immediately tell users "DON'T DO IT"!
Yep! "ground" to any good engineer always means 'common reference point' and often a specific reference. Grounds always have two or more connections (can't be common without at least two).

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
image.jpg image.jpg

As stated in a previous post, I have the Centaur amplifier with two Silver Minimus' hooked to Neg. L&R channel. NO ISSUE. I am listening as I write this. :confused: :eek:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Hi.

Hello Francisco,

Best regards,

Irv

Yes, Constellation amplifiers are balanced type. Usually one of the main scope to use balanced based projects is to eliminate noise coming from chassis ground.
but there are not active components into Entreq ground boxes, so I do not find any issues to use groundboxes on balanced type of amplifiers.
Maybe could be a contradiction to add something that can add a potential noise to a balanced amplifier, which is completely disconnected to chassis ground throughout all the signal path.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing