Tape, tape, tape, and Ki Choi

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
WBF members interested in getting into tape, or just curious what this "ultimate analog format" sounds like won't want to miss this next meeting of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society.

Thursday, September 12th, 2013 - Ki Choi: Reel to Reel Expert

Ki Choi is the foremost expert on reel-to-reel tape machines and their restoration. He owns over 40 working tape machines and countless non-working ones from Studer, Nagra, Ampex and others and is the man behind the restoration of many of the machines owned by audiophiles around the country. Ki lives in the Puget Sound area and will be taking a break from his day job as a nuclear scientist to visit the Audio Society.

Ki will focus his discussion on explaining how someone who's new to tape can get started...the best machines to start with, how to operate, maintain and calibrate the machine, etc. Of course, we'll also spend some time listening to one (or more) of Ki's machines and some of the best tapes we can come up with from his and the Puget Sound Studios' collections. As many of you know, reel tape is arguable the highest form of analog sound. Though it's not easy to find or inexpensive, high-quality tape is a purist audiophile's dream. Expect some of the best sound we'll have all year.

As usual, the club's reference playback system comprising the Genesis I60 tube amplifier and G7.2f loudspeakers will be used.

For more information: http://www.audiosociety.org

Thursday, September 12th 7:30pm
Mercer Island Congregational Church (basement)
4545 Island Crest Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040

All are welcome.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That will be a real treat!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
WBF members in the Seattle area are so very lucky.....Ki is the best and his passion for tape, I can't say enough.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Any chance of this being recorded? :)

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Please have this video'd, I'll edit the raw video and post it and push it our there. A simple tripod set up, with mic on the camera (don't want a lavelier unless you have a boom for the audience) with lots of light on the subject and none behind the subject.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I wish I could be there.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i was at Ki's place last night, and told him i could not make it for this event. i would have liked to be there.

i'm hosting a WBF member from Austin on thursday night for a listening session so will miss the meeting. we will listen to some tape for sure.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Grrr....working the late shift and going to miss this!:(

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Yes, video please!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hey Doc... you missed a great meeting last night. Ki was on his "A" game and had a captive audience for the full 2-hr. I know they could have gone another 2hr.!

Thank-you so much Ki..!!!

photo.JPG

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
"NorthStar said: "The room totally sucks though, with that very ugly and distracting ceiling. ;)"

Bet it still sounded great!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'm sorry that I missed it too. My daughter's just got into Middle School, and last night was her school's curriculum night. I thought that it would last an hour or so and I would have made it albeit a little late..... but by the time we finished Ki would have had to talk for 3 hours for me to make the last few minutes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing