Does it matter?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
On another forum, that I will probably no longer be posting on, I asked the question IF the members believed in the ability of the tonearm to adjust azimuth. BIG MISTAKE. I was flamed to death with comments like:
Why would I want to adjust azimuth when I am perfectly happy with the sound that I am getting. I paid a lot of money for my cartridge and for the guru to set it up on my TT and I would NOT want to or have to adjust anything myself!
Or this: Having the ability to adjust azimuth will introduce more losses into the signal as there would need to be another joint in the tonearm and this would more than off-set the "supposed" advantage. Or this: The cartridge manufacturer should be able to built the cartridge so that it is correctly aligned....IF that is not the case then the cartridge manufacturer and cartridge are at fault!
This particular forum is made up of guys who adore the TT and arm that the forum is designed for; WELL known product. However, IMHO the arm in question ( very well known and high priced), is IMHO not at all competitive with today's arms, is a very flawed product.
Azimuth adjustment....Does it matter?:confused:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Davey, :b

When they are mastering the best records, what kind of turntables are they using during the mastering process, and after during the listening tests?

The record master engineers; do they adjust the azimuth of their mastered turntable's tonearms?
And what kind of tonearms are best for mastering record albums (vinyl)?

Last, do you mind naming that other audio (analog) forum?

Have a great week.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Guys, I'm not sure the mods would like me to tell;). However, it was NOT SME.

WBF has no objection in simply enumerating another audio website. ...You did not say anything bad, or good about it; you just said what you have to say.
You're an adult, we're all adults; and we all behave as respectable adults searching for the deeper truth about what's best in everything.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I believe it matters but I use a PU7 with azimuth adjustment. Although I set by ear and a test record.

John R.

P.S. Hey DaveyF , it turns out I've been a member of WBF for a while and forgot about it because of all the crap I've had to deal with elsewhere!

Where is "elsewhere"?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm in the camp that azimuth is equally important as other set up parameters such as VTF, VTA, and offset angle. IMO, it gets let attention because many tonearm manufacturers don't allow adjustment or adjusting is difficult. Azimuth is typically the last parameter to dial in and oft times, the difference between spot on and merely close is quite audible.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
On another forum, that I will probably no longer be posting on, I asked the question IF the members believed in the ability of the tonearm to adjust azimuth. BIG MISTAKE.

linn ekos? along with the SME and rega you cant fiddle w/ the azimuth on theses arms unless you improvise w/ shims - they all have captive bearings in common. you couldnt properly set-up a unipivot w/o azimuth adjustment, irrespective of the cartridge.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There is no definitive answer to this question. People who prefer the rigid tonearm will tell you that if your cartridge needs twisting you should return it and ask the manufacturer for a perfect sample. It is a reasonable argument. But you should also consider that a small azimuth adjustment is very easy to carry if you have a test LP, can save you a lot of work and perhaps even avoid conflicts with your cartridge dealer!

Audiophile life is filled with compromises. :)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Azimuth is typically the last parameter to dial in and oft times, the difference between spot on and merely close is quite audible.

I consider azimuth one of the most important setup/sonic parameters, and perhaps one of the least understood. The fact is, if azimuth is off even by a small amount (which is often the case), listening for precise SRA becomes more of a compromised affair. Especially true with particular tonearms that lack azimuth adjustment, don't inc. aligned bearings, and with audiophiles who use carts which require a higher degree of non-parallel VTA in order to attain desired SRA.

And with those who trump detachable headshells, how many bother to precisely re-adjust azimuth every time they re-attach a cartridge? I've been to demo's in which this "issue" wasn't even addressed.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Does it matter to be able to set azimuth? Assuming a cartridge can never be assumed to be perfectly aligned internally, there is yet another more compelling reason to have that capability: in a non-linear arm, when you adjust SRA you are inevitably affecting azimuth.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My SME 312S has adjustable azimuth.

I have to say that my Sumiko MDC 800 did not have adjustable azimuth and in arms such as the ET2 for many years I adjusted it with a mirror :cool: , although now I do it properly.

Anyway. why should all manufacturers arms have adjustable azimuth if 95% of owners do not have a test LP and measuring systems to adjust it ?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
linn ekos? along with the SME and rega you cant fiddle w/ the azimuth on theses arms unless you improvise w/ shims - they all have captive bearings in common. you couldnt properly set-up a unipivot w/o azimuth adjustment, irrespective of the cartridge.

I think the DaVinci arm reviewed by Valin lacked this necessity. I din't remember the Itok allowing for azimuth adjustment either but my memory could be failing. Neither could you adjust the older SMEs but the newer models allow for azimuth correction. Now how it's achieved in the arm's design is another thing eg. Cocking the headshell or counterweight, the arm tube, etc. (The NAIM ARO arm reviewed in Stereophile a couple of years ago lacked the ability to adjust overhang. Isn't that a bigger issue? :( )

It's great to debate about the theoretical but the reality is that there are micro and macro azimuth adjustments. Yes sometimes too much macro-adjustment could be considered a defective cartridge as some found with van den Hul cartridges. But then there are micro-adjustments that can be read on instruments for either crosstalk for phase. How could the cartridge manufacturer correct for those factors that are a combination of table, arm and cartridge construction and setup?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing