Tripoint troy signature grounding device

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Broadcast engineering, recording engineering and industrial engineering. Just what does my equipment have to do with you doing something dangerous, something prohibited by the electrical code and something that is the opposite of the writing's in all the good books and papers on AC power and audio systems?

Jack of all trades huh? Its to code (unless I was lied to). You can always call Lyncole (http://www.lyncole.com), ATI (http://www.soundstage.com/configsys/configsys.htm), or any other electrical engineering based company that feeds their children doing this stuff if you want more information.

So, do you have a discography? Where do you or where have you recorded music? What constitutes a good recording studio from an electrical standpoint? From an equipment standpoint?

What does your current system consist of and why? What have you tried to optimize your electrical elements? You seem keen to correct or impart knowledge, so here is your chance.

Some engineer flatlanders tend to patronize the audio community. At times, it is deserved since there is obviously a lot of witchcraft in this hobby. At other times, no. For example, there is wire. We have been told it should not influence the sound whatsoever. We audiophiles all know it does. More recently, evidence is bubbling up to explain why: http://www.stereophile.com/rmaf2010/nordost_and_vertex_measurements/

Change wire or put in a power conditioner, and there is a change in the upstream performance of your digital front end expressed as timing errors. It would be interesting to apply the same testing methodology to the Tripoint Troy and see what was going on. There is obviously something going on unless its just a powerful placebo....and there are worse things that could happen...:D

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Well I did spend a great evening at the ice rink on my hands & knees marking 5 race tracks for our meet in two weeks. It took 10 people 3 hours to measure and mark 5 tracks. That's about 80 track marking dots and 6 starting lines.

Last year we had a much larger meet scheduled, then Super Storm Sandy hit and the rink was without power for 4 days (yes we are 500 miles from NY/NJ but high winds left much of the city without power for days).

See:
http://www.ohiospeedskating.com/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
anyone try Granite audio's passive Ground Zero device ? Sure it's not as Purdy at the $10-$15k Tripoint, but it comes complete with 6 grounding cables for $600.00.

http://www.graniteaudio.com/zero/index.html

I have spoken with a reviewer for his advice...who said he had a Granite device, and it frankly did not do anything for him. (I almost got the sense it did not do much of anything at all.) He went on to say he thought about the Entreq and passed for his own reasons.

He then said he was going to buy the Tripoint Troy which was so good, he had been hankering after one for over a year after first hearing it.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I had one. It appeared to drop the noise floor but was nothing earth shattering. I also owned their CDP657 which was stellar. Don at Granite makes outstanding tubed gear and everything he does is sound....

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well I did spend a great evening at the ice rink on my hands & knees marking 5 race tracks for our meet in two weeks. It took 10 people 3 hours to measure and mark 5 tracks. That's about 80 track marking dots and 6 starting lines.

Last year we had a much larger meet scheduled, then Super Storm Sandy hit and the rink was without power for 4 days (yes we are 500 miles from NY/NJ but high winds left much of the city without power for days).

See:
http://www.ohiospeedskating.com/

Funnier retort. Bravo....

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Having had a Troy Signature on loan here for the past few weeks I figured some may be interested in my observation.

First a wee apology.... LL21, thanks for taking the time to reply to my PM regarding your experience with the Troy/Entreq systems when you might have just pointed me in the direction of this thread. I only noticed it a few days ago and it's been interesting to read through and see the different perspectives.

We live in a detached house in a small village in the South East of England. I have run a dedicated spur for the hifi and there is a power outlet on the main ring for downstairs next to it. I had a source and interegrated at the time we rewired and was disappointed that there was no noticeable diffence in SQ between the two outlets. Though the mains likely fluctuates rising to as high as 245v at times I suspect that we are relatively unpolluted by noise as compared to some including LL21 & Spiritofmusic who have commented in this thread. I run an EMM CDSA, Aesthetix Calypso, Kharma MP150 & Kharma 2.3ce

In recent times I've had a number of highly regarded components through my system, Preamps from Robert Koda, Shindo, ARC Ref3, big power amps from Jeff Rowland and a Dartzeel intergrated. All have offered benefits in one way or another but for me only the Robert Koda pre comprehensively outshone what I run in all areas. The Shindo Vosne Romanee ran it close but at a slight expense in what I'd describe as musicality rather than neutrality.

I've purchased cables and supports from a local dealer who shares a similar passion and taste in all things musical and as a result they have popped by occaisionally to tempt or seek an opinion on some equipment. One such piece has been the Troy Signature with Thor and from what I can gather standard grounding cables.

We hooked it up to my system using a ground post on the pre and case screws for the cdp and amps. On switch on there was little to notice, perhaps more substance to a big cymbol strike at the start of the track we were comparing, hard to say. That was at the end of the visit and as I had another engagement it was the end of our session. I came back to the system some hours later and was left somewhat slack jawed. I can only concour with what the others who have tried a Troy in their systems describe, sound seeming to come out of a lower noise background freeing up the system to deliver nuiance and musicality that was shrouded before. Others have described the effect better than I might so I'll leave it at that.

At the end of the preamp shootout I had last summer I concluded that I was more than happy to live with the compromises that my system delivered. If funds became available I'd perhaps look in the direction of Robert Koda.

Enter the Troy... in my relatively modest system (compared to some here) and room it makes a significantly bigger difference than any of the electronics I've tried, the effect really is that great. Time to start saving and I don't mean that flippantly. I don't know what is inside the beautifully finished Troy box, I suspect there is more to it than star grounding but on the question of value it has beaten up a range of more expensive components so on that basis the high price seems justifiable

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Defride, my offer to come to mine and listen to a comprehensive Entreq Silver Tellus, w/5 Apollo grounding leads, is still open. Will PM you. I haven't heard Troy, but Entreq had a similar effect in my system that you describe. With excellent UK support, and a third of the price of Troy, it's a no brainer in my system.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Having had a Troy Signature on loan here for the past few weeks I figured some may be interested in my observation.

First a wee apology.... LL21, thanks for taking the time to reply to my PM regarding your experience with the Troy/Entreq systems when you might have just pointed me in the direction of this thread. I only noticed it a few days ago and it's been interesting to read through and see the different perspectives.

We live in a detached house in a small village in the South East of England. I have run a dedicated spur for the hifi and there is a power outlet on the main ring for downstairs next to it. I had a source and interegrated at the time we rewired and was disappointed that there was no noticeable diffence in SQ between the two outlets. Though the mains likely fluctuates rising to as high as 245v at times I suspect that we are relatively unpolluted by noise as compared to some including LL21 & Spiritofmusic who have commented in this thread. I run an EMM CDSA, Aesthetix Calypso, Kharma MP150 & Kharma 2.3ce

In recent times I've had a number of highly regarded components through my system, Preamps from Robert Koda, Shindo, ARC Ref3, big power amps from Jeff Rowland and a Dartzeel intergrated. All have offered benefits in one way or another but for me only the Robert Koda pre comprehensively outshone what I run in all areas. The Shindo Vosne Romanee ran it close but at a slight expense in what I'd describe as musicality rather than neutrality.

I've purchased cables and supports from a local dealer who shares a similar passion and taste in all things musical and as a result they have popped by occaisionally to tempt or seek an opinion on some equipment. One such piece has been the Troy Signature with Thor and from what I can gather standard grounding cables.

We hooked it up to my system using a ground post on the pre and case screws for the cdp and amps. On switch on there was little to notice, perhaps more substance to a big cymbol strike at the start of the track we were comparing, hard to say. That was at the end of the visit and as I had another engagement it was the end of our session. I came back to the system some hours later and was left somewhat slack jawed. I can only concour with what the others who have tried a Troy in their systems describe, sound seeming to come out of a lower noise background freeing up the system to deliver nuiance and musicality that was shrouded before. Others have described the effect better than I might so I'll leave it at that.

At the end of the preamp shootout I had last summer I concluded that I was more than happy to live with the compromises that my system delivered. If funds became available I'd perhaps look in the direction of Robert Koda.

Enter the Troy... in my relatively modest system (compared to some here) and room it makes a significantly bigger difference than any of the electronics I've tried, the effect really is that great. Time to start saving and I don't mean that flippantly. I don't know what is inside the beautifully finished Troy box, I suspect there is more to it than star grounding but on the question of value it has beaten up a range of more expensive components so on that basis the high price seems justifiable

Bravo Defride. The Troy has been compared to a full loom of Entreq products (which ironically is close to the same price and what seems to be required to get Entreq in the same neighborhood sonically) and the Troy was found to be superior. I plan on saving my pennies for a Troy Signature in the not too distant future. I have heard Miguel's products at an after-hours tradeshow demo (Tripoint Orion + Troy) and the result was profound.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Bravo Defride. The Troy has been compared to a full loom of Entreq products (which ironically is close to the same price and what seems to be required to get Entreq in the same neighborhood sonically) and the Troy was found to be superior. I plan on saving my pennies for a Troy Signature in the not too distant future. I have heard Miguel's products at an after-hours tradeshow demo (Tripoint Orion + Troy) and the result was profound.

The comparison is not entirely accurate full Entreq full loom[ Silver Tellus + Atlantis + 5 Atlantis cables = 11.7k USD] V/S [ Tripoint (Thor Version) +5 Tripoint Ground wires (included)]= 21.5 k USD . ]

Having said that all who have experienced or own the Troy SE , say it to be worth the extra price of admission !

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Defride .... great post and a timely affirmation for me . Strangely for my next acquisition it was a toss up between the Koda K-10 and the Tripoint Troy SE . Being that as I am currently content with how my rig is voiced , with my current pre-amps the WAVAC PRT-1/ Vitus Master MP-L201 , I get the feeling that system grounding should be the path to tread .

Would you or your dealer have any feed-back on the Tripoint Troy SE v/s Tripoint Troy Thor version . I understand you tried the Thor version , which is quite a bit dearer . With regard to the K-10 , have been told inspite of being a SS design it has comparable dimensionality and harmonic structure of a good tube pre . Look forward to your thoughts .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Defride is lucky to audition the Troy in the UK, there has been no dealer (until now?). The price differential in the US on Entreq to Troy (approx 1:1) is not as great as in the UK (Silver Tellus and one Apollo ground lead £2k - Troy/Thor £8k-£10k+ w/taxes). I don't doubt Troy may be a level beyond Entreq. All I know is that a radical change has been wrought in my system, v.much along the lines of what Defride described in his detailed post, that I don't personally need to go to this mega extra expense. But if one has the cash...
As you said Jazzhead, if you like the voicing of your system, Entreq or Troy will maxx out it's potential more than many other options, giving you "more" of what you like.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Defride .... great post and a timely affirmation for me . Strangely for my next acquisition it was a toss up between the Koda K-10 and the Tripoint Troy SE . Being that as I am currently content with how my rig is voiced , with my current pre-amps the WAVAC PRT-1/ Vitus Master MP-L201 , I get the feeling that system grounding should be the path to tread .

Would you or your dealer have any feed-back on the Tripoint Troy SE v/s Tripoint Troy Thor version . I understand you tried the Thor version , which is quite a bit dearer . With regard to the K-10 , have been told inspite of being a SS design it has comparable dimensionality and harmonic structure of a good tube pre . Look forward to your thoughts .

Hi Jazzhead, that's some really nice kit you have and what a great dilemma!

Were it me, with my system as it stands, grounding would be the start point. That said I have little doubt that the Robert Koda K10 would shine even more brightly in a more revealing system.

As far as my experience of tube pre's go there is obviously the Aesthetix I run, I've some experience of what can be acheived with Kondo, an aquaintance has a Kegon with Living Voice speakers, I was there when he introduced his M77 and a couple of guys I know have M7's. I've tried an M7 in my system though it wasn't optimised and didn't work well. My impression is Kondo and Shindo play in the same sort of ballpark in general terms. The Vosne Romanee sounded beautiful, great clarity, dynamic with a silky lushness in my system, Nick Cave on a track from 'A Boatman's Call' was delivered in that way and there's the dilemma. Nick Cave shouldn't sound quiet so delicious with polished edges, as engaging as that was. In comparison I felt the K10 captures the musicality of these tube amps, the weight, tone and dimensionality but doesn't polish the edges to the same degree sounding more alive by comparison. Bare in mind of course preference plays a part, ours may differ and there is nothing wrong with that.

In my system the Troy delivers the same sort of benefits the K10 did only more so, if its practical I'd try to hear a K10 in your system and compare the effect to a grounding solution. They seem to play to the same strengths if my experience is anything to go by and which one you decided upon might well depend on the synergy with your system and room. Beware, it may be an expensive mistake to try them at the same time.... lol

I've only experience of the Thor version and as far as I'm aware that's the case with my dealer. Not sure that there is an official announcement as yet nor whether final details are decided but I believe he is in the process of setting up distribution for the UK and I think the unit I have is one of the first pieces he's had from Tripoint.

Best of luck, should be great fun choosing, would be great to hear how you get on.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Defride is lucky to audition the Troy in the UK, there has been no dealer (until now?). The price differential in the US on Entreq to Troy (approx 1:1) is not as great as in the UK (Silver Tellus and one Apollo ground lead £2k - Troy/Thor £8k-£10k+ w/taxes). I don't doubt Troy may be a level beyond Entreq. All I know is that a radical change has been wrought in my system, v.much along the lines of what Defride described in his detailed post, that I don't personally need to go to this mega extra expense. But if one has the cash...
As you said Jazzhead, if you like the voicing of your system, Entreq or Troy will maxx out it's potential more than many other options, giving you "more" of what you like.

I have not heard the Troy but I am sure that the improvements reported are genuine and significant. I use the Entreq Silver Tellus and Silver Minimus for the Entreq Konstantin speaker cables and they have markedly improved the sound of my system as I have reported on earlier posts.
My advice to any members considering either would be to hear the Entreq first which appears to me to be more affordable , I suspect more cost effective and certainly well worth pursing if not using either. In my experience the Silver Tellus is a better buy than the standard Tellus and even with the Silver earth cables makes a significant improvement to sound quality across the board.
Over the last two weeks I have been trying out the Atlantis box, which turbo charges the Silver Tellus and allows more connections to the Tellus, together with the top of the line Atlantis earth cable to my Vitus SIA 025 amp. The result has been an improvement in the resolution, bass and naturalness of the music.
Yesterday I ordered an Atlantis box with connections for both my Silver Tellus boxes and the aforementioned Atlantis cable for the amplifier which I am sure will further improve the sound of my system and I'll report back on the results.
The most important message, however, is that these products really do work and in many cases will be a better upgrade than a more expensive amp or source which has been the traditional upgrade path.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The comparison is not entirely accurate full Entreq full loom[ Silver Tellus + Atlantis + 5 Atlantis cables = 11.7k USD] V/S [ Tripoint (Thor Version) +5 Tripoint Ground wires (included)]= 21.5 k USD . ]

Having said that all who have experienced or own the Troy SE , say it to be worth the extra price of admission !

a minor point...the Thor SE is $14K...adding an upgraded Thor PC (which is monstrously big) costs several thousand more...but the Troy SE with 4 grounding cables is USD$14K which is, as you suggest, pretty close to the 11.7K for Atlantis Entreq.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jazzhead, that's some really nice kit you have and what a great dilemma!

Were it me, with my system as it stands, grounding would be the start point. That said I have little doubt that the Robert Koda K10 would shine even more brightly in a more revealing system.

As far as my experience of tube pre's go there is obviously the Aesthetix I run, I've some experience of what can be acheived with Kondo, an aquaintance has a Kegon with Living Voice speakers, I was there when he introduced his M77 and a couple of guys I know have M7's. I've tried an M7 in my system though it wasn't optimised and didn't work well. My impression is Kondo and Shindo play in the same sort of ballpark in general terms. The Vosne Romanee sounded beautiful, great clarity, dynamic with a silky lushness in my system, Nick Cave on a track from 'A Boatman's Call' was delivered in that way and there's the dilemma. Nick Cave shouldn't sound quiet so delicious with polished edges, as engaging as that was. In comparison I felt the K10 captures the musicality of these tube amps, the weight, tone and dimensionality but doesn't polish the edges to the same degree sounding more alive by comparison. Bare in mind of course preference plays a part, ours may differ and there is nothing wrong with that.

In my system the Troy delivers the same sort of benefits the K10 did only more so, if its practical I'd try to hear a K10 in your system and compare the effect to a grounding solution. They seem to play to the same strengths if my experience is anything to go by and which one you decided upon might well depend on the synergy with your system and room. Beware, it may be an expensive mistake to try them at the same time.... lol

I've only experience of the Thor version and as far as I'm aware that's the case with my dealer. Not sure that there is an official announcement as yet nor whether final details are decided but I believe he is in the process of setting up distribution for the UK and I think the unit I have is one of the first pieces he's had from Tripoint.

Best of luck, should be great fun choosing, would be great to hear how you get on.
wow...great review. Congrats and enjoy!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe a better way to look at Entreq v Troy is the upgradeability of Entreq v the max cost of Troy that you have to shell out for at the start. As far as I can see, you can stay with Silver Tellus c£1700, Apollo leads £400 each (I have 5),. So I've spent £3700. But £2100 for S. Tellus and 1 Apollo lead to preamp would give a major lift w/out needing to go further. Troy SE would be £8k-£10k in one go. I am planning to upgrade Apollo leads to Atlantis leads, 5 at total of an extra £2k, and add on Atlantis box £2300, so £8k projected final cost.
I guess if you have the funds readily to start, Troy may float your boat, but to start small with Entreq and build up over time is the only way I can afford this grounding option. And so happy to invest in Entreq.

catcando

Mar 26, 2014
Cambridge, UK
Hi
New here, so first post.
Thanks to the generosity of the UK distributor,I have been lucky enough to trial the Troy Signature, with Thor power cable, and one Thor SE ground cable, and three silver Signature ground cables.
I say lucky, because, there was no chance of a sale, as I cannot afford it.

A bit of background on the system
I have a soundproof and acoustically treated dedicated listening room, about 25' X 15' X 9'.
The electrical supply, is a three phase, dedicated, separately metered supply. Each socket is individually wired from it's own circuit breaker, to a single unswitched wallplate.

The system is comprised of Magico V3s, Mark Levinson ML 432 power amp, Mark Levinson ML 326S preamp, Ayon Stealth DAC, and Ayon CDT transport.
All cables are Siltech; power cords, XLR interconnects, and speaker cables.
Equipment sits on a Finite Elemente rack, with all supported by Cerapucks.

Many who have been in the room, with previous systems, have thought it was overdamped, I think.
I do like listening from a distance; the speakers are about 10' apart, and I sit about 15' away.

The current system sounds very open, clean, fast, and generally, very good, with no apparent peaks or dips, or other nasties.

Adding the Troy system, with four components chassis grounded, just does something magical.
Nothing is emphasized, yet everything is more apparent. Detail is better, and more natural; bass better defined, treble sweeter, soundstage deeper and wider; sounds linger longer.
The overriding term is unforced, more natural; music just appears.
The effect is very subtle, but very powerful. Not everyone listens the same way, nor picks out the same things, when they listen. I think this is a major foundation improvement.

If I had this kind of money to spend on an upgrade, it would be on the Troy, and not any other piece of equipment; I just think what it does for a system is so fundamental, and yet so powerful, that any system will be improved beyond expectations, more than with any other piece of equipment. Most, if not all, equipment has a signature, but the Troy just lets it reach its full potential, without altering the sonic balance, but improving all aspects of reproduction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing