To Egg or Not To Egg, That is the Question

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great. Now if they can also reverse their position on bacon fat, we can have a proper breakfast. :D

Amir
(who eats oatmeal for breakfast everyday and has been scared of eating eggs forever)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I love eggs, but I don't go anal with them. ...Omelettes anyone? ...Or scrambled? ...Sunny-side up, with hash browns, and sliced tomatoes? ...Hard boiled?

Wanna know about my favorite breakfast? :b

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I love eggs, omelettes, hard boiled, deviled, soft boiled, poached, scrambled nice and wet, sunny side up and runny, fried hard if I want a change. There's hardly a way I don't love eggs. They are quick and easy to make. It has been my staple for breakfast for decades.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love eggs, omelettes, hard boiled, deviled, soft boiled, poached, scrambled nice and wet, sunny side up and runny, fried hard if I want a change. There's hardly a way I don't love eggs. They are quick and easy to make. It has been my staple for breakfast for decades.

I'm with ya! Usually always have a few in my fridge to munch on or make a quick egg-salad sandwich with. Love 'em in many salads as well!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
during the late '70s you couldn't turn on the tv or open a newspaper w/o seeing yet more evidence eggs were terribly bad for you. that and the war on butter were two major faux pas the media latched onto for many years. I love eggs and all the better when fried in butter!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
during the late '70s you couldn't turn on the tv or open a newspaper w/o seeing yet more evidence eggs were terribly bad for you. that and the war on butter were two major faux pas the media latched onto for many years. I love eggs and all the better when fried in butter!

I remember people switching to margarine and would never have a stick of butter in the house. Fast forward to today and butter is good again! :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Rocky (Balboa) drinks a large glass of eggs (a dozen) each morning!
He's a pro boxer, and it is part of a well balanced diet for people who want to be in top physical (and spiritual) shape.

Well, look at me too, and Gary. :b

________________ I use olive oil now (before I was using butter), which is better and easier, for the digestion.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

That should be CLARIFIED butter! ;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Rocky (Balboa) drinks a large glass of eggs (a dozen) each morning!
He's a pro boxer, and it is part of a well balanced diet for people who want to be in top physical (and spiritual) shape.

Well, look at me too, and Gary. :b

________________ I use olive oil now (before I was using butter), which is better and easier, for the digestion.

Unccoked eggs are unhealthy on many levels. OTOH, cooked egg whites are probably the best protein source available.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Back to the OP though, isn't this old news? I thought the myth about eggs being bad for one's cholesterol had been laid to rest a couple of decades ago? Butter, OTOH, still causes problems, although probably no worse than margarine that is high in trans fats. Fortunately, there has been trans fat free margarine around for 40+ years, even though it was unpopular in the marketplace for most of that time.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Back to the OP though, isn't this old news? I thought the myth about eggs being bad for one's cholesterol had been laid to rest a couple of decades ago? Butter, OTOH, still causes problems, although probably no worse than margarine that is high in trans fats. Fortunately, there has been trans fat free margarine around for 40+ years, even though it was unpopular in the marketplace for most of that time.

Not at all. Do a google search and how many nutritional pamphlets from leading institutions still promote this myth. Actually far from accepted.

Not to mention some saturated fats are primary energy sources for the heart.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You're probably right. I guess what I meant was that there was enough data for me to come to that conclusion quite a long time ago.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hmmm. My doctor just told me to cut out eggs from my diet. I'm not going to stress over it, though.

Sure a doctor knows more than I do (hell, most everyone knows more than I do:p), but I don't buy into cutting out eggs or beef or whatever altogether...at least not if your health is fine. If your cholecterol level, blood pressure and the like are at alarming proportions, then ok.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
People need to be aware of their own health care risks and always eat in moderation those things which potentially put them at risk

Great links Myles. Very interesting studies

That's what I wanted to say, but you said it much more eloquantly. :D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
AFAIK, Every single study investigating the effect of dietary eggs specifically has shown either no change or improvement in lipid profiles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing