Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
To Bruce and Ki...thank you both!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Great video, if you give me the aok I can create a page on AVShowrooms for this seminar so more folks can see it. I can do a short edit and watermark it to the society as well.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Great video, if you give me the aok I can create a page on AVShowrooms for this seminar so more folks can see it. I can do a short edit and watermark it to the society as well.

Thank-you Peter, much appreciated. I'm sorry my video/editing skills are not up to your standards!!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Thank-you Peter, much appreciated. I'm sorry my video/editing skills are not up to your standards!!

Nor are my mastering skills to your standards.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bruce - A bit OT, but what mic are you using with the video? Is it a standalone or the built-in kind.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Very useful talk, thanks Bruce, Gary and Ki.

Towards the middle of video two Ki says that wow and flutter is reduced considerably with a machine laying down. Is it easy to convert most portable pro/pro-sumer machines to console use without making (many) alterations to the enclosure of the tape machine?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Great viewing. Thanks Bruce and Ki!

Bruce in PA

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I finally got a chance to sit down and listen to part 1,very informative and entertaining. It's great to listen to Ki and gain from his experiences,I share some of the ups and downs so I can really relate to what he is sharing. All i can say is Ki you are a natural story teller and a wealth of information. I look foward to part 2,thanks Ki.

And Bruce too.

Roger

Last edited:

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
Yes a big thank you to Ki Choi for sharing his knowledge and time also Bruce for recording it. Interesting comments from Ki on buying tape from the evil bay as being a complete crap shoot. It seems there are many people willing to take that bet with reels selling for over $1000 being quite common and this listing could be quite costly if bogus http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Reel-to-...08?pt=Music_Other_Formats&hash=item20d7781a78

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
Here is an unusual question for Ki. I understand the Studer A820 can do up to 14" reels. Do they actually hold double of a 10 1/2" reel ? If not how many feet of tape and time at 15 ips will it play? Are there any 14" reel even made or just new old stock?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Here is an unusual question for Ki. I understand the Studer A820 can do up to 14" reels. Do they actually hold double of a 10 1/2" reel ? If not how many feet of tape and time at 15 ips will it play? Are there any 14" reel even made or just new old stock?

will double check at home but from my memory, yes, the 14" reels contains twice the tape. I haven't seen any new 14" reel tapes. The four NOS tapes I bought was from a studio in LA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing