Pure Pleasure or Mobile Fidelity?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have lots of Mofi's, Classics, Rhino's, Speakers Corner, Cisco's, A&M+ and others, but have never purchased a Pure Pleasure product. I want to buy the s/t debut of Keb' Mo', and it's available from both Pure Pleasure and Mobile Fidelity. Does anyone have either or both of these? And, if so, could you share your impressions? If not, maybe you could give me a few words as to your experience with Pure Pleasure pressings.

Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If this applies to the 2 mastering companies producing on CD...I am also interested by people's findings. I have Keb Mo on MFSL CD. Great album.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have a number of Pure Pleasure recordings- they are high quality pressings in the sense that I don't think I've had any quality control problems. They are very good sonically, although Myles will tell you that they have a slightly bright aspect which he attributes to DMM mastering (though they are nothing like the early DMMs which had a strong 'bite'- these are not nearly as strident but the 'air' in the recording is not 'warm'- yet I don't find the records to sound overly analytical or the instruments themselves to sound too bright; this may be system dependent to a degree). I think I have the Keb Mo on vinyl, I will have to check which one (it is probably the PP, not the MoFi) and report back but since I don't have copies on both labels, I can't give you a comparo.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I only have one Pure Pleasure reissue- Charles Mingus' Mingus Dynasty double LP. It sounds very good to me, but it is a touch on the cool side; still better than the original 6-eye Columbia stereo. But that is probably because the original Columbia tried to fit too much music on a single record.

One thing I've been reticent about is I can't imagine the majors are sending master tapes to Europe.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Lloyd - I have the MFSL SACD and it sounds really good on my system.

Bill - If you do have the PP then any opinion you have of it would be most welcomed.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I only have one Pure Pleasure reissue- Charles Mingus' Mingus Dynasty double LP. It sounds very good to me, but it is a touch on the cool side; still better than the original 6-eye Columbia stereo. But that is probably because the original Columbia tried to fit too much music on a single record.

One thing I've been reticent about is I can't imagine the majors are sending master tapes to Europe.

That's exactly what I've been asking with no replies!!! What tapes are PP and Speaker's Corner using to cut these reissues? As far as the Keb Mo, it doesn't make a lot of difference since it was a digital recording IIRC.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have a number of Pure Pleasure recordings- they are high quality pressings in the sense that I don't think I've had any quality control problems. They are very good sonically, although Myles will tell you that they have a slightly bright aspect which he attributes to DMM mastering (though they are nothing like the early DMMs which had a strong 'bite'- these are not nearly as strident but the 'air' in the recording is not 'warm'- yet I don't find the records to sound overly analytical or the instruments themselves to sound too bright; this may be system dependent to a degree). I think I have the Keb Mo on vinyl, I will have to check which one (it is probably the PP, not the MoFi) and report back but since I don't have copies on both labels, I can't give you a comparo.

I also find the Q/C of the PP to be extremely variable. I've had them come with scratches, groove narrowing, etc. and yes the PP have a real and overpowering sonic signature. There's just a lack of info, be it due to DMM, later gen tapes, etc. it worked with something like Lightnin' Hopkins where the original tape is slightly on the dark side. But what I'm curious about is that the original and very early stereo tape has some hiss, and there's none on the LP. Did they de-hiss it too?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's exactly what I've been asking with no replies!!! What tapes are PP and Speaker's Corner using to cut these reissues? As far as the Keb Mo, it doesn't make a lot of difference since it was a digital recording IIRC.

The SC's I have sound terrific, but I have no idea what masters they used. I'll tell you this, if they are digital, then give me more.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I also find the Q/C of the PP to be extremely variable. I've had them come with scratches, groove narrowing, etc. and yes the PP have a real and overpowering sonic signature. There's just a lack of info, be it due to DMM, later gen tapes, etc. it worked with something like Lightnin' Hopkins where the original tape is slightly on the dark side. But what I'm curious about is that the original and very early stereo tape has some hiss, and there's none on the LP. Did they de-hiss it too?

I take it your opinion would be to go with the MFSL?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I have the Pure Pleasure release of this LP that I purchased a few years ago. The overall sound is pretty good and somewhat warmer sounding than the MoFi version. I did a very brief comparison of this to the MoFi version owned by a friend a few months ago. The MoFi version had some characteristics (a little more energy in the upper midrange and up) I liked and some other characteristics not so much.

The music is good on both recordings so you can't really go wrong with either selection. There was nothing on either releases that would cause me to caution you on a purchase.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I take it your opinion would be to go with the MFSL?

?

Tell you this though. The recording doesn't sound remotely like him live. Not to mention the bass guitar parts.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The SC's I have sound terrific, but I have no idea what masters they used. I'll tell you this, if they are digital, then give me more.

John I was only referring to the Keb Mo that was a digital recording.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have the Pure Pleasure release of this LP that I purchased a few years ago. The overall sound is pretty good and somewhat warmer sounding than the MoFi version. I did a very brief comparison of this to the MoFi version owned by a friend a few months ago. The MoFi version had some characteristics (a little more energy in the upper midrange and up) I liked and some other characteristics not so much.

The music is good on both recordings so you can't really go wrong with either selection. There was nothing on either releases that would cause me to caution you on a purchase.

Dre

Thank you Dre! I think I may just go ahead and get the PP reissue since I don't have any. If I like it, then I'll look and see what else I might like from them. I'm addiing to my basket, along with EJ-Yellow Brick Road from SC, which I hear is supposed to be outstanding.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thank you Dre! I think I may just go ahead and get the PP reissue since I don't have any. If I like it, then I'll look and see what else I might like from them. I'm addiing to my basket, along with EJ-Yellow Brick Road from SC, which I hear is supposed to be outstanding.

Liked music but the sound didn't blow me away.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
?

Tell you this though. The recording doesn't sound remotely like him live. Not to mention the bass guitar parts.

I'm hoping to see him if he ever comes to Toronto. In the meantime the SACD and LP will have to suffice.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

according to the Chadster, if they're sony's tapes (for instance) and on the east coast they go to marino, if the tapes reside on the west coast they go to bernie, kevin or sax. if the tapes reside in europe they go to pallas, etc.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm hoping to see him if he ever comes to Toronto. In the meantime the SACD and LP will have to suffice.

He is great live, lot's of charisma, great all around performer. His song 'Dangerous Mood' is a great blues piece, unfortunately, as far as I know, it was never released on vinyl.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I have lots of pure pleasure vinyl myself , not had any complaints on sound quality
www.snvinyl.co.uk

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have lots of pure pleasure vinyl myself , not had any complaints on sound quality
www.snvinyl.co.uk

I'm about to find out as the LP's were delivered yesterday. I wasn't home though, so I'll be picking them up this morning from the post office. I really, really dig that Keb'Mo' release, so this will be a real treat!:D

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I wish PP wouldn't shrink wrap their jackets like a lot of other EU labels, loose bags w/ the perforated openings are superior. and what's up with the extra security seal over the inner sleeve...PIA. gripes aside, I just got my mary black "no frontiers" and its a def better than the linn selekt 2nd press I have.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing