Tripoint troy signature grounding device

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So Lloyd, do we now refer to you as the mad professor? It's a shame your findings are not going to be replicated by many others if any, since you may be the only person here who's running Troy and Entreq in parallel. But interesting to see your mix'n'match ideas are bearing fruit. Further evidence that grounding may be the final frontier in system enhancement.

Not so much...that would imply I have some scientific background...I have none! ;) I do think that trying things can be useful...and it has been very helpful that the local Entreq/Stillpoints distributors are great.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Further evidence that grounding may be the final frontier in system enhancement.

Just a FWIW: although I have a dreadfully small amount of data, so far all that have responded have confirmed my hypothesis, which was that grounding problems existed in the audio equipment prior to use of the grounding systems. I have yet to encounter an audio system that has been properly grounded though, so what is not confirmed is whether a properly grounded system will benefit from grounding systems.

flat6

Jun 9, 2012
Just a FWIW: although I have a dreadfully small amount of data, so far all that have responded have confirmed my hypothesis, which was that grounding problems existed in the audio equipment prior to use of the grounding systems. I have yet to encounter an audio system that has been properly grounded though, so what is not confirmed is whether a properly grounded system will benefit from grounding systems.

hi Ralph, please let me know what measurements you require.
I should be able to provide you data - with & without using a Troy grounding device in the same system.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
hi Ralph, please let me know what measurements you require.
I should be able to provide you data - with & without using a Troy grounding device in the same system.

Did you get on to the Troy bandwagon ? that was quick :)) . I should have mine , hopefully soon .

flat6

Jun 9, 2012
Did you get on to the Troy bandwagon ? that was quick :)) . I should have mine , hopefully soon .

yes just rcvd, & now part of this "grounding device herd"! Baa...

LL21, I was thinking about your Zanden CDP grounding. your transport & DAC are prob running on DC (as are my Lyra preamps).
is it even logical to ground DC devices? perhaps we should only be grounding the AC outboard power supplies?! any experts &/or veterans care to chime in?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Great going , let us know how it settles in . Did you get the Thor upgrade version ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21, I was thinking about your Zanden CDP grounding. your transport & DAC are prob running on DC (as are my Lyra preamps).
is it even logical to ground DC devices? perhaps we should only be grounding the AC outboard power supplies?! any experts &/or veterans care to chime in?

Hi Flat6, I set up after speaking with Miguel, the owner of Tripoint, in fact, Miguel set up several of audioExotics displays, and they use the Zanden. 4box so he knew it well. I am grounding signal and the chassis through the screws on the IEC inlets of the power supplies. Definitely speak with Miguel who is knowledgeable and communicative.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Last Friday I inserted a Tripoint Troy signature with Thor powercable in my Tidal/Zanden/Trinity system. A Thor SE grounding cable was connected to (the grounding post of) my Trinity pc & drive. My goodness! This Thor SE grounding cable is something! What an additional power/speed/blackness and - most important of course - musicality. The Thor SE needs time to break in and I am pretty sure that after about 24 hours of playing it is not yet fully broken in. But this cable is phenomenal. So to all Tripoint Troy (Signature) owners: try to listen to the Troy SE grounding cable and you will probably be as amazed as I am. And to those who have not yet heard any Tripoint products: do yourself a favor because I would be amazed if you will not be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Last Friday I inserted a Tripoint Troy signature with Thor powercable in my Tidal/Zanden/Trinity system. A Thor SE grounding cable was connected to (the grounding post of) my Trinity pc & drive. My goodness! This Thor SE grounding cable is something! What an additional power/speed/blackness and - most important of course - musicality. The Thor SE needs time to break in and I am pretty sure that after about 24 hours of playing it is not yet fully broken in. But this cable is phenomenal. So to all Tripoint Troy (Signature) owners: try to listen to the Troy SE grounding cable and you will probably be as amazed as I am. And to those who have not yet heard any Tripoint products: do yourself a favor because I would be amazed if you will not be pleasantly surprised.
Congrats! That is super news. Enjoy! I honestly wanted to go for it, but I wanted to hear it first. Having listened at length to the Entreq Atlantis cables in my Tripoint Troy Signature...it adds something to the overall rhythm flow and strength of BEAT in my music I am immensely happy with. They are staying. Nevertheless, I have no doubt the Thor SE grounding cable is awesome...congrats again!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks Lloyd. I am sure that your Entreq cables sound very fine with your Troy signature. Nevertheless, if you have a chance please give the Tripoint Thor se grounding cable a listen. It is that good and I am sure you will love it.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Audiocrack, you are one of the few who has both the Troy Sig and the Troy Thor units in house . Care to elaborate on how much of an upgrade it is over stock . Will be of interest , thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Audiocrack, you are one of the few who has both the Troy Sig and the Troy Thor units in house . Care to elaborate on how much of an upgrade it is over stock . Will be of interest , thanks

Great question...I spoke with my dealer and went with Troy Sig with Thor PC, but I got a decent price.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Jazzhead, it is really too early to tell the differences between the 'regular' Troy signature that I am using in the Genesis/Kondo/Dcs set up and the Troy signature with the Thor power cable in my Tidal/Zanden/Trinity set up. I know Miguel went at great length with the latter and he apparently succeeded: the added explosiveness and enlargement of the soundstage is something I have not experienced with the 'regular' Troy in this degree. However, it is still too early to jump to conclusions because (i) both systems sound quite different (dipoles versus cone loudspeakers is one explanation, Kondo equipment differs from Zanden equipment another and finally the Trinity combo is to my ears unique), (ii) the Troy signature with Thor pc and Thor se grounding cable are not fully broken in yet, so therefore a fair and thorough comparison can only be made within the context of the same system after more playing hours. Maybe I am going to do this somewhere in the future but for now I will let the Troy signature with Thor pc upgrade and the Thor se grounding cable get more playing hours.

But I can say this: the raving in the Far East about the Tripoint products is in my opinion fully justified. In my - may I be so arrogant? - two high quality audio systems with quite different components (different ic's, pc's, loudspeaker cables, turntables, cartridges, acoustics, etc) I have experienced and hope for many years to come to experience what the Tripoint products do: adding musicality in a way that is probably hard to believe unless you experience it for yourself. In one word: magical!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Jazzhead, it is really too early to tell the differences between the 'regular' Troy signature that I am using in the Genesis/Kondo/Dcs set up and the Troy signature with the Thor power cable in my Tidal/Zanden/Trinity set up. I know Miguel went at great length with the latter and he apparently succeeded: the added explosiveness and enlargement of the soundstage is something I have not experienced with the 'regular' Troy in this degree. However, it is still too early to jump to conclusions because (i) both systems sound quite different (dipoles versus cone loudspeakers is one explanation, Kondo equipment differs from Zanden equipment another and finally the Trinity combo is to my ears unique), (ii) the Troy signature with Thor pc and Thor se grounding cable are not fully broken in yet, so therefore a fair and thorough comparison can only be made within the context of the same system. Maybe I am going to do this somewhere in the future but for now I will let the Troy signature with Thor pc upgrade and the Thor se grounding cable get more playing hours.

But I can say this: the raving in the Far East about the Tripoint products is in my opinion fully justified. In my - may I be so arrogant? - two high quality audio systems with quite different components (different ic's, pc's, loudspeaker cables, turntables, cartridges, acoustics, etc) I have experienced and hope for many to come to experience what the Tripoint products do: adding musicality in a way that is probably hard to believe unless you experience it for yourself. In one word: magical!

You have built a compelling case crack man. Maybe that will be my final frontier of investigation all things audio. I am not there yet.....

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Audiocrack , your post attributed or highlighted the improvements wrought , more to the Thor grounding lead than to the Tripoint Thor unit . At least that's how I interpreted it , maybe it is more a combination of the two . Maybe you will know how much of a contributing factor if you isolate the two , by isolating the Thor grounding wire with the Tripoint SE (stock). At least we have established the fact that those Far East characters are not of the fictitious type ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Audiocrack , your post attributed or highlighted the improvements wrought , more to the Thor grounding lead than to the Tripoint Thor unit . At least that's how I interpreted it , maybe it is more a combination of the two . Maybe you will know how much of a contributing factor if you isolate the two , by isolating the Thor grounding wire with the Tripoint SE (stock). At least we have established the fact that those Far East characters are not of the fictitious type ;)

In my own limited experience, I found a big uplift in performance with upgraded Grounding cables rather than bigger boxes. In fact, without the upgraded cables, I found on limited uplift in performance from just adding a bigger box. Adding upgraded cables was worth more...but with the upgraded cables, the bigger box pushed things quite a bit further along. So enjoy the path...;)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Of course it is the combination of the two: Troy signature and Thor se grounding cable. Please keep in mind that my second Thor signature has the Thor power cord while my first Thor signature has 'only' the standard power cord. Probably the Thor power cord attributes to the added speed/power/explosiveness that I experienced this weekend.

My father was a trumpetist and my son plays the clarinet. I know how dynamic a single music instrument can sound at home. I always felt that even the largest hifi systems/loudspeakers I have listened to lacked these dynamics/speed and power of real instruments (I never liked the horns I listened to in the past, but I have not heard the latest hornsystems like those of Cessaro and the Magico ultimates). This weekend I experienced dynamics I had not heard before in my systems. Addictive.

I have a pretty good idea how many Thor and Thor signatures devices have been sold. My comment in the past regarding the folks that attribute to the Audio Exotics website has nothing to do with all the persons that actually bought and enjoyed these Tripoint products. So please explain your final remark.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Purely in jest . I too was of a similar thought , but not any more after having experienced the Opus Prime DAC . All that has been written and glorified on the AE forum rings true . It may be yesterday's champ , but to mé it's tone and delivery is supremely gratifying . So it is with great anticipation that I await my Troy .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing