Tripoint troy signature grounding device

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My NY system is set up this way too- subpanel with 60 amp breaker cut into the service before the main breaker panel. Dedicated 20 amp lines run from there to the listening room. Ground at the subpanel , per code, is shared with the rest of the main household system, though there is an additional ground rod that is connected to all that as well. This is still not isolated from the main household electrical system and noise from a light or appliance elsewhere in the house can affect the system.
My ideal is to have completely separate service feeding a separate building, similar, i think to what Mike L. has set up, and running the big Equi=Tech. (I have already been over the code issues with the electrical inspector in Austin and it is do-able, based on zoning where I want to live). In that case, I understand that it is OK to have a ground that is not shared with the house because it is entirely separate- like two separate houses on the same parcel of land.
As to the impedence issues with grounding, doesn't that hit right at the heart of the issue? Separate dedicated lines have different grounding potential; the way various components are internally grounded also comes into play. I'm sure there are white papers that address this. That's what that Ground Zero device attempts to address, albeit modestly, without all the noise elimination/overbuilt aspects of the Troy gear. And the impedance is adjustable for each of several 'paths' with exponential variations depending on the three way settings of three different switches for three separate paths and which equipment is hooked up to which path. i I suspect the Ground Zero website might provide some basic info on the impedence issue, Lloyd. (Did you get a name change too? That seems to be the current rage here.) I'm not suggesting that this device is a panacea, only that it was the basis for a lot of my hands-on experimentation with external star grounding.
I ain't a tech, so Don or somebody else could jump in here.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
May I ask other audiophiles to share their experiences with the Troy and the Troy signature with us? Thanks in advance.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My NY system is set up this way too- subpanel with 60 amp breaker cut into the service before the main breaker panel. Dedicated 20 amp lines run from there to the listening room. Ground at the subpanel , per code, is shared with the rest of the main household system, though there is an additional ground rod that is connected to all that as well. This is still not isolated from the main household electrical system and noise from a light or appliance elsewhere in the house can affect the system.

How does appliance noise come into play even though you have a separate subpanel ? is it because of the common ground ?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
How does appliance noise come into play even though you have a separate subpanel ? is it because of the common ground ?

I think that's right. Subpanel off main system does not really isolate system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As to the impedence issues with grounding, doesn't that hit right at the heart of the issue? Separate dedicated lines have different grounding potential; the way various components are internally grounded also comes into play. I'm sure there are white papers that address this. That's what that Ground Zero device attempts to address, albeit modestly, without all the noise elimination/overbuilt aspects of the Troy gear. And the impedance is adjustable for each of several 'paths' with exponential variations depending on the three way settings of three different switches for three separate paths and which equipment is hooked up to which path. i I suspect the Ground Zero website might provide some basic info on the impedence issue, Lloyd. (Did you get a name change too? That seems to be the current rage here.) I'm not suggesting that this device is a panacea, only that it was the basis for a lot of my hands-on experimentation with external star grounding.
I ain't a tech, so Don or somebody else could jump in here.

Thanks...that was more than I know! FWIW, I spoke with an audio writer (who shall remain unnamed) who has personally heard Tripoint and Ground Zero, and considered auditioning Entreq. He said he did not find much benefit in his system with Ground Zero...decided for his own reasons not to pursue Entreq...and after years of remembering the Tripoint, it sounds like he has ordered one. He said he could not forget the sound, but the cost was prohibitive...but after years, decided to just get it done.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Audiocrack , I do not think so anybody on WBF is a Troy user , at least not that I am aware of . You would be better of checking the Audio Exotic (Hong King)forum , a Troy is almost a given in most setups , amongst that lot .

http://audioexotics.hk/index.php?op...forumId=1&parentId=10981&topic=true&Itemid=53

Thanks Jazzhead. I know the Troy and Troy signature are considered unique products in certain parts of the world, in particular the hifi community in Hong Kong. That said there are some audiophiles in other parts of the world, eg the USA, with very impressive systems that are using the Troy or the Troy signature as well. Some of these systems can be found on the post 'virtual systems' on Audiogon. It would be interesting to hear their views as well on this forum as I perceive some scepticism in various reactions on this post about the virtues of the Troy and Troy signature, in particular considering their retail price. Although as a non technician I am not able to explain how the Troy works technically and how it compares to DIY solutions (and by all means go ahead with these solutions), I have a gut feeling that Tripoint Audio introduced something special with the Troy signature. Therefore I would encourage all audiophiles with fine systems to try it out or at least listen to it in a good hifi system. Although I am repeating myself I one more time want to make absolutely clear to anyone: I have no interest, financial or other, in Tripoint Audio. My only aim is to let people know that in my system the Troy signature is performing extremely well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So...I have had the Entreq Silver Tellus in for the last 3 weeks straight. I finally had the Distributor back over to pick it up...and after removing it...we have 2 things below worth noting:

1. My reaction to removing it.
2. The Distributor is allowing me to keep it a little longer. I am hoping to hear the new Atlantis which gets attached to it (2x the amount of composite materials, etc) and which apparently substantially improves performance.

Reaction to Moving It.
- Ughhh.
- Even my wife said "it seems muddier...not as clear"...and that is blind A/B without letting the Entreq settle back in again.

How much of a let down? I would say imagine taking 3 SOTA power cables out, or removing 2 sets of Ultra 5s out of 2 different components. It is that great. I added 1 set of Ultra 5s...and it did not make up for the difference.

Am I Keeping it? Stay tuned...I am definitely keeping a grounding unit. Question is whether it is Tripoint or Entreq.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Some pics.

And prices - http://www.element-acoustics.ca/products.php?cid=8&sid=30&tid=0&pid=1603

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
LL21 , be watching this space with keen interest . Add on 'Atlantis" though effective will be cumbersome , the Troy expensive . Wonder which path you will tread ? Am in the holding pattern as of now , funnily enough have not come across any feed back that compares the two . Keep us informed . Thanks .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21 , be watching this space with keen interest . Add on 'Atlantis" though effective will be cumbersome , the Troy expensive . Wonder which path you will tread ? Am in the holding pattern as of now , funnily enough have not come across any feed back that compares the two . Keep us informed . Thanks .

I am speaking with 1-2 people trying to arrange for a shootout. I have heard anecdotally from people that they have heard from 1-2 other people that Troy SE is much better than Silver Tellus. However, from a cost perspective, if you add the anticipated cost of all the elements in the new Entreq 'grounding system'...it gets quite close to Troy SE:

- Silver Tellus
- Atlantis add-on unit
- Apollo cable to connect the 2
- 4 Apollo cables (to match the 4 that come with Troy SE)
- Silver Powerus Unit (to match that Troy SE also provides a fixed Power Cable that uses only the grounding pin to connect into the ground of your overall system by plugging into wall or your power conditioner)

As you say, stay tuned and watch this over the next few weeks. Intend to learn more.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
As for the Tripoint Troy,the Original Troy was a revelation untoitself.It removed noise and grundge that most of us took for granted as being part of the music,but when it is gone your noise floor goes way lower and you can hear much deeper into the music instruments sound more natural,mirco details and cues are uncovered that were covered by noise.When you here this there is no going back.
The Troy Signature takes it a step further by removing as far as I can hear almost all the noise and dropping the noise floor to almost nothing,at that you can hear even more information and the transients and speed of the music seems to come out with no effort.The Signature is not a subtle upgrade,as soon as I hooked it up I was really impressed.Thats my take on the Tripoint Troy,I highly recommend trying one and would be very surprised if most of the audiophile didn't buy one.

Robert

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Robert!!! Enjoy! Did not realize you had gotten the Tripoint Troy SE now...very very interesting to read about it!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
As for the Tripoint Troy,the Original Troy was a revelation untoitself.It removed noise and grundge that most of us took for granted as being part of the music,but when it is gone your noise floor goes way lower and you can hear much deeper into the music instruments sound more natural,mirco details and cues are uncovered that were covered by noise.When you here this there is no going back.
The Troy Signature takes it a step further by removing as far as I can hear almost all the noise and dropping the noise floor to almost nothing,at that you can hear even more information and the transients and speed of the music seems to come out with no effort.The Signature is not a subtle upgrade,as soon as I hooked it up I was really impressed.Thats my take on the Tripoint Troy,I highly recommend trying one and would be very surprised if most of the audiophile didn't buy one.

Robert

Thanks much Robert, nice to hear that your experiences concur with mine. Now that audiophiles of at least three different continents are so enthusiastic about the Troy and Troy signature I really hope more audiophiles do themselves a favor and give the Troy or Troy signature a serious listen. As I mentioned earlier, you will (most likely) in for a very present surprise.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm still unsure how these grounding devices work. Where to I run the ground wires from the device to the components ? Is this done for every component ? I have ground wires for my turntables and phono stages. How do I connect the other components ?

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
You can connect up to 9 components to the troy,3 binding posts(3 to each post).It comes with 4 grounding cables,You can buy more from Tripoint as you need them,start with the amp and pre-amp then the turntable,I even ground my Magnum Dynalab 809 tuner and your cd and transport.Believe me you can fill up the 9 components,I did.

Robert

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,

To answer the other part of your question you ideally connect to the earth ground of the component.If one is not available connect to any ground or even a screw on the chasis of the component will work.

Robert

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi,
You can connect up to 9 components to the troy,3 binding posts(3 to each post).It comes with 4 grounding cables,You can buy more from Tripoint as you need them,start with the amp and pre-amp then the turntable,I even ground my Magnum Dynalab 809 tuner and your cd and transport.Believe me you can fill up the 9 components,I did.

Robert

How do you connect it to a Pre amp that doesn't have a grounding post ? My amps do have a grounding post.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How do you connect it to a Pre amp that doesn't have a grounding post ? My amps do have a grounding post.

If you connect the spade to a chassis screw, often that will connect to ground. I found out on my Zanden that the IEC screws are connected to ground.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you connect the spade to a chassis screw, often that will connect to ground. I found out on my Zanden that the IEC screws are connected to ground.

Okay, that makes sense...sounds like another device I am going to have to try down the road.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing