Audio Blu-Ray

chumlie

Jul 7, 2013
Thank you for the tip. That's the sort of thing I was talking about. Concert/live BDs can be fun, sure, but I'm primarily interested in studio recordings. Albums. FWIW, before staring this thread, I went though every BD listing in "music" on Amazon.

Supertramp's Breakfast In America is now available in Blu-Ray audio at Amazon UK

chumlie

Jul 7, 2013
Nice, thanks for the tip!

Derek & The Dominoes also at Amazon UK. Some killer titles at Amazon Germany (Amazon.de) available for pre-order.
Nirvana: Nevermind & In Utero
Supertramp: Crime of the Century
Rolling Stones: Exile On Main Street
Queen: A Night At The Opera

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Blu-ray Pure Audio Disc | Music Direct

* But at $30 a pop not everyone (me included) is going to replace their Hybrid Multichannel SACDs.
Or invest in these genres (Rock/Pop) and expensive medium instead of better genres (Classical) and cheaper/better mediums.
This is just another niche market. ...Overpriced too. ...I'd rather do some hi-res downloading.

*** 5,000 years from now you'll be able to buy Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of The Moon on a wireless/invisible (transparent) disc, made of pure invisible titanium, encoded/remastered at 72,688-Bits/3,666Billions kHz, and for only $3,000,000 (at that time that would represent about twenty-five cents). ...Multichannel (884.64-channel). ...Wireless and speakerless (virtual reality).

chumlie

Jul 7, 2013
True enough, but there are a few ( me included ) that will buy a few select titles just for the 5.1 mix. ''Close To The Edge'' being one of them.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Blu-ray Pure Audio Disc | Music Direct

* But at $30 a pop not everyone (me included) is going to replace their Hybrid Multichannel SACDs.
Or invest in these genres (Rock/Pop) and expensive medium instead of better genres (Classical) and cheaper/better mediums.
This is just another niche market. ...Overpriced too. ...I'd rather do some hi-res downloading.

*** 5,000 years from now you'll be able to buy Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of The Moon on a wireless/invisible (transparent) disc, made of pure invisible titanium, encoded/remastered at 72,688-Bits/3,666Billions kHz, and for only $3,000,000 (at that time that would represent about twenty-five cents). ...Multichannel (884.64-channel). ...Wireless and speakerless (virtual reality).

I wouldn't replace an SACD or DVD-A with a BD-A disc either, unless someone said that it does indeed sound superior, and it's an album I feel is worth double-dipping on.

On a more personal note, I do wish that you wouldn't constantly minimize or reject music from the Rock/Pop genre. No genre is better than another.....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
True enough, but there are a few ( me included ) that will buy a few select titles just for the 5.1 mix. ''Close To The Edge'' being one of them.

1. How many more copies (versions) of Yes - Close to the Edge do you truly need?
2. After all these years are you not into something else; music genre wise?
3. In your pre/pro (SSP) or AV receiver you can use the Dolby Pro Logic II (or IIx for 7.1) Music audio mode with any stereo music you already have, and from any medium. It's the best 5.1 music surround processing. ...And it's free (already included in your gear).

* John, :p :D

chumlie

Jul 7, 2013
1. How many more copies (versions) of Yes - Close to the Edge do you truly need?
2. After all these years are you not into something else; music genre wise?
3. In your pre/pro (SSP) or AV receiver you can use the Dolby Pro Logic II (or IIx for 7.1) Music audio mode with any stereo music you already have, and from any medium. It's the best 5.1 music surround processing. ...And it's free (already included in your gear).

* John, :p :D

1) 4
2) No
3) I don't think so

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
3. In your pre/pro (SSP) or AV receiver you can use the Dolby Pro Logic II (or IIx for 7.1) Music audio mode with any stereo music you already have, and from any medium. It's the best 5.1 music surround processing

Bob
I see you can't help yourself.
It's processed. Never as good as discrete, certainly to my ears. Its an educated guess. Not exactly a good analogy but your thinking implies why buy BR's, upscaling should be sufficient. H/W does it, you have already paid for it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob
I see you can't help yourself.
It's processed. Never as good as discrete, certainly to my ears. Its an educated guess. Not exactly a good analogy but your thinking implies why buy BR's, upscaling should be sufficient. H/W does it, you have already paid for it.

I knew it! I knew that someone would just say that. :b

But then, discrete; what is it? ...It's the choice made by a recording/mixing engineer working perhaps or not with the original artist(s) at recreating a surround mix by using a processed path from the original, or not, audio stems.

When you buy a discrete surround sound audio mix track from this medium or that one, you are mainly buying the music you like and that was mixed by someone with his own preference. ...The effect might be lasting or not at all.

And there, is the individual choice we all make, and according to the music we like, and its representation more or less accurate with the real live event.
And if it is a studio mix/recreation of the stereo track, or a manipulation of all the single tracks (guitar, drums, singer, bass, ...), even discrete; then everything and nothing goes.

If we are to explore new audio avenues, we are certainly not slave to other's decisions; we can do our own mixes ourselves with all the tools available now.
And it would be our own work, our own path's experience, and our own preference. ...Or not => then we can buy another one's mix, and find out if it strikes a chord inside.
And by doing so it is how we learn what we prefer more, and not.

I have great respect for Mono and Stereo people (I'm from the same era); and I also have great respect for surround sound mixers (it's fun and revealing dimensionally). ...Newer audio explorations in a more enveloping environment (fun over-the-top, or realistic like a good classical live concert in a good acoustic hall).

By the way, Dolby Pro Logic II Music is a pretty good audio process, with some smart people behind (Jim Fosgate).

Thing is, for a Blu-ray Audio only with a asking price of $30, I can see very clear the idea behind; and it ain't my idea of good times.
I know how better to spend my money in this audio surround world of ours.

But yeah, go ahead and suit yourself, while I can watch in hi-def and hear in hi-res a live music concert, or a great flick for less. ...Or more sometimes.
...And in discrete surround sound of course. :b

chumlie

Jul 7, 2013
High Fidelity Pure Audio – the Universal Music led initiative to reissue high resolution music physically on audio-only blu-ray discs – have announced that John Lennon’s 1971 album Imagine is to lead its next wave of releases.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
My own prediction: Blu-ray Audio only; it won't fly.

* Kal, what do you think?
I am skeptical about the survival of any physical medium, especially one that is in a niche market such as high-quality audio.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Not worth it unless they are remastering, otherwise like other albums in this series they will be using the most recent hires masterings, which in Genesis case (the 2007/2008 SACD's) are not so great.

They were more than remastered, they were remixed, and there likes the problem. Some of the albums, specially the first batch, got compressed beyond belief, and even on SACD, get quite uncomfortable to the ears.
I can imagine the same master, on PCM, will not help matters at all.

The way to appreciate those remixes are the vinyl versions, which are outstanding.

alexandre

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I am skeptical about the survival of any physical medium, especially one that is in a niche market such as high-quality audio.

Agreed. Only new physical format we may see is 4k video discs partly because the files are unwieldy to download for most, and partly because manufacturers want another device to sell. But I'd expect this to be niche products as well as most people are more than happy with bluray and HD downloads/streaming.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing