Audio Blu-Ray

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

Now that I own an Oppo 105, a whole world of silver/gold disk is open for consideration. I've been having a blast experimenting with different digital formats, which brings me to audio BD. I picked up Steven Wilson's ...Raven... and Neil Young's Americana (500 minute Rammstein 2BD is on its way). I'm very impressed with the sound. Musically, I kinda hate the Steven Wilson record and absolutely love Americana, but that's beside the point. I'd like to purchase more audio BDs. Which do you guys suggest?

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There really aren't very many I'm aware off, although the classical catalogue from Nordic 2L is superb. BD-Audio has wonderful potential, but like SACD.......there is no support from the labels. You could do a search at www.blu-ray.com , but I'm not sure how fruitful that exercise would be.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
One of the mistakes in design of Blu-ray was the mandatory requirement of AACS copy protection. This usually cost about $5,000. When you take into account that a niche title may sell 1000 units, that winds up being $5 per disc just for the copy protection which the author could care less about! So audio-only BDs never really got off the ground.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
...And to have only Audio on a Blu-ray format is like driving a car in mid air.

Music Concerts (Live) on Blu-ray Video are just fine, for now. :b ...And the selection keeps growing. :cool: ...Hi-res Audio & hi-def Video, together.
And the prices are reasonable too; between $15 and $30 (average $20). ...And after the release dates prices always come down after a certain time (from roughly $25 to $15).
Plus you have the option of a hi-res multichannel audio soundtrack (DTS-HD MA 5.1) and an uncompressed LPCM Stereo audio soundtrack. :cool:

And you also have some fantastic Music Documentaries too on Blu-ray (Video). ...With full music concert clips, and informative special features.
And as opposed to a CD or SACD, they have generally 90 to 120 minutes recorded on them (including Music concerts).

* SACDs (Hybrid with Multichannel audio layer track); some you can get for only ten dollars.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There are some excellent choices for music video on Bluray, often with exceptional sound, although unfortunately the audio format of choice is often 24/48 rather than 24/96 or 24/192. Pretty much all Sony Blurays are 24/48.

Just search Amazon for artists you like! Paul Simon, CSN, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Richard Thompson, Santana, Porcupine Tree, Return To Forever, Moody Blues, Yes, Jethro Tull...

Naxos has some excellent music-only Blurays as well as (classical) concert videos. Opera and Ballet are naturals for BD. A couple of music-only ones I like are the complete Schubert overtures and the Rossini overtures vol.1; in both cases nearly 2 hours of stereo and/or 5.1 hi-res music for under $20.

And nobody makes you watch the video portion if you don't want to; I'll often put my Oppo on Pure Audio after I've gotten the music started.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Psychedelic Pill is awesome on Blu-Ray Audio.

-- WEABR39972-Large.jpg

* Click on the above front picture ^ art cover for product info.
{Amazon.ca wants $37.55 for it! ...Amazon.com; $21 ...So, if you're Canadian Neil Young is twice as expensive! Thanks a lot Neil!}

Last edited:

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
One of the mistakes in design of Blu-ray was the mandatory requirement of AACS copy protection. This usually cost about $5,000. When you take into account that a niche title may sell 1000 units, that winds up being $5 per disc just for the copy protection which the author could care less about! So audio-only BDs never really got off the ground.

Very interesting. Thanks for the comment.

Psychedelic Pill is awesome on Blu-Ray.

Good to hear. I'll pick up a copy.

There are some excellent choices for music video on Bluray, often with exceptional sound, although unfortunately the audio format of choice is often 24/48 rather than 24/96 or 24/192. Pretty much all Sony Blurays are 24/48.

Just search Amazon for artists you like! Paul Simon, CSN, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Richard Thompson, Santana, Porcupine Tree, Return To Forever, Moody Blues, Yes, Jethro Tull...

[...]

And nobody makes you watch the video portion if you don't want to; I'll often put my Oppo on Pure Audio after I've gotten the music started.

Why didn't I think of this? Oh, wait....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And stuff like this (on Blu-ray Audio only) ::

-- 11657_large.jpg

* Click on it! ^

Why pay $21.73 (MSRP is $24.99) for 48/24 stereo (and 48/24 DTS-HD MA 5.1), with no video, no features, only 65 minutes, and no nothing else when the CD (44/16) is only $9.99?
This is a total waste of BD real estate! I just don't get it, there is no real value in this Blu-ray Audio.

No wonder this format is dead!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
And stuff like this (on Blu-ray Audio only) ::

-- View attachment 11572

* Click on it! ^

Why pay $21.73 (MSRP is $24.99) for 48/24 stereo (and 48/24 DTS-HD MA 5.1), with no video, no features, only 65 minutes, and no nothing else when the CD (44/16) is only $9.99?
This is a total waste of BD real estate! I just don't get it, there is no real value in this Blu-ray Audio.

No wonder this format is dead!

Assuming it's an apples to apples thing, I totally agree. OTOH, if the BD master isn't as compressed and is constructed to audiophile standards, it may well be worth the extra shekels. I looked at that record, BTW, and played the stream on Spotify. Liked 2 tracks. Not for me; I'll likely play the thing once, maybe twice. OTOH, I've been spinning Americana almost nonstop. What a record! And the sound is (errrr...) manly, to say the least.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

chumlie

Jul 7, 2013
Close To The Edge by Yes mixed by Steven Wilson looks pretty interesting coming next month. 5.1 DTS HD plus a bunch of other goodies, original mix from master tape (24bit/192khz), needle drop of UK vinyl and more. I just bought the AF SACD but looks like this ones in my future too.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Close To The Edge by Yes mixed by Steven Wilson looks pretty interesting coming next month. 5.1 DTS HD plus a bunch of other goodies, original mix from master tape (24bit/192khz), needle drop of UK vinyl and more. I just bought the AF SACD but looks like this ones in my future too.

Thank you for the tip. That's the sort of thing I was talking about. Concert/live BDs can be fun, sure, but I'm primarily interested in studio recordings. Albums. FWIW, before staring this thread, I went though every BD listing in "music" on Amazon.

chumlie

Jul 7, 2013
Thank you for the tip. That's the sort of thing I was talking about. Concert/live BDs can be fun, sure, but I'm primarily interested in studio recordings. Albums. FWIW, before staring this thread, I went though every BD listing in "music" on Amazon.
No problem. I'll keep ya posted if I see anything interesting pop up. Hope you got Psychedelic Pill on Blu-Ray by now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing