Sony, Universal and Warner to offer High-res download

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Pretty interesting move.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...y-new-high-resolution-audio-products/2762773/

Sony debuts new line of high-resolution audio products

Sony is turning up the volume on high resolution music.

The electronics company introduced a new line of products, coming this fall, that process and play a variety of high-resolution music formats including new Direct Stream Digital (DSD) downloads.

Several music companies including Sony, Universal and Warner pledged to support the movement with added high-res releases. Among the artists with music preloaded on new Sony products: Miles Davis (So What), Willie Nelson (Georgia on My Mind), Aretha Franklin (Baby, I Love You) and the Beach Boys (Good Vibrations).

Newer releases from artists including Sting, John Mayer and Sheryl Crow will be among the 20 high-res tracks pre-loaded on two new Sony high-res music players due out this fall. Also coming: a digital-to-analog converter for connecting computer-based music libraries to home stereos, new high-res speakers and headphones.

Sony and the labels hope to attract consumers with downloadable music that improves on MP3 and other compressed formats. High-res downloads can surpass CD-quality sound and deliver a vinyl-like listening experience.

"It's been more than a decade since the first MP3 digital downloads and music players were introduced to the public," said Sony president and COO Phil Molyneux in a statement released in conjunction with the Wednesday announcement. "Now is the time to offer high-resolution audio products that bring music enthusiasts closer to their favorite recordings, and allow them to experience those recordings the way the artists, producers and engineers always intended."

Consumers have a growing interest in high-resolution music, Molyneux said, citing new data from new data from the Consumer Electronics Association. For nine in ten consumers, sound quality is the most important component of a quality audio experience, research suggests. And nearly 40% of consumers with a moderate interest in audio say they are willing to pay more for high quality audio electronics devices.

The Sony HAP-Z1ES 1TB Hi-Res Music Player has a built-in 1 terabyte hard drive to store, play back and decode virtually all Hi-Res audio formats.(Photo: Sony Electronics)

That's good, because the new products from Sony are premium-priced. The 1-Terabyte Sony Hi-Res HDD Music Player (model number HAP-Z1ES) is priced at $1,999 and due this fall. In addition to handling nearly all high-res formats it also upscales music to DSD quality. You can sync music from your PC via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and then play it directly from the music player over your home stereo.

A lower-priced Sony HAP-S1 Hi-Res Music Player System ($999) has similar capabilities, but sports only a 500-Gigabyte hard drive. For those who prefer to keep a computer as the center of their digital music system, the USB Hi-Res DAC System (UDA-1, $799) is a digital-to-analog converter that bridges your iTunes collection on a Windows or Macintosh PC to your sound system (other music software such as Windows Media Player is supported, too.)

Sony's UDA-1 USB Hi-Res Digital-to-Analog Converter System for PC Audio plays virtually all Hi-Res music formats.(Photo: Sony Electronics)
Two types of Hi-Res speakers (priced at $599 and $399 per pair) are due in the fall along with the other product releases, as are three types of headphones, starting at $199. For more information go to Sony's Hi-Res Music site.

This isn't the first time that Sony and record labels have supported high-res music. A decade ago, the Super Audio CD, developed by Sony and Phillips, and the DVD-Audio Disc battled it out with neither one gaining victory. However, the SACD technology called DSD (Direct Stream Digital) is still used for processing recordings to make high-res downloads.

Compared to CD, DSD uses a higher sampling rate of the original to produce an improved recording. "It gives us back what we lost when we went to digital in the early 80's," said Gus Skinas of the Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colo., in an email interview. "Even if the source for a DSD file is an analog tape master (that has not gone through a digital process), the feel you get when listening is like listening to analog tape."

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Can the $1999.00 model actually play back native DSD files?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

michael123

Nov 17, 2011

Yes. The question is if the files are indeed worth that and the rest of the audio system can benefit from the extra information.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Accordding to Sony press release, it plays MP3, DSD (up to 5,6 MHz), DSF, FLAC, WMA, ALAC, ATRAC and AIFF.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sony and the labels hope to attract consumers with downloadable music that improves on MP3 and other compressed formats. High-res downloads can surpass CD-quality sound and deliver a vinyl-like listening experience.

OMG! USA Today has been assimilated! Invasion has begun!

Kidding aside, Sony owns a record company. They could do a lot more good if they'd just stop butchering mastering. If they just release DSD downloads of the same squashed, hyped crap, they'll do no good at all.

Tim

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Sony has a history of introducing new products and promoting them very badly (e.g.; Betamax, DSD/SACD). IMO if SACD's had been promoted totally as hybrid to completely replace RBCD production, it would have succeeded at least as well at the CD format. Although I believe Sony is still making money collecting exorbitant license fees from record labels producing SACD's. They appear to be a consumer product company interested primarily in maximizing profit at the expensive of innovation.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sony has a history of introducing new products and promoting them very badly (e.g.; Betamax, DSD/SACD). IMO if SACD's had been promoted totally as hybrid to completely replace RBCD production, it would have succeeded at least as well at the CD format. Although I believe Sony is still making money collecting exorbitant license fees from record labels producing SACD's. They appear to be a consumer product company interested primarily in maximizing profit at the expensive of innovation.

Wow. CD. SACD. DVD. They invented or co-invented the three dominant media formats of the last 40 years and, evidently, promoted them very badly. Yet they managed to "maximize profit at the expense of innovation?" I guess I'll have to respectfully disagree, but just out of curiosity, what would you consider an innovation?

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I forgot Blu-ray. Co-invented the four dominant media formats of the last 40 years.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Co-invented with Philips on all counts. So yeah, the innovation was certainly there. However, today they are but a shadow of their former selves (Sony that is).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow. CD. SACD. DVD. They invented or co-invented the three dominant media formats of the last 40 years and, evidently, promoted them very badly. Yet they managed to "maximize profit at the expense of innovation?" I guess I'll have to respectfully disagree, but just out of curiosity, what would you consider an innovation?

Tim
They had nothing to do with DVD Tim. That was Toshiba's invention. Sony and Philips tried to fight it with MMCD which had half to one third the capacity and lost the battle and had to capitulate and adopt DVD.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sony = Triniton, Betamax, SACD, Blu-ray. ...Plus all their proprietary connections & accessories (pain in the butt). ...Cameras, etc.
...Extensions for the monopoly of the market (money power, and zillions of suits against them because they love to steal other's ideas and innovations).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Betamax lost because of the adult video industry.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We should separate the creative invention from the establishment of standards. IMHO the real invention behind these systems was the reflective optical disk, first carrying analog information, later digital information.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
They had nothing to do with DVD Tim. That was Toshiba's invention. Sony and Philips tried to fight it with MMCD which had half to one third the capacity and lost the battle and had to capitulate and adopt DVD.

Are you sure about that Amir? I thought it was a cooperative effort between Sony, Philips, Toshiba and Panasonic, albeit through compromise with Video CD and MMCD. To say they had nothing to do with it in incorrect IMO.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Are you sure about that Amir? I thought it was a cooperative effort between Sony, Philips, Toshiba and Panasonic, albeit through compromise with Video CD and MMCD. To say they had nothing to do with it in incorrect IMO.
I am absolutely sure. My partner, Warren Lieberfarb is credited with being the "father of DVD." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Lieberfarb The inside stories have never been told in public and hence the misconception you mention. There was a format war and they lost. Token IP was allowed to put in by them for face saving purposes and seat on the DVD Forum board. Now, Sony and Philips have underlying patents for optical recording but they were not the designers of DVD. Toshiba was.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am absolutely sure. My partner, Warren Lieberfarb is credited with being the "father of DVD." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Lieberfarb The inside stories have never been told in public and hence the misconception you mention. There was a format war and they lost. Token IP was allowed to put in by them for face saving purposes and seat on the DVD Forum board. Now, Sony and Philips have underlying patents for optical recording but they were not the designers of DVD. Toshiba was.

Thanks Amir!

One thing that always kinda confused me was that Philips, despite their innovation in audio, never took it to the consumer level with products of their own. Seems like most people only know them for products that are non-audio related.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I forgot Blu-ray. Co-invented the four dominant media formats of the last 40 years.

Tim

What I meant by "at the expense of innovation" was most if not all of those innovations could have been executed much better than they were. CD's sounded pretty bad for the most part from initial market release until the late 90's, they abandoned SACD (except for the licensing fees), Blu-ray should have dominated by now but it hasn't probably because of licensing fees. IMO Sony promoted them badly while maximizing profits from licensing fees - we will have to agree to disagree.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
One thing that always kinda confused me was that Philips, despite their innovation in audio, never took it to the consumer level with products of their own. Seems like most people only know them for products that are non-audio related.

While Philips was never very big in the US (and mostly used the Marantz brand there), they were definitely one of the major consumer players in Europe. Originally radios and TV's, then compact cassette recorders and stereo systems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing