Tape, tape, tape, and Ki Choi

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Guess you'll have to come to one of our meetings then instead of proclaiming something you've never heard. :cool:

Look Bruce; those stockbrokers type of ceilings from skyscrapers and basements with heavy lights are bad for your eyes and ears.
I've seem them, and heard them. ...There is no life, no emotion, just destruction. :cool:

I'm not talking about the gear and the speaker, but just about that very sterile and uninviting room. ...That's all, nothing else.
* Check the room again, from the previous picture, and honestly tell me that I'm wrong.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Look Bruce; those stockbrokers type of ceilings from skyscrapers and basements with heavy lights are bad for your eyes and ears.
I've seem them, and heard them. ...There is no life, no emotion, just destruction. :cool:

I've heard great sounds from our system. Gary and others have worked hard on achieving the best sound possible out of that room. Some meetings, the sound has captivated the audience.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well, that's all it matters that you are satisfied at the end. I have no doubt that Gary and others worked hard (understandably) to get something decent out of that ugly room (eyesore), and if the audience was captivated more power to them when they return home to their familiar comfort zone; relief it must be.

For me, great music (sound) starts by a comfortable environment first (comfy chair too).

This is just my own opinion, nothing at all else.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

I'm not talking about the gear and the speaker, but just about that very sterile and uninviting room. ...That's all, nothing else.
* Check the room again, from the previous picture, and honestly tell me that I'm wrong.

Sure it's not the Ritz but it is a nice size room and meets our needs nicely. We have had some very nice sound in this room. If you visit Bob just wear a hat so you can't see the ceiling.:D

It was a treat to have Ki Choi speak about his experiences getting into tape and tape machines. He covered what tape machines are good candidates for good sound and are able to be repaired easily in different price ranges. Also spoke about wiring out the head to outboard preamps to improve the sound. We were treated to some very good sounding tapes played through his Studer A80.

Thanks for the presentation Ki! Very informative.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Bob, this space has been in continuous use by the PNWAS for well over 10 years. So, it is a space that is familiar to all the club members, and despite the lack of room treatment, we have made it work. To us, the club members, it is our club home. We meet for the music, camaraderie, education, enjoyment and friendship. As a club, we have made it warm and inviting not with expensive furnishings or decor, but by genuine hospitality. The system has life and emotion not because it has great or expensive components, but because we have set it up every month, month after month, and we know how it works and how the room works. Any one of the executive committee members could set it up, and it would sound great.

I invite you to come to one of our meetings. I'll even pay for a night at a local hotel for you. Until you experience one of our great meetings (I wasn't there last night), like when Steve McCormack came to demo his VRE-1C, or when Jim Merod came to show off his direct-off-the-Tascam live jazz recordings, or when Todd Garfinkle recorded a live performance upstairs and played it downstairs, you cannot begin to understand how much our club members appreciate our humble environment.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Gary, I respect your club, but that don't change my opinion on the look of that room. :b ...I'm just talking about the room, not the people, the gear, the speaker, and the music playing and coming out of it.

I know that you guys are a great bunch; I can tell by your good sense of humor, your camaraderie, your learning "tool" (room) and center place of meeting.

And I appreciate (sincerely) your invitation, and from Bruce too, and from Sean, and Mike, and I'm sure that if I could I would and that I can rise above my small discomfort over the room's look. ...Still though, a nice cozy place would be more inviting. :b

The people are more important than anything else; the artists, the musicians, the message, the emotional reproduction; I'm glad you mentioned all of the above, and I feel that I would fit perfectly in your group, with your ideas, and your passion.

I've seen pictures before where the musicians were performing, and that room (upstairs) was better.
My comment on that room's last picture was in no way, shape or form degrading to your group, the speaker, the artists, and the gear; as an artist myself it was a simple critic on the room's aspect (looks and build) itself. ...Plus the colors and the overall atmosphere: emergency hospital hallway.
Yeah yeah I know; the system has life and emotion ... not that room though. Sorry.
You and others might not like my comment and that is your right to disagree with me; but I still respect everyone.

Btw, I like the couch on the left wall, when facing the front wall. ...And its color too.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bet it still sounded great!

I highly doubt that!

Bob, this was not a comment on the decor, speakers, equipment or people. This was a diss on the sound, which you have no knowledge of. I agree with you that the room can be more inviting aesthetically, but we are sharing space with a church and only so much can be done with the room.

This is all I'm going to say about this and let's move forward. Again, I want to thank Ki, Phillip and everyone else who participated with the meeting. I've gotten great feedback and would like to invite Ki back for a Part 2 meeting with more emphasis on setup, calibration and a more extended listening session! :cool:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Bob, this space has been in continuous use by the PNWAS for well over 10 years. So, it is a space that is familiar to all the club members, and despite the lack of room treatment, we have made it work. To us, the club members, it is our club home. We meet for the music, camaraderie, education, enjoyment and friendship. As a club, we have made it warm and inviting not with expensive furnishings or decor, but by genuine hospitality. The system has life and emotion not because it has great or expensive components, but because we have set it up every month, month after month, and we know how it works and how the room works. Any one of the executive committee members could set it up, and it would sound great.

I invite you to come to one of our meetings. I'll even pay for a night at a local hotel for you. Until you experience one of our great meetings (I wasn't there last night), like when Steve McCormack came to demo his VRE-1C, or when Jim Merod came to show off his direct-off-the-Tascam live jazz recordings, or when Todd Garfinkle recorded a live performance upstairs and played it downstairs, you cannot begin to understand how much our club members appreciate our humble environment.

we have been in this space for almost 30 years. i started attending 18 years ago.

the room and system are not perfect; but the care and thought that goes into the 'total' is considerable by some very knowedgable folks. i'm not nearly as involved with the club as i once was but i'd say the club and the level of overall delivery of useful, relevant and entertaining content has never been better. i'm proud to be associated with it and would not trade the good things overall for a better (looking) room and more expensive system for less of the other assets.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Alright, good enough; it could be worst, and it could be better. ...And I know zip about the sound because I've never been there in person.
* I should never assume just by looking at the room; and the gear and the speakers. ...And I should never believe all what people are saying before experimenting it (listening to) for myself. :b

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm surprised that anyone even responded to Bob's comments. Who cares what he thinks? I don't have a psychobabble decoder so I just ignore him.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm surprised that anyone even responded to Bob's comments. Who cares what he thinks? I don't have a psychobabble decoder so I just ignore him.

---- So why did you even bother to post it. ...Seems like a total useless waste of space to me, plus an absolute negative remark directly on my person.
...Not very nice, not nice at all. ...Try to go forward Mark, and in a renewed positive attitude; leaving behind the negativity and animosity that you reserve towards me.

I suggest this to you: ???

* And while at it, read the WBF's TOS.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gary, I respect your club, but that don't change my opinion on the look of that room. :b ...I'm just talking about the room, not the people, the gear, the speaker, and the music playing and coming out of it.

I know that you guys are a great bunch; I can tell by your good sense of humor, your camaraderie, your learning "tool" (room) and center place of meeting.

And I appreciate (sincerely) your invitation, and from Bruce too, and from Sean, and Mike, and I'm sure that if I could I would and that I can rise above my small discomfort over the room's look. ...Still though, a nice cozy place would be more inviting. :b

The people are more important than anything else; the artists, the musicians, the message, the emotional reproduction; I'm glad you mentioned all of the above, and I feel that I would fit perfectly in your group, with your ideas, and your passion.

I've seen pictures before where the musicians were performing, and that room (upstairs) was better.
My comment on that room's last picture was in no way, shape or form degrading to your group, the speaker, the artists, and the gear; as an artist myself it was a simple critic on the room's aspect (looks and build) itself. ...Plus the colors and the overall atmosphere: emergency hospital hallway.
Yeah yeah I know; the system has life and emotion ... not that room though. Sorry.
You and others might not like my comment and that is your right to disagree with me; but I still respect everyone.

Btw, I like the couch on the left wall, when facing the front wall. ...And its color too.

When does everyone get to have a look at your room

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A comfortable room is as important as the music we enjoy listening to. ...And the same applies with an audio forum.
Best is to feel yourself comfortable to post what and when you consider some of that essence. :b

...And with the people you appreciate, and who appreciate you back. ...Simple, honest, and no fireworks.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
A comfortable room is as important as the music we enjoy listening to. ...And the same applies with an audio forum.
Best is to feel yourself comfortable to post what and when you consider some of that essence. :b

Seems you're pretty comfortable here at WBF with almost 10k posts!! Give up the essence Bob... or just keep posting your drivel.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Seems you're pretty comfortable here at WBF with almost 10k posts!! Give up the essence Bob... or just keep posting your drivel.

If you only knew one percent of all the tribulations that I've been through Bruce!

* Some of my own contributing essence?: Just look at some of my own threads (on receivers, BD players, flat panels, movies, pictures, fun videos, ...).
And listen to some of the music that I listen to.
...And some of the good advice I provided to some of the members from my continuous dedication and love.

I got some every single day to give. ...I learned how to live, breathe, and share with all of you.
I got to know some of you like my own brothers and sisters.

** "Drivel"! ...I take it as a compliment.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing