Tripoint troy signature grounding device

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I am using my Tripoint emperor and Troy se both for chassis and signal grounding. To my ears (and in my two systems using tube preamps and poweramps) both are very effective. Signal grounding in my case means: connecting the grounding leads of my various Taralabs grandmaster ic's to the Tripoint emperor and Troy se. And like Norm suggested: I do not mix chassis and signal grounding. Enjoy yourself Mike and please let us know how the Tripoint components benefit your audio system.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm excited to say that I have a Tripoint Troy SE Signature with Thor power cable and Thor SE Reference ground cable 1.5m in route to me now. it could be here by Wednesday or Thursday.

it will be interesting to see how it integrates into my system which already has the Entreq Silver Tellus (connected to my dart pre on unused RCA's) and Entreq Poseidon (connected to the negative ground posts on my dart 458 monoblocks).

I plan on starting off with the Thor Reference SE ground cable connected to the grounding post on the dart pre. and then go from there.

Exciting indeed Mike. Hopefully I am not too far behind you....

Robert

Nov 10, 2010

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the surprisingly large and heavy Troy Signature wooden crate is sitting in my barn hallway. it was too big for my car trunk so I took it home at lunch time with an SUV.

looking forward to play time later tonight.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
the surprisingly large and heavy Troy Signature wooden crate is sitting in my barn hallway. it was too big for my car trunk so I took it home at lunch time with an SUV.

A fun New year's eve ahead for you! Look forward to your initial impressions

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

I'm very interested in your assessment of the Tripoint in conjunction with your Equitec panel. I had a couple of discussions and exchanged a few emails with Miguel two years ago where he told me the Tripoint was not a good fit with isolation transformers. I abandoned the Tripoint path once I had my Torus panel installed. Hope it works well for you.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
started listening to the Troy Signature around 8 pm last night. listened till 11pm last night, then today since early.

I have the Thor Reference grounding cable connected to the phono ground post on my dart pre, and a standard silver grounding cable connected to the Tara Grandmaster grounding system on the Golden Gate. the Thor power cable is currently plugged into it's own dedicated outlet (Furutech GTX-D (R) -> Equi=tech).

a place to start.

from the first note this is awesome. it's a whole new ballgame, anything but subtle, and I'm still getting my brain around trying to define the ways it makes the sound better, and the music more real. for now I just want to experience it and enjoy what I'm hearing. and try not to analyze it. but my brain is reacting to new information and new degrees of realism in every recording.

lower noise; yes. more dynamic; yes. better flow and timing; yes. but more than that it seems to supercharge the musical energy.

I just grounded the power supply of the NVS tt. I need to go to the hardware store and find a small screw so I can ground the stainless steel arm board of the tone arm.

I'm very impressed.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
If you think the Signature is "adding" another dimension to the sonics

wait till you hear the Emperor--that goes to another league

BruceD

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
started listening to the Troy Signature around 8 pm last night. listened till 11pm last night, then today since early.
I have the Thor Reference grounding cable connected to the phono ground post on my dart pre, and a standard silver grounding cable connected to the Tara Grandmaster grounding system on the Golden Gate. the Thor power cable is currently plugged into it's own dedicated outlet (Furutech GTX-D (R) -> Equi=tech).
a place to start.
from the first note this is awesome. it's a whole new ballgame, anything but subtle, and I'm still getting my brain around trying to define the ways it makes the sound better, and the music more real. for now I just want to experience it and enjoy what I'm hearing. and try not to analyze it. but my brain is reacting to new information and new degrees of realism in every recording.
lower noise; yes. more dynamic; yes. better flow and timing; yes. but more than that it seems to supercharge the musical energy.
I just grounded the power supply of the NVS tt. I need to go to the hardware store and find a small screw so I can ground the stainless steel arm board of the tone arm.
I'm very impressed.

Hi Mike,

All my friends who own Troy Signature ground their tonearms too. Very significant effect.

Also, please place the Troy Signature on a good hifi board/rack and avoid stacking anything on top of it.

Peter

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Wow this guy sure came up with a great way to make money!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Mike,

Great news. Glad to hear and look forward to hearing more from your listening sessions. I will say that i would not take out my Tripoint SE Thor, and though i have not tried the Thor Grounding Cable...i have no doubt it too is excellent. I am also an owner and big fan of Entreq products...their shielding and EMI/RFI Receivus and their acoustic panels. But the Tripoint is special. Enjoy.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC

a place to start.

I'm very impressed.

Bravo Mike. You have a top tier system and room, so I am not surprised by your findings. Miguel was recently in NC, and we screwed around with a prototype of his new Emperor grounding cable (which was attached to a single naked grounding module rather than a full blown Troy), and the results were profound. The module alone weighed around 50 lbs, and the cable was around 10 lbs or more. Just obscene. The only component we attached it to was my Lampizator GG dac. My system was in relative disarray as my power conditioner and Gucci SW was unavailable and my Viva amp was not operational:

Emporer grounding cable.JPG

EGC #2.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Bravo Mike. You have a top tier system and room, so I am not surprised by your findings. Miguel was recently in NC, and we screwed around with a prototype of his new Emperor grounding cable (which was attached to a single naked grounding module rather than a full blown Troy), and the results were profound. The module alone weighed around 50 lbs, and the cable was around 10 lbs or more. Just obscene. The only component we attached it to was my Lampizator GG dac. My system was in relative disarray as my power conditioner and Gucci SW was unavailable and my Viva amp was not operational:

View attachment 24651

View attachment 24652

This is pretty cool. But I can't help but wonder what would make the biggest difference with the GG:

1: Using this grounding device

2: Using HQplayer

3: Upgrading the USB interface

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Power isolation and cables, chassis and signal grounding, mechanical isolation and resonance control IME have considerably greater impact and potential for improvement and control over sound quality than any of the comparatively subtle gains to be had between the various better digital player software or differences between the better digital hardware such as cables and various connection protocols or clocking devices. Not that these aren't all valuable contributors but just more incremental in possible gains.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Power isolation and cables, chassis and signal grounding, mechanical isolation and resonance control IME have considerably greater impact and potential for improvement and control over sound quality than any of the comparatively subtle gains to be had between the various better digital player software or differences between the better digital hardware such as cables and various connection protocols or clocking devices. Not that these aren't all valuable contributors but just more incremental in possible gains.

Hqplayer isn't just a media player, it's a replacement for the SRC/SDM conversion inside of the DAC's. It's like getting a whole new DAC when it comes to sound.

USB interfaces and clocks are a very important part of a DAC. Especially one like the GG that utilizes the clocks on it for master clocking. Huge differences can be heard upgrading them.

I'd put money on that each of those 2 $100 tweaks would make a bigger positive impact than the grounding device. Although, utilizing all 3 would be the best approach if cost wasn't a limiting factor.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
This is pretty cool. But I can't help but wonder what would make the biggest difference with the GG:

1: Using this grounding device

2: Using HQplayer

3: Upgrading the USB interface

Grounding.....the room became charged with a more expansive energy. That being said, I still want to fiddle with HQPlayer/Roon when available.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC

+1....that and room acoustics...especially when you apply mechanical grounding to room design ala Starsound Audio....

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Grounding.....the room became charged with a more expansive energy. That being said, I still want to fiddle with HQPlayer/Roon when available.

I would like to see how it's built and build my own.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

a place to start.

I'm very impressed.

As the person who started this thread I am happy that you are experiencing the same as I and many others did when we inserted the Tripoint Troy for the first time in our systems and - in my case - as well as a Tripoint emperor in my other audio system. For the latter, that is the Tripoint emperor, see the separate WBF thread I dedicated to the Tripoint emperor. The emperor adds a whole new dimension to the concept of 'grounding'.

Once your Tripoint Troy has fully settled it will get (even) better, I promise you Mike! I am sure you are not completely there yet.

And like Norm and I described earlier in this thread: adding more Thor se grounding cables will elevate things even further.

Waiting for Miguel to finish his 'uber' top of the line emperor grounding cable. Miguel and I talked about this cable a lot the last couple of months and I have no doubt whatsoever that this emperor ground will be something extraordinary.

And as I have mentioned before: insert one or more Tripoint devices in your audio system because without them you have not heard the full potential of your system!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing