Upgrade/repair for Genesis 500, Genesis 501 and Genesis APM-1

systemroot

Sep 29, 2018
I changed the controller already and also all caps but same problem -> distortion of the bass sound. Any other idea?
Is a service manual available @garylkoh ?
Thanks.

basura

Sep 29, 2019
I have never seen anything like that before. Do the holes go through to the woofer chamber? How were these speakers upgraded? If you would like to have a chat about these, you can give us a call in the office - 9am to 5pm Pacific time.
The Genesis speaker seller in Poland said he would find all information about this model. But it is look no good Maybe it is really original? Maybe someone who has this model can confirm this information or not.

Maybe I can convince the owner to unscrew the base.

If anybody have Genesis 501 I would be grateful for info.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I changed the controller already and also all caps but same problem -> distortion of the bass sound. Any other idea?
Is a service manual available @garylkoh ?
Thanks.

I am sorry. These were manufactured by the old company, and all information was lost when the OEM manufacturer and Genesis Technologies closed down in 2000. So, we were shooting in the dark even when we had the parts to fix this amp. We did not even have a circuit diagram or parts list to work with. I had an old technician who would just change out the parts one at a time until it worked, or he gave up.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Genesis speaker seller in Poland said he would find all information about this model. But it is look no good Maybe it is really original? Maybe someone who has this model can confirm this information or not.

Maybe I can convince the owner to unscrew the base.

If anybody have Genesis 501 I would be grateful for info.

I will ask on the owner's forum, but I doubt that the holes are original. May be the previous owner "upgraded" it thinking that a port might improve the bass (it will not!!).

basura

Sep 29, 2019
I will ask on the owner's forum, but I doubt that the holes are original. May be the previous owner "upgraded" it thinking that a port might improve the bass (it will not!!).

I would be very grateful for any info.
Thank you.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
None of the G501 owners that I know have those holes in their speakers. Nor the G500 owner. One speculated that if the holes are at the back of the speaker, someone may have thought that it would be a good idea to drill ventilation holes for the plate amplifier (although that would not be necessary). The plate itself is sufficient heatsinking for the Class D amplifier.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
I have both 500 and a 501 at home (though about to sell the 500s since I don‘t use them anymore). None of them have holes in the base like that. FWIW, the current amp replacement in the 501 has worked like a charm. I’m simply an idiot when it cones to electronics, so while the old amp ‘might‘ have been repairable .... it was well behond my skills. Plus at some point old gets old ....

Reactions: garylkoh

basura

Sep 29, 2019
Thank you all for any advice, problem with holes resolved.
I have very big request to ca1ore: I would be very grateful for photos of crossover behind middle speaker under tweeter. I am looking for what else has changed by last owner. I would like to compare your photo with my look of crossover. I hope that you can find few minutes to make photos.
Kind Regards

basura

Sep 29, 2019
Please for help,
I refurbing used upgraded Genesis 501. I affraid that someone something changed in crossover. I can not find anywhere info about crossover especially photos.
I woul be gratefull for photos of crossover.
I mean crossover on top. Maybe someone has scheme of circuit or can make for me photos. It is no to much work. Maybe some owner of G501can hel me?
Maybe someone has crossover for sale?
Please for help.
Kind Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing