Studer A810 - recording problem in one channel

bravi

Nov 29, 2011
On Saturday, Channel A stopped recording. The recording on both channels were functioning well till about a week ago. Any body with suggestions on how this can be resolved?

Cheers!

Ravi

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
On Saturday, Channel A stopped recording. The recording on both channels were functioning well till about a week ago. Any body with suggestions on how this can be resolved?

Cheers!

Ravi

First thing check your cable connections.
2nd thing reset your boards
with your machine off and powered down.

bravi

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. Cable connection may not be a problem as I could hear the source when I toggled the input button. Will attempt the second suggestion and report back.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Like Roger said;

1. Check your connections; usually it's a bad contact. ...Wiggle some wires around, look for oxidation at contact points. ...Wires from the recording head.
2. Check the recording head, and clean and demagnetize if necessary.
3. Cycle power off and on again.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Switch the record card A to B and B to A to see still the same channel is problem or not ? if yes something wrong from input or from the record card to the record head is problem, if the problem switch to channel B, then the record is bad
tony ma

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Switch the record card A to B and B to A to see still the same channel is problem or not ? if yes something wrong from input or from the record card to the record head is problem, if the problem switch to channel B, then the record is bad
tony ma

I Had a similar issue. Bad record card. I found this out by switching channel 1&2's cards and the problem reversed.

bravi

Nov 29, 2011
Thanks all for the suggestions. I swapped the cards between channels ( Record and HF driver) one at a time and tried recording. But Channel A is not recording. Looks like Tony Ma's conclusion may be correct- a blown record head.
To confirm this, I may have to swap out the head block and try another one. Will report back on this.

Once again, thanks for the prompt responses. You may find my replies a bit out of sync with you all in N. America as I based in Wellington, New Zealand.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
To check the rec head normal or not is easy, no need to change the whole block, just use tester measure both channels' resistance value is the same or not. you have signal from input because you can hear when you switch to input, that means signal direct from line amp to output amp, it does not mean that will go to rec amp. from line amp to rec amp's path is between switches like READY and REC also REC LEVEL control, so make sure there have signal to pin no.1 of rec card. from rec card to head is simple than input only go through SYN switch, but rec card is ok then you must check from the base broad big job !
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing