Australian Politics

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So what is the back story behind this video? Dave Jones usually does technical videos but once in a while, rants about other topics. In this case, Australia's next election.

Is he off the mark or on point?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Internet, faster speed downloads, fiber optic, Australian government, senate, careful voting, future in 50 years, communication, better world, you and I, and all that continental jazz.

* What is the Australian government's take on the Syrian situation?

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
I watched 45 seconds of this dribble and that was too much. The current Labour government here could not run a chook raffle without it costing 4000 x the estimated price. Everything they try to do is a f**king disaster as their costing and organisational skills are non existent. They have turned Australia from a debt free country to a country borrowing 30 million dollars a day in just six short years and they have the gall to tell us this is how economic management is done. If these dcikheads are returned to power it will be a miracle it would also be monumental stupidity by the Australian voter (this is not unheard of).
As for Syria The Aussie government will do the same as you guys...You had to stop and think what might happen if you threaten Russia's oil supplies didn't you.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
its about gas this time;

The Arabic newspaper Al-Akhbar cites information according to which there is a plan approved by the U.S. government to create a new pipeline for transporting gas from Qatar to Europe involving Turkey and Israel. The capacity of such a pipeline is not mentioned, but considering the resources of the Persian Gulf and Eastern Mediterranean region, it could exceed that of both the Islamic Pipeline and Nabucco, directly challenging Russia’s South Stream. The main developer of this project is Frederick Hoff, who is «in charge of gas issues in the Levant» and a member of the U.S. «Syrian Crisis Committee». This new pipeline is to begin in Qatar, cross Saudi territory and then the territory of Jordan, thus bypassing Shiite Iraq, and reach Syria. Near Homs the pipeline is to branch in three directions: to Latakia, Tripoli in northern Lebanon, and Turkey

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-ge...ction-of-iran-iraq-syria-gas-pipeline/5337452

Syria has little oil, in the back.

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Well. Poor ol Dave Jones will have to put up with his second rate internet speed poor bugger as his beloved Labour government have been told to **** off by the Australian voters. Optical Fibre connection for every Australian? What bullshit. Have you seen how big this place is and how spread out the regional areas are. This was never going to happen anyway.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Nice to see you here, Graham :)

I'm glad to see Labor get it up the arse. The National Broadband Network (NBN) would have cost between $AUD$40b - AUD$90b - divided by 7.8m households, that would cost each household between $5,100 - $11,500 depending on which figure you believe. Of course, they are smart enough not to slug every household with a compulsory connection fee of several thousand dollars - they are taking it from general tax revenue, but the effect is the same. Note, this is EVERY household - even a granny who does not own a computer, and who can't program her VCR will still get an NBN connection.

It is a colossal waste of money. Idiots like this guy think that money grows on trees. If he thinks fast broadband is so important, there is nothing to stop him from paying for his own fibre connection. But he is a typical freeloader who thinks that "the government" is paying for it, as if the government is not funded by taxpayers.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Does this mean we can also discuss US politics on WBF now?

Nope. U.S. politics are off-limits on this forum. But since Amir started this thread, it's open season to discuss Australian politics. :D

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Does this mean we can also discuss US politics on WBF now?
It all depends on whether you all start killing each other like we do when our politics is discussed :D.

Seriously, I was just interested in getting educated a bit. I did not even know there was an election there let alone the dislike of the current party. Thought it would be good for us (in US) to learn a bit about what is going on in your country.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Hopefully, the newly elected party in Australia will have the good sense not to write worthless checks. That is impossible with our current parties in the US. In fact, the only thing that either of our worthless parties knows how to do properly is write worthless checks. :D

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
To understand the context of the election you need to go back to 2007.
That was the year that the Liberal ("Liberal" is a misnomer, Tory is more accurate) party which had been in government for 11 years under John Howard (Australia's second longest serving prime minister) was swept out of office by the Labor party under Kevin Rudd.

Rudd was hugely popular and came in with great hope. History will probably look back on some of his achievements very favourably (please note Amir, that what I will say will probably be vociferously argued against !) - he delivered a long awaited apology to the Aboriginal People, he signed Kyoto, he dismantled some very unpopular workplace legislation and he delivered a stimulus package that meant Australia stayed out of recession throughout the GFC

He attempted and failed to introduce a "super profits" tax on the mining industry and after this his popularity plummeted. So much so that he was dumped by his party and replace by Julia Gillard - Australia's first female prime minister. This was the beginning of years of poisonous infighting within the Labor party. Gillard took the party to a hung parliament at the next election and Labor clung onto power in a minority government in coalition with the Greens and a rabble of independent MPs

Gillard suffered a sustained, sexist attack from the shock jocks and the Abbott led Liberal party, culminating in her famous misogyny speech http://media.smh.com.au/news/national-times/julia-gillards-misogyny--speech-in-full-3701787.html

With her popularity falling Rudd mounted a challenge on the leadership and was defeated. Instead of going away, he continued to undermine Gillard until eventually in June this year there was yet another spill and Gillard was dumped in favour of Rudd.

In all of this, Tony Abbott - a right wing loony - sat cleverly by on the sidelines waiting for Labor to implode which they have just done.

Some examples of the stuff that our new Prime Minister has said

What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up.”

"Sh* t happens"
On the death of an Australian soldier in Afghanistan

There may not be a great job for [aboriginal people] but whatever there is, they just have to do it... And if it's picking up rubbish around the community, it just has to be done."

I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons

"The argument [behind climate change] is absolute crap. However, the politics of this are tough for us. Eighty per cent of people believe climate change is a real and present danger."

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
"That was the year that the Liberal ("Liberal" is a misnomer, Tory is more accurate) party which had been in government for 11 years under John Howard (Australia's second longest serving prime minister) was swept out of office by the Labor party under Kevin Rudd".

Ahhh No quite right there. The liberals had the numbers to govern but only if the jumped into bed with the greens and the independents which they refused to do. The gutless labour party formed government with these ratbags (yes they were not voted in under their own right). Rudd and Gillard promised the Greens and the independents the earth and then proceeded to F*ck them over nearly as bad as they did the Australian people.

"he delivered a stimulus package that meant Australia stayed out of recession throughout the GFC"
What Bullshit. He simply spent the previous Governments hard earned savings on NOTHING. He gave huge amounts of money to low income earners who basically
pissed it up the wall or spent the money on a new plasma TV's. Nice stimulus package for the Chinese economy IMHO.

Huge amounts were spent on useless projects and the waste was monumental.

And just to put Rudd's achievements into context he was so good at what he did that he led one of the shortest lived government's in Australian history and he will not be remembered for much of anything excepting his poorly conceived and implemented half arsed policies (that were all mostly scrapped at any rate) that took Australia from a position of surplus left by the liberals to huge debt.
He shat on his own party was kicked out then spent all his time denigrating and dividing the party against the new leader while swearing on several occasions that he would not challenge for the prime minister position. Ten seconds late he is back in the position of prime minister as the party now thinks he is the only hope to limit the damage from the pending election. Well you must admire the character and the backbone of the man, he concedes defeat and then says to his party he will not be leading them in opposition. This guy just pisses on everyone from a great height and expects everyone to lap it up. I for one will be glad never to hear of the prick again.

With any luck our new government will be able to rescue us from some of the damage, but I fear that the previous dcikheads have left our country in such a sorry state that six years will barley be enough time to get us back out of debt.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
"That was the year that the Liberal ("Liberal" is a misnomer, Tory is more accurate) party which had been in government for 11 years under John Howard (Australia's second longest serving prime minister) was swept out of office by the Labor party under Kevin Rudd".

Ahhh No quite right there. The liberals had the numbers to govern but only if the jumped into bed with the greens and the independents which they refused to do. The gutless labour party formed government with these ratbags (yes they were not voted in under their own right). Rudd and Gillard promised the Greens and the independents the earth and then proceeded to F*ck them over nearly as bad as they did the Australian people.

Care to check your facts?
I'll give you a clue, which election did Rudd win?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yeah funny thing that. No Disrespect Amirm but WE in Australia CERTAINLY KNOW when there is a US election on regardless of if we have any interest in it or not.
That's because you have "real news" as opposed to the 100% commercially motivated ones we have here. I listen to news everyday and have a newspaper app on my phone/tablet which I also read every day. I don't recall a single story about Australia whatsoever. Here, they cater to what sells ads and what they think Americans like to know about. When I travel overseas, I am immediately shocked by the broad coverage of the world in their TV and English newspapers.

As you can imagine, I don't like this situation. Hence this thread for me to get educated a bit about what is going on and hopefully for others reading it. To that end, the posts have been informative.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing