CD Quality Is Not High-Res Audio

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
This was a disc done by MA recordings and it is stunning, even on my simple digital playback source. I still have it (somewhere). Ever hear of Dropbox?

Yes, thank you for this very clarification.

When I finally heard this CD thru my system, I took an abrupt about face. It literally minimized the vast majority of commercial digital I've heard - regardless of format (then again, my own LP-CDRs do much the same thing). The music was lively, transients were very quick, un-phased from top freq. to bottom leading to a very impact-full, dimensionally broad sound ... you know ... the exact same characteristics hi-rez formats promise ... but don't always deliver.

I use dropbox to transfer pictures from my mobile but I do now have a copy (of my orig.copy).

tb1

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes, thank you for this very clarification.

When I finally heard this CD thru my system, I took an abrupt about face. It literally minimized the vast majority of commercial digital I've heard - regardless of format (then again, my own LP-CDRs do much the same thing). The music was lively, transients were very quick, un-phased from top freq. to bottom leading to a very impact-full, dimensionally broad sound ... you know ... the exact same characteristics hi-rez formats promise ... but don't always deliver.

I use dropbox to transfer pictures from my mobile but I do now have a copy (of my orig.copy).

tb1

I play it about once a week and usually on a quiet Sunday morning. I sit on my couch with a coffee by my side and the newspaper in front of me. I never finish reading as I'm always taken in with the music. Glad to hear you have a copy at least!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
At TAVES two years ago, the stewards were handing out a demo CD from one of the shows sponsors. I inadvertently gave it away without listening, no biggie considering so many of these freebees turn out to be duds. Well, damn ... this demo CD turned out to be one of the best sounding digital recordings I've heard regardless of format. Supposedly it was recorded in house with great care, using fine tube based gear.

If DSD sounded this good, well ...

At the same show, I encountered the gracious James Tanner with pad in hand, sitting in front of a Bryston system playing hi-rez downloads. The system sounded nice & smooth, not at all irritable (trust me, a compliment consider the number of screaming rooms at these shows). I asked him what digital resolution was he using for demo ... he replied purposely 16/44.

tb1

looked for rooms that didn't need to scream to impress, I encountered

Ha!

* What is the title of that MA recording; any picture?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Reviewers will invent officious definitions from the armchairs in their crappy listening space containing their free gear they barely know how to turn on.

Reviewers generally are broke. They can't afford to buy the gear they review at normal prices. In fact, a reviewer confessed this fact to me at RMAF last year. He said that he's a reviewer simply to gain access to the gear he otherwise wouldn't be able to acquire.

My point: There is no accommodation price for hiring a contractor to build a dedicated listening space. Ive never heard of an acoustician trading their services for a positive review. Ive never heard of RPG trading Modex Plates for a positive review. Do people ever see the 1/6 smoothed octave frequency response of Atkinson or Fremer's rooms? And these are some of the well compensated reviewers. Think how bad it is in the rest of the looters' rooms.

This guy has never heard of Keith Johnson.

Your prescience preceeds itself. I'm amazed how you can tell by looking at all rooms, how they sounds how. Sort of like Art Lintgen being able to read record grooves.

And pray tell how buying lots of expensive gear and having a certified acoustician come in blesses the room. For the record, I've heard more 150K rooms sound like cow dung than the opposite. Not to mention all those expensive systems. Guess it depends on which side of the coin you're looking at.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This was a disc done by MA recordings and it is stunning, even on my simple digital playback source. I still have it (somewhere). Ever hear of Dropbox? ;)

With Todd's permission, I put a high-rez copy of this disc up for download, but there were so few downloads that I took it down at his request. You can buy his master files (the newest ones were recorded on a highly modified Korg, older ones were on Tascam, Sony, etc.) as DVD-ROMs from his website at http://www.marecordings.com/

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Is this the one?

--

Or another title from this page?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Reviewers will invent officious definitions from the armchairs in their crappy listening space containing their free gear they barely know how to turn on.

Reviewers generally are broke. They can't afford to buy the gear they review at normal prices. In fact, a reviewer confessed this fact to me at RMAF last year. He said that he's a reviewer simply to gain access to the gear he otherwise wouldn't be able to acquire.

My point: There is no accommodation price for hiring a contractor to build a dedicated listening space. Ive never heard of an acoustician trading their services for a positive review. Ive never heard of RPG trading Modex Plates for a positive review. Do people ever see the 1/6 smoothed octave frequency response of Atkinson or Fremer's rooms? And these are some of the well compensated reviewers. Think how bad it is in the rest of the looters' rooms.

This guy has never heard of Keith Johnson.

As someone who makes a full time living about electronics, and more than likely, soon in another hobby, I agree with much of what you say.

However, hacks who you characterize as "looters" are in the great, great, minority.

Reviewers come in all colors. There are a bunch who are independently wealthy and don't have to work day jobs, so accommodations are not
really a big incentive. There are those who have a true passion. There are those who are experienced writers and have an interest in audio.
And...also in reverse. Not a single Stereophile writer has a journalism degree. That may be because "reviewing" of any kind is not really journalism.

Any way, there are reviewers who REALLY do care, and want to serve the reader. They really do. There ARE, ego driven reviewer centric writers
whose only agenda is to convert people to their way of thinking and blather on.

For the record, I had what I think was a decent Naim/ARC/Harbeth/Transparent system I bought at FULL retail before writing my first professional review, for which I got paid. I also spent my own money, with no break, on getting my room treated, and soundproofed. Mind you, it is not perfect by any stretch, but it is better than before. My second system, is in an untreated room, but sounds very good to me.

As far as what I agree with..sure there are reviewers whose rooms are a joke, who are in it for the access to dealer pricing, and because they are sycophants of the industry. But not all. Not even close.

Most established and widely read reviewers have significant resources invested. Of course there are two very big exceptions which is of public record.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I think you misunderstand what I am saying and its my fault. I am not saying these reviewers intend to write misinformed reviews. I don't care what their intentions are. The bottom line is building a top quality listening space is hard and expensive. If the reviewer doesn't have the space, they can't do a competent review, no matter how honest their intentions may be. I think those folks may not be looters. There are a few reviewers that know how to use a mic and post decent frequency response measurements. This is not expensive or difficult to do. Below 100hz or so, the measurement from the listening position WILL BE a very accurate representation of the room's bass at these frequencies. The only reviews Ive ever seen where this is done would be Kal Rubinson, Fremer, Atkinson and of course Bruce Brown has done this as well. These aren't the looters I am referring to. I give these folks credit for that. It's like a basic qualifier for me. If I see it, then I can at start to put things into context. So called reviewers that think the price tag for the gear matters before the room; I don't pay attention to them.

As someone who makes a full time living about electronics, and more than likely, soon in another hobby, I agree with much of what you say.

However, hacks who you characterize as "looters" are in the great, great, minority.

Reviewers come in all colors. There are a bunch who are independently wealthy and don't have to work day jobs, so accommodations are not
really a big incentive. There are those who have a true passion. There are those who are experienced writers and have an interest in audio.
And...also in reverse. Not a single Stereophile writer has a journalism degree. That may be because "reviewing" of any kind is not really journalism.

Any way, there are reviewers who REALLY do care, and want to serve the reader. They really do. There ARE, ego driven reviewer centric writers
whose only agenda is to convert people to their way of thinking and blather on.

For the record, I had what I think was a decent Naim/ARC/Harbeth/Transparent system I bought at FULL retail before writing my first professional review, for which I got paid. I also spent my own money, with no break, on getting my room treated, and soundproofed. Mind you, it is not perfect by any stretch, but it is better than before. My second system, is in an untreated room, but sounds very good to me.

As far as what I agree with..sure there are reviewers whose rooms are a joke, who are in it for the access to dealer pricing, and because they are sycophants of the industry. But not all. Not even close.

Most established and widely read reviewers have significant resources invested. Of course there are two very big exceptions which is of public record.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I think you misunderstand what I am saying and its my fault. I am not saying these reviewers intend to write misinformed reviews. I don't care what their intentions are. The bottom line is building a top quality listening space is hard and expensive. If the reviewer doesn't have the space, they can't do a competent review, no matter how honest their intentions may be. I think those folks may not be looters. There are a few reviewers that know how to use a mic and post decent frequency response measurements. This is not expensive or difficult to do. Below 100hz or so, the measurement from the listening position WILL BE a very accurate representation of the room's bass at these frequencies. The only reviews Ive ever seen where this is done would be Kal Rubinson, Fremer, Atkinson and of course Bruce Brown has done this as well. These aren't the looters I am referring to. I give these folks credit for that. It's like a basic qualifier for me. If I see it, then I can at start to put things into context. So called reviewers that think the price tag for the gear matters before the room; I don't pay attention to them.

Thanks for clarification. Here is thing. The guys you just mentioned play in the stratosphere. They review the most expensive gear produced. They SHOULD have a great room. Kal maybe the exception in that he does enjoy reviewing affordable gear. Plus he measure a lot since those tools are built into much of the multi channel gear he gets.

What about the rest of the fold who review products costing in the hundreds to the mid 5 figures? Does it really make sense to build a room and spend a ton treating it?

Will customers of a $2000 DAC or a $1500 speaker do that? I say not. How about the fact, and it is a fact, that great measuring rooms can also sound NOTHING like real music? Obviously room measurements are a non factor for most as there are reviewers who have been in the business for decades, are trusted by readers and manufacturers alike who have never published a measurement.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Oh I think your post was perfectly clear.

So tell me how many of your so favored ne plus ultra high-end manufacturers evaluate their equipment in acoustician approved rooms? Hint. Next to none (TA, Harman and Silent Running Audio are the exception rather than the rule). So I guess they're all hacks too according to your definition and should immediately drummed out of the industry.

Oh yes, predicting room acoustics, as Art Noxon once told me, is impossible. Rooms that shouldn't work do and ones that should don't.

Oh and in my 25 years as a reviewer, I've never traded a positive review for equipment, etc nor do I know anyone who has since it would be grounds for immediate termination as a reviewer. So put your money where your mouth is and name names rather than the proverbial unnamed source rather than casting aspersions.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

So tell me how many of your so favored ne plus ultra high-end manufacturers evaluate their equipment in acoustician approved rooms? Hint. Next to none (TA, Harman and Silent Running Audio are the exception rather than the rule). So I guess they're all hacks too according to your definition and should immediately drummed out of the industry.

Oh yes, predicting room acoustics, as Art Noxon once told me, is impossible. Rooms that shouldn't work do and ones that should don't.

Should we take it Myles , then, that a good room is not a requisite to judge equipment of the highest quality?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Oh and in my 25 years as a reviewer, I've never traded a positive review for equipment, etc nor do I know anyone who has since it would be grounds for immediate termination as a reviewer. So put your money where your mouth is and name names rather than the proverbial unnamed source rather than casting aspersions.

Having been in several dozen factories...of brands we have ALL heard of..I never seen a treated room. So you are correct.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Thanks for clarification. Here is thing. The guys you just mentioned play in the stratosphere. They review the most expensive gear produced. They SHOULD have a great room. Kal maybe the exception in that he does enjoy reviewing affordable gear. Plus he measure a lot since those tools are built into much of the multi channel gear he gets.

What about the rest of the fold who review products costing in the hundreds to the mid 5 figures? Does it really make sense to build a room and spend a ton treating it?

Will customers of a $2000 DAC or a $1500 speaker do that? I say not. How about the fact, and it is a fact, that great measuring rooms can also sound NOTHING like real music? Obviously room measurements are a non factor for most as there are reviewers who have been in the business for decades, are trusted by readers and manufacturers alike who have never published a measurement.

While I have nothing to add to the argument, I will speak for those in the budget department. I can't speak for $1500 speakers as they appeal to the masses, but to drop some decent coin on something like a DAC, it takes someone vested in the hobby. I didn't spend a hefty amount treating my room, but I did do extensive research and did quite a bit myself. Even the couch was swapped from leather to microfiber to help with the acoustics of the room. This area is one I do stress for many, regardless of how deep they are in the game.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
While I have nothing to add to the argument, I will speak for those in the budget department. I can't speak for $1500 speakers as they appeal to the masses, but to drop some decent coin on something like a DAC, it takes someone vested in the hobby. I didn't spend a hefty amount treating my room, but I did do extensive research and did quite a bit myself. Even the couch was swapped from leather to microfiber to help with the acoustics of the room. This area is one I do stress for many, regardless of how deep they are in the game.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

My premise is simply that someone with a $7500 or $10,000 system is not going to spend $5000 on the room. There may be exceptions, but not too many.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

My premise is simply that someone with a $7500 or $10,000 system is not going to spend $5000 on the room. There may be exceptions, but not too many.

+1.
Pity, that same someone could and would probably get a better bang for their buck IF they put the larger part of their budget into the room acoustics.
I was talking to a dealer friend a couple of days ago...we got to talking about room acoustics and why his room was NOT treated. While my friend agreed that room acoustic treatments were HIGHLY
important and desirable, he mentioned something that was a bit of an eye opener. He told me that people do NOT want to put anything on their walls except pictures...plus, since most people will NOT entertain the idea
of acoustic treatments, he feels that his display room should be as natural as possible and therefore be a typical indicator of what the average a'phile's room will sound like with the gear that he demo's. Therefore, NO room acoustic treatments of ANY kind.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Should we take it Myles , then, that a good room is not a requisite to judge equipment of the highest quality?

Now who's creating a strawman argument? And I've heard lousy systems in "great rooms" and great systems in less than optimal rooms. So what does that mean? Maybe it comes down to the ear of the person setting up the system?

I am simply pointing out fallacious reasoning.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I've recently moved to a much different environment, don't have the dedicated room per say anymore ... and acoustic treatments are something I'm currently dealing with.

So tell me how many of your so favored ne plus ultra high-end manufacturers evaluate their equipment in acoustician approved rooms?

Well, I know my speakers were "voiced" in the nations best acoustic lab for monitoring work at the CBC, and few considered these speakers "ultra" high end, even in the early 90's, even tho they retailed for just over 2K. Still plenty good enough that UHF mag currently use their old "reference" pair for HT review purposes. That said, even Gerald would admit that my pair are significantly more refined, while still keeping with original intent of the pro 22.

Kinda makes me wonder what a speaker requires to be "ultra high end" these days ... proprietary drivers, a smart xover, superb bracing, great amps, even better sources ... perhaps all the above ... ?

tb1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing