Tripoint troy signature grounding device

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, Lloyd is right, Mark Coles of Sablon (great guy) v. me, Marc the osteopath (great guy too, or so the voices in my head keep telling me :cool:!)

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Geardaddy, I concur w/you, w/some reservations. In the High End scene, quite a lot of us do seem to be overly sensitive. You don't dare even suggest someone's choice might be at the least debatable, for that person to jump down your throat. And forum boards/emails/even texts can be easily misconstrued, I'm sure you've been defensive over stuff that was meant in jest. Btw, I would choose a different word than jihadist, but I get your gist.
IMHO, Miguel of Tripoint is so out there w/the self promotion of his products, that he and his acolytes should be fair game for the challenging forum approach. He made a claim v.early on in my Audiogon dealings w/him (go to his system page on that board to see it) where I was still undecided on Entreq v Troy, which was untenable, viz the claim that a Troy Orion conditioner could ON IT'S OWN power HUNDRED'S of high end systems better than a SINGLE system powered by a SINGLE 8kVA balanced power transformer. First, I don't believe this scenario was ever tested by him, and two, I believe it's stretching the basic laws of physics beyond breaking point. Enquiries to the efficacy of this and follow up qs were basically shrugged off, until I became a fully fledged Troy skeptic.
Relevant to your post here, what I found most amazing was not that I was ignored by Miguel, no qs answered after I publicly dissed his claim (that's his prerogative, but still totally OTT IMHO), but that noone online other than me batted an eyelid, his acolytes telling me to pipe down, the claim left completely unchallenged. My string of more and more cool posts to Miguel were criticised greatly, but my reservations never addressed.
I'm in the complementary medicine profession, and if a colleague of mine made unbelievable self promotion claims (all those guys miraculously finding a cure for cancer know who they are), I would expect him to be doubted/challenged at the very least.
I don't want this to be an anti-Miguel rant (had enough of those accusations, we're cool after an online truce offered by me), just highlighting how politically correct so-called free speech can be, the latter concept often not seeming to have any true value. Free speech online in 2014 is often overloaded w/either trolling/bullying/physical threats online from sad little men masturbating in their grubby little apartments (GamerGate), or the polar opposite, fear to say anything challenging, relying on anodyne fan worship (the High End v.prone to this).

Sword fighting with Miguel online for theoretical reasons is just dust in the air. Your particular brand of jihad is long winded, pedantic, and a little passive aggressive. Quintessentially British....;)

If you did a shootout between your isolation transformer/Burmeister and the Tripoint Orion, you would **** your pants.

DRC

Aug 21, 2014
Hong Kong
You are being watched. Your day is coming. Just one wrong purchase and boom, she snaps....

GD, you sound like you are talking from some traumatic personal experience!! :roll eyes: My wife is a saint really...not to mention that I have literally gotten away with murder in the past and have gotten the art of "stealthy purchasing" down to a fine art!!! :cool:

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
GD, you sound like you are talking from some traumatic personal experience!! :roll eyes: My wife is a saint really...not to mention that I have literally gotten away with murder in the past and have gotten the art of "stealthy purchasing" down to a fine art!!! :cool:

Ha! I have friends who actively hide their audio purchases from their wives. My wife is the CFO and rather ruthless, so I don't have such liberty....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Geardaddy, just as long as you are sure in your mind that Miguel went to an apartment block full of hundreds of high end systems, somehow managed to run hundreds of lines from his Orion and powered hundreds of systems, and then compared the effects to a single 65kg 8kVA balanced transformer to just one of these systems, and concluded it stomped over the latter, then I'm happy for you.
I'd rather stick w/the British (and in Entreq's case, Swedish) reserve in claims made in technological prowess, then being bombarded w/quite ridiculous scenarios which have never been tested. Duh!

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Sword fighting with Miguel online for theoretical reasons is just dust in the air. Your particular brand of jihad is long winded, pedantic, and a little passive aggressive. Quintessentially British....;)

If you did a shootout between your isolation transformer/Burmeister and the Tripoint Orion, you would **** your pants.

Just curious, have you compared an isolation transformer against Tripoint Orion?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Adyc, I have no issues w/anyone here defending Miguel. From what I gather the Emperor is at the bleeding edge of grounding, and enough people incl the AE community extol the virtues of Troy. MikeL amongst others runs a balanced power transformer (Equi=Tech 10kVA), me a Westwick 8kVA model, and I'm not going to say it sounds better than the Orion, but it's up there in bullet proof power provision.
But Geardaddy, please don't defend a claim that is so extravagant in it's impracticality that it's worse than worthless.
Gosh, it seems i REALLY am long winded, pedantic, a little passive aggressive, and quintessentially British ;);).

Adyc, I have no issues w/anyone here defending Miguel. From what I gather the Emperor is at the bleeding edge of grounding, and enough people incl the AE community extol the virtues of Troy. MikeL amongst others runs a balanced power transformer (Equi=Tech 10kVA), me a Westwick 8kVA model, and I'm not going to say it sounds better than the Orion, but it's up there in bullet proof power provision.
But Geardaddy, please don't defend a claim that is so extravagant in it's impracticality that it's worse than worthless.
Gosh, it seems i REALLY am long winded, pedantic, a little passive aggressive, and quintessentially British ;);).

Yeah, you are the very opposite of Miguel and his passions. I certainly have many experiences to lead me to trust Miguel and none you. Sorry about that.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
TBG, why would you trust me? You don't know me from Adam. I don't even want your trust, that's not the point of my posts. If you feel a claim that an Orion can power hundreds of high end systems, additionally better than high end balanced power to a single high end system (as quoted by Geardaddy in post 542 above), is reasonable and to be trusted, you should invest your trust fully w/the person making that claim. I know you won't be disappointed.
I'm going to bow out of this line of argument before I waste too much more time. Just to say I find it fascinating my reservations have never been addressed, first on A'gon, and now here.
Believe it or not I remain an admirer of Miguel, I have heard the positive effects of Troy don't forget - my skeptical comments have only ever been pointed at this one claim, never addressed by Miguel - and of course he doesn't need to, you guys are happy to cast doubts on me rather than even say i MIGHT have reason to be skeptical.

Last edited:

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Geardaddy, just as long as you are sure in your mind that Miguel went to an apartment block full of hundreds of high end systems, somehow managed to run hundreds of lines from his Orion and powered hundreds of systems, and then compared the effects to a single 65kg 8kVA balanced transformer to just one of these systems, and concluded it stomped over the latter, then I'm happy for you.
I'd rather stick w/the British (and in Entreq's case, Swedish) reserve in claims made in technological prowess, then being bombarded w/quite ridiculous scenarios which have never been tested. Duh!

I understand your sentiments, but the claim is a non-sequitar. I am not sure why said that or what technical verbiage he offered up to back it up. I do know his stuff works and he does not need the hyperbole. I think that is latin bravado or something along those lines.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just curious, have you compared an isolation transformer against Tripoint Orion?

Not directly. I have fiddled with isolation transformers, and they do work, but, based on "sonic memories," they have nowhere near the same magnitude of effect. Have you had any experiences with them? Other than potential dynamic compression, they also "seem" to impart a sonic signature.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Err, TBG, I'm afraid it is IS what he told me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's ok TBG. I really don't want to contribute to more anti-Miguel sentiment. I only highlighted my story in response to Geardaddy's musings on free speech on these forum boards.
To set the record straight I'm a big fan of what Miguel has achieved w/Troy, and am in awe of what might be poss w/Emperor. We need more Audiocrack!

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
That's ok TBG. I really don't want to contribute to more anti-Miguel sentiment. I only highlighted my story in response to Geardaddy's musings on free speech on these forum boards.
To set the record straight I'm a big fan of what Miguel has achieved w/Troy, and am in awe of what might be poss w/Emperor. We need more Audiocrack!

I am pro freedom of speech, but I don't feel the same way about freedom of logic. If you had a website (or thread or blog) pertaining to your business, and despite a high standard of care and honesty, some individual persists in calling you, an osteopath, a quack and practitioner of woo-woo medicine and witchcraft. It would get old. It looks like you took your interactions with him personally and have chosen to make it public on multiple forums. You are acting like a jilted lover which is odd since you are in bed with Entreq....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ok, Geardaddy, I wanted to let it rest but you insist on carrying on. I showed Miguel due respect when I was asking qs re balanced power. He said blatantly a single Orion could power 250 high end systems, all to a better standard than balanced power. IMHO I felt this claim was not feasible - first it is beyond reason that he has ever performed this test, and then to double up the claim by performing an a-b v balanced power on 250 systems is tbh laughable. But if you believe this claim that's your prerogative.
So for me to draw a skeptical conclusion is wholly reasonable, but to then never address my temperate qs re this trial I admit did make me irate. So quintessentially British, old boy ;)!
Btw I can stick up for myself re criticisms of my work, don't worry y'self.
FYI, I've always preferred Swedish women to American or Cuban, so not so odd I'm in bed w/Entreq :rolleyes:!
I'm outta here :b!

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Ok, Geardaddy, I wanted to let it rest but you insist on carrying on. I showed Miguel due respect when I was asking qs re balanced power. He said blatantly a single Orion could power 250 high end systems, all to a better standard than balanced power. IMHO I felt this claim was not feasible - first it is beyond reason that he has ever performed this test, and then to double up the claim by performing an a-b v balanced power on 250 systems is tbh laughable. But if you believe this claim that's your prerogative.
So for me to draw a skeptical conclusion is wholly reasonable, but to then never address my temperate qs re this trial I admit did make me irate. So quintessentially British, old boy ;)!
Btw I can stick up for myself re criticisms of my work, don't worry y'self.
FYI, I've always preferred Swedish women to American or Cuban, so not so odd I'm in bed w/Entreq :rolleyes:!
I'm outta here :b!

I think Miguel maybe a little bit exaggerated about 250 systems. Assume each system is drawing 5A. Powering 250 system require 1250A current. Unless his power cable is superconductor and inside Orion has very very thick gauge wire, for this current, the power cable and Orion inside will simply overheat and melt.

I just got two Tripoint Thor SEs ground cables. Their impact on my sound greater than the nearly $50k cables in my system. There is little question that Miguel knows what he is talking about and that the grounding cables are as important as the grounding or filtering unit. I know how labor intensive and costly both the grounding cables and Troy Signature and Emperor units are. If he thinks his nice box is essential to performance, I am not in a position to say it is just for show and that he should use an inexpensive and unfinished box, such as others.

I am presently evaluating several expensive and impressive speaker wires and interconnects. All have quite different technologies and sounds and all highlight different aspects of recorded music. I have never heard anyone define what "perfect" music reproduction might be. Long ago I decided that there was no "perfect" loud speakers. I have had horns with and without compression drivers, ribbons, electrostats, omni-directionals, single "full range" drivers, and even electrostats in special gas bags. One just has to decide where to make or take your compromise in speakers and everything else in your system. No amount of rhetoric or accusation will be of help; listening might.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing