NY
I have a few of their recordings.

They are spectacular.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Bizet and Elgar CD's are supposedly also going to be released as SACD's sometime; I'd rather wait :(

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The Bizet and Elgar CD's are supposedly also going to be released as SACD's sometime; I'd rather wait :(

Released sometime?? Live a little now. It won't even break the piggy bank.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have a bunch of the old ones- they were sonically very neutral, not warm, but the better my system has gotten, the better these sound. Are the current ones similar in sonics? Is this still a Keith Johnson? enterprise? I seem to remember that he was behind this, with Spectral gear, etc. I haven't listened to these records in a while; the Three Penny Opera one was great; didn't he do the Nojima Plays Liszt and one other Nojima? I think I might even have some Monk-based stuff, I'm gonna have to dig all these out.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I have a bunch of the old ones- they were sonically very neutral, not warm, but the better my system has gotten, the better these sound. Are the current ones similar in sonics? Is this still a Keith Johnson? enterprise? I seem to remember that he was behind this, with Spectral gear, etc. I haven't listened to these records in a while; the Three Penny Opera one was great; didn't he do the Nojima Plays Liszt and one other Nojima? I think I might even have some Monk-based stuff, I'm gonna have to dig all these out.

they were recorded digitally at 176.4/24 and transfered to vinyl. i asked jan mancuso about that at the Newport show, suposedly Prof johnson says the vinyl transfer has greater dynamic range (?) and is the format to get. fwiw, i think the doug macloed is spectacular, i do have a soft spot for their early all-analog LPs like three way mirror w/ arito, serendipity and dafos among others.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

you mean HDCD which is available now, prof johnson dislikes DSD and nowadays only records in PCM.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
you mean HDCD which is available now, prof johnson dislikes DSD and nowadays only records in PCM.

I thought you can get RR files at 176/24?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I thought you can get RR files at 176/24?

i have a couple HRx discs. the sacd has got to be a concession for those that want that format. what would be the point of a converted pcm recording when the HRx discs exists, thats if you're into computer audio.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Only some RR titles are available on HRx discs, just as only some are SACD. When both are available, the SACD is generally available for about 1/3 of the price and often has multi-channel sound as well.

As far as the Elgar and Bizet recordings to which I referred earlier, I recall RR's own website saying they were coming in SACD, but I could be mistaken...

edit: definitely true for the Elgar. The Bizet isn't yet released, so I don't know for sure, but I suspect it will be true for it as well.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
they were recorded digitally at 176.4/24 and transfered to vinyl. i asked jan mancuso about that at the Newport show, suposedly Prof johnson says the vinyl transfer has greater dynamic range (?) and is the format to get...
Whcih of course makes no sense unless the vinyl pressing is adding euphonic artifacts...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Whcih of course makes no sense unless the vinyl pressing is adding euphonic artifacts...

How can euphonics add dynamic range?I think KOJ knows more than a little about his recordings and equipment.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Well. let's see: an LP, which has to go through two more transducer steps to be played on your system than the PCM master from which it is made, or that PCM master itself. Which will sound "better"? If it's the LP, it can only be through added colorations. I think KOJ was misquoted; he was likely referring to comparing the LP to the HDCD CD.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
they were recorded digitally at 176.4/24 and transfered to vinyl. i asked jan mancuso about that at the Newport show, suposedly Prof johnson says the vinyl transfer has greater dynamic range (?) .

KOJ has stated more than a few times that vinyl has a DR of >120dB, which I tend to disagree with. But who am I ???

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well. let's see: an LP, which has to go through two more transducer steps to be played on your system than the PCM master from which it is made, or that PCM master itself. Which will sound "better"? If it's the LP, it can only be through added colorations. I think KOJ was misquoted; he was likely referring to comparing the LP to the HDCD CD.

Well we really don't know what goes on at the digital end do we? That article in Stereophile a while back talked about some digital releases undergoing seven conversions. So how close is that?

That aside I wasn't talking about sounding better; I was simply referring to your statement that colorations increased the dynamic range and was wondering how that happened?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Well we really don't know what goes on at the digital end do we? That article in Stereophile a while back talked about some digital releases undergoing seven conversions. So how close is that?

That aside I wasn't talking about sounding better; I was simply referring to your statement that colorations increased the dynamic range and was wondering how that happened?
In the same way that conversion to LP increased the dynamic range :confused:

For that matter, I'm not sure how the LP could have greater dynamic range than even the HDCD unless there are different masterings.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
In the same way that conversion to LP increased the dynamic range :confused:

For that matter, I'm not sure how the LP could have greater dynamic range than even the HDCD unless there are different masterings.

Huh how is that possible?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Or the DAC used to drive the vinyl lathe is much better sounding with these recordings than the one you are using at home ...

Audiophiles should be imaginative - we look for an illusion!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing