Speaker Set up- the most important thing in audio!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
As a long time audio veteran and someone who loves to tinker I believe this is the most misunderstood part of the audio world. I have been to hundreds of installations and I am never shocked to see all this wonderful gear driving a pair of speakers that are not even close to being positioned correctly. This is one of my main reasons for not taking shows seriously and why a dealers showroom can really only have a limited amount of good sounding items. It takes time and you need to be meticulous. I alos believe this is why the review process is seriously flawed. If the speaker is not placed properly how can anything upstream be reviewed or seriously evaluated?

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
Too bad they didn't take measurements with and without the room treatments.

If the reviewer took measurements, why weren’t they published?

This is the most linear we could get my Mira's. The listening position is actually closer than where I choose to normally sit. A few feet further back gives me a bit more low end, but there is a bit more of a dip at 200Hz.

The article wasn't about measurements- its about taking the time to properly dial a speaker in. An issue the originator of this thread brought up to begin with. People spend tons of money trying to improve their system and never take the time to do something that is free- position their speakers in the right spots.

Attachments

• in-room1..doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
Nice! Would you mind describing which Real Traps products you're using? I recognise the RFZ Panels, I'm not sure whether the others are Mini Traps or Mondos.

Thanks

Yes, there are 4 Mondo traps, two RZP panels, and four Mini Traps. I did a review with Ethan a few years back and purchased the review samples. Ethan was great to work with and I may get in touch with him soon for additional advice. The room is still a touch live and I will start to address that over the next few months.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Thanks

Yes, there are 4 Mondo traps, two RZP panels, and four Mini Traps. I did a review with Ethan a few years back and purchased the review samples. Ethan was great to work with and I may get in touch with him soon for additional advice. The room is still a touch live and I will start to address that over the next few months.

Thanks. Presumably, the four Mondos are behind your speakers and in the rear corner, while the Mini Traps are attached to your side walls?

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
yes, each Mondo trap is in a corner and the four Mini Traps are hung along the side wall. I may look into another RZP on the back wall over the door and perhaps a bit more bass trapping elsewhere in the room. The imaging and soundstage depth of this setup is really nice. Moving to a dedicated room has been quite a treat, although I do not think I use the system as much as I did when it was in the living room.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
This is the most linear we could get my Mira's. The listening position is actually closer than where I choose to normally sit. A few feet further back gives me a bit more low end, but there is a bit more of a dip at 200Hz.

The article wasn't about measurements- its about taking the time to properly dial a speaker in. An issue the originator of this thread brought up to begin with. People spend tons of money trying to improve their system and never take the time to do something that is free- position their speakers in the right spots.

I totally agree Randal. I see so many systems where the speakers are just dropped in some spot for some reason other than that is the right place. It takes time and skill to listen and get them right. I dont know why most audiophiles don't bother to learn more before they spend more!

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
No, didn't measure the room before the room treatments were installed. Jeff Fritz had the microphone and he lives almost an hour away from me, so I didn't want to wait for him to visit before I install my system into the room. Sorry it didn't work out that I was able to measure the room before and after, but thats how it worked out. In fact, I had no idea Jeff was going to write the article until after it was written.

Attachments

• in-room1..doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 126

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Speaker set up IS very important. My first really High End Speakers Audio Artistry Bethoveen (dipole, with sep subs) was a nigthmare. It took hours to fin adjust (wihin millimeters) for at truly spectaculare sound. A small touch on the speaker and the sound fell apart. My present 160kg each Silverline Grande La Folia is not so sensitive. But they must be placed well out in the room. Not so WAF!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing