2150 or 3060

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Leaving aside practical or logistical considerations, which of these 2 monsters models do you think will be a better sounding amp all else - system wise - being equal? The 3s assume are superior - still to bee seen by how much - vs the advantages (at least from a theoretical perspective) of mono configuration and slightly more power of the 2s.

When you get to these price levels, the difference between them is not that big at 13K aprox. (outch)

Assume no one has listened to both of them at this point. Would be great if someone has, but if not pure guessing is also good :).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
id say go with the 3060, boulder doesnt rank its amps without purpose i assume 1000,2000 3000 series having owned a 1060 myself , that carved 3060 is stunning looking as well:D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Monoamps merely differ from the stereoversion in having a bigger powersupply at least with the krells , but a beast like the 3060 will drive anything to maximum performance , i also owned krell monos and i dont find having monoamps is worth the hassle

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The more you spend, the better the sound :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ask Boulder? Be curious to see what they say given your specific requirements.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
they said unless you need the extra 100w.... it is better the 3060 in any and every way.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
they said unless you need the extra 100w.... it is better the 3060 in any and every way.

sorry...just to make sure I am understanding...they said that (other than the extra 100 watts over power) the 3060 stereo is better than the 2150 monos in any and every way...correct?

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
yes that is exactly what they said. The only advantage of the 2150 over the 3060 would be a little more power. In every other area the 3060 is a superior performer. Almost quoting their reply and words.

I did not make the query for any specific speaker. Just in general.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
BTW, they were very nice, answered in an extremely timely manner to all my questions and in a way that you could tell the person knew very well what he was talking about on different areas. Not always the case at all companies. Great service.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
yes that is exactly what they said. The only advantage of the 2150 over the 3060 would be a little more power. In every other area the 3060 is a superior performer. Almost quoting their reply and words.

I did not make the query for any specific speaker. Just in general.
BTW, they were very nice, answered in an extremely timely manner to all my questions and in a way that you could tell the person knew very well what he was talking about on different areas. Not always the case at all companies. Great service.

Great stuff...thanks for that. Makes sense...kind of like Gryphon Mephisto stereo vs Colosseum monos I suspect. The design of the Gryphon Mephisto or Boulder 3160 is just based on more advanced thinking.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Not sure it is the same case, LLoyd. Not an expert on the brand but seems the 3 series was developed before the new 2 series, so in this case I guess it has to do with budget on similar concept.

In gryphon mephisto is a newer design so here I think your point can be riight. You now gryphon way better than I do. One is not the replacement of the other right? With a very small (at these levles) price diference, I wonder what the strategy or thinking behind is, of keeping both models current. May be just a diferent sound print of them?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure it is the same case, LLoyd. Not an expert on the brand but seems the 3 series was developed before the new 2 series, so in this case I guess it has to do with budget on similar concept.

In gryphon mephisto is a newer design so here I think your point can be riight. You now gryphon way better than I do. One is not the replacement of the other right? With a very small (at these levles) price diference, I wonder what the strategy or thinking behind is, of keeping both models current. May be just a diferent sound print of them?

I did not know that...seeing the 2000 series in production for over 10 years, I though the 3 series by definition was simply newer. I love Boulder but am not that knowledgeable. As for Gryphon, I think the Mephisto was driven by demand from Asia for an even more all out assault design from Founder, Flemming Rasmussen. As for keeping both models current, cannot say...other than the fact that they also have kept the Antileon current for well over 15 years with only 1 Signature upgrade many years ago. In truth, the mephisto makes it 3 models...which is not bad for a company in truth. But I take your point about the price differential...I have lost track about what they are now...besides, I buy second hand/demo anyway. ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Maybe they found some new components /technologies with the development of the 3000 series and thought its time for a trickle down 2100 series.
Boulder does to my ears a serious attempt for utter neutrality, but i imagine it gets harder to improve at the top

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing