Tripoint troy signature grounding device

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Lloyd

so the unit comes with 4 grounding cables which I gather must be the Signature silver

How long are the grounding cables and how much are they to buy new ones? I ask as I noticed Robert has both his front and back end components grounded. With my front end gear off to the side I would think it would take a long cable(s) to ground both my front and back end gear.

Uh, what are you talking about here Steve? :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd

so the unit comes with 4 grounding cables which I gather must be the Signature silver

How long are the grounding cables and how much are they to buy new ones? I ask as I noticed Robert has both his front and back end components grounded. With my front end gear off to the side I would think it would take a long cable(s) to ground both my front and back end gear.

Hi Steve...the lengths of each of the 4 standard cables which come with the Troy SE are above. As for the cost of a 5th grounding wire, i have not investigated fully. My recollection is the mid-level (Master Reference) was $3K retail for a 2.5 meter cable. I am totally guessing it might be $1500 for a silver signature of similar length.

What you might find is that by grounding the front end sources and preamp (all on the rack i presume), you get quite a lot of benefit...and leave the amps alone? food for thought.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm of one voice with Lloyd when it comes to the effects of grounding, but where Entreq DEF has the edge is pricing. In my system I've ended up with FIVE grounding leads. If I was to go full on Atlantis upgrade crazy this would amount to c£8500, with Atlantis cables coming in at £890 each. For me to go Troy SE, this would be closer to £16000, with the additional Thor cable at £3000. Maybe outside Europe, the price differential wouldn't be so marked.
Just remember, if you go Troy SE plus half a dozen or more leads, you'll be paying a significant margin over Entreq prices. And in my experience, the 5 leads well exceeds the single preamp lead I tried originally.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks gents...becoming a bit clearer in my mind. Does this mean if I connect more components in my system that I might continue to lower noise throughout the system? Right now, amp is straight into wall, while everything else is thru the power conditioner. So the Tripoint is plugged into power conditioner (although again it draws no power...only ground prong is engaged)...and individual wires connect 3 of the Zanden boxes and the preamp.

I would connect to the amp...but cannot yet find a grounding screw... So curious to know if I find one on the amp and connect it to Tripoint...does that lower noise potentially?

The reason I ask is that, (although when we tried our failed DIY grounding we did try to connect everything), the Entreq dealer did NOT recommend this when using Entreq. He actually said sometimes it was better to connect to only 2 components. I did not really understand this...but given that they would be financially incentivized to keep selling me more and more grounding wires, I took them at their word they were being honest and appreciated it.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

My experience is that amplifiers produce the most noise,but that also depends on the internal grounding of the amplifier. I connected one amp and the soundstage collapsed and one other was the opposite. My rule if the piece of gear is connected by IC's it gets connected. In my system when I first did this it took about 50 hours for all my cables and gear to stabalise again. When I connected my MR70 ,about 24 hours,typically the soundstage ,will open,close and then open again. You should notice more,clarity,transparency,tonal nuance,and dynamics. Preamps and amps benefit the most,but the sum of everything is far greater than a single piece.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd

Hi Steve...just double-checked...the Silver Signature costs a lot less than i guessed...$550 per 1m cable. $100 extra for every additional meter. Thor Master Ref is $3850 per meter...$1500 per additional meter. (The Master Ref is discontinued).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My experience is that amplifiers produce the most noise,but that also depends on the internal grounding of the amplifier. I connected one amp and the soundstage collapsed and one other was the opposite. My rule if the piece of gear is connected by IC's it gets connected. In my system when I first did this it took about 50 hours for all my cables and gear to stabalise again. When I connected my MR70 ,about 24 hours,typically the soundstage ,will open,close and then open again. You should notice more,clarity,transparency,tonal nuance,and dynamics. Preamps and amps benefit the most,but the sum of everything is far greater than a single piece.

Thank you!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thank you!

Your welcome. Never under estimate the amount of noise in your system. Noise is a funny thing,you can't tell it's there until it is removed. The natural pathway is for the noise to go back to ground. Noise is not distortion,two different things.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Agree Roger. After 5 years of running a modest balanced power system on it's own spur and being delighted with the reduction of noise giving me the fabled after midnight sound 24/7, I'm finding that my Entreq grounding is so effective on another plane, that it's highlighting some shortcomings in this power foundation that I wasn't aware of pre-Entreq installation. That's why I'm aiming to install a pro studio quality 8kVA balanced transformer w/ an 85kg transformer core (or maybe even a more modest price 10kVA or even 15kVA), a dedicated Furutech radial main, and Rhodium plated Furutech sockets. This will take what my current setup provides a whole leap fwd (I hope!), and allow my Entreq grounding to work to the max. The lack of noise so far is really instructional as to the bottle necks we're not even aware restrict our systems - until, like you say, they're gone.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Agree Roger. After 5 years of running a modest balanced power system on it's own spur and being delighted with the reduction of noise giving me the fabled after midnight sound 24/7, I'm finding that my Entreq grounding is so effective on another plane, that it's highlighting some shortcomings in this power foundation that I wasn't aware of pre-Entreq installation. That's why I'm aiming to install a pro studio quality 8kVA balanced transformer w/ an 85kg transformer core (or maybe even a more modest price 10kVA or even 15kVA), a dedicated Furutech radial main, and Rhodium plated Furutech sockets. This will take what my current setup provides a whole leap fwd (I hope!), and allow my Entreq grounding to work to the max. The lack of noise so far is really instructional as to the bottle necks we're not even aware restrict our systems - until, like you say, they're gone.

+1

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
LL21 and Audiocrack, I might suggest you speak with Nathan at NVS Sound and have him make a Silver 1 Power Cable with shielding that sinks to the Troy. Put the cable on your power conditioner or transport. The Troy opens up a new world of possibilities. Violins will bring tears of joy with the Troy/NVS combination.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Entertaining thread. Bravo to LL21 and Audiocrack (and Robert and others) for sharing about Tripoint and getting closer to the MUSIC. I know Miguel well, and heard his products demoed after-hours at Axpona in Atlanta several years ago. Not subtle stuff. I have tried star grounding devices (Granite Audio) with modest results. I have a dedicated room with an isolated, ionic grounding rod which had even more impact on the "noise floor." At some point, I will take the plunge with Tripoint when $ avails itself. I find it amusing to witness the scorn and disrespect that his products generate on the internet from people who have not heard it. On the flip side, you see the giddy and gleeful response from endusers that ENDURES. People buy and keep Tripoint products which is rare in audio these days. A pearl of great price.......

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Entertaining thread. Bravo to LL21 and Audiocrack (and Robert and others) for sharing about Tripoint and getting closer to the MUSIC. I know Miguel well, and heard his products demoed after-hours at Axpona in Atlanta several years ago. Not subtle stuff. I have tried star grounding devices (Granite Audio) with modest results. I have a dedicated room with an isolated, ionic grounding rod which had even more impact on the "noise floor." At some point, I will take the plunge with Tripoint when $ avails itself. I find it amusing to witness the scorn and disrespect that his products generate on the internet from people who have not heard it. On the flip side, you see the giddy and gleeful response from endusers that ENDURES. People buy and keep Tripoint products which is rare in audio these days. A pearl of great price.......

Hi GearD, Thanks for weighing in. Did you ever compare Tripont to your ionic grounding rod?

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have not. I have yet to hear Tripoint in my own rig but will in the new year. Its not an either or situation though. I would use both....

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
The Lyncole ionic grounding rod is for safety during a thunderstorm (it's part of the GEC system). Tripoint troy signature grounding device won't help much during that storm as it's part of the EGC safety ground system.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Broadcast engineering, recording engineering and industrial engineering. Just what does my equipment have to do with you doing something dangerous, something prohibited by the electrical code and something that is the opposite of the writing's in all the good books and papers on AC power and audio systems?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing